2013 Applicant Profiles and Admission Results

MicroB2012

Guys, I need help! I had an interview with a potential supervisor from U British Columbia. Before he decided to interview me, he asked me to send him my transcripts and my recs had to sent him their letters. He told me that he was interviewing a couple of other students and if he decided to offer me a position, I would have to apply to the experimental medicine program at UBC. 

Today, he offered me a position with a stipend (he has been awarded with a pretty good grant)!!! And asked me to inform him on my decision ASAP because he wants me to begin in August-September. 

But I'm kind of lost now... 

Does this mean that I have to apply to the program, but I'm unofficially accepted? (maybe because his grant would cover the expenses and not the department?)

i believe that's the way it works for graduate school in Canada. If 1 professor accepted you to his/her lab, then the program will accept you. You may consider this as unofficially accepted, but you'll still need to fill out the paperwork, application, and whatnot.

soo about this "wait list" message that UCSD bioinformatics sent out.. does anybody know if this is just a list of everybody who didnt get an invite or if there were actually full on rejections sent out in addition to a wait list.. im pretty confident the answer is the former but just wondering if anybody knows otherwise

soo about this "wait list" message that UCSD bioinformatics sent out.. does anybody know if this is just a list of everybody who didnt get an invite or if there were actually full on rejections sent out in addition to a wait list.. im pretty confident the answer is the former but just wondering if anybody knows otherwise

It actually went to everybody who applied period, including the ones who already have an invite.

So I straighten things out with UIC last week, and my app is now listed as complete. Should I call and confirm with them and make sure my application is still included with the priority deadline people, or would that be overkill?

Has anyone heard from Scripps (Ca)?  I applied to the biological sciences and I am anxious to hear back.  It is a pretty high ranked program, but the stats online that I could find for average acceptance was a 3.39 GPA and a 73% GRE.  Anyone heard anything different?  

Guys Im exited for this week's interview! I'm heading to U of Chicago.... debating on my blazer and suit jacket....

Good luck, and stay warm!

Which program are you interviewing with? I'll be there at the end of Feb. Let us know how it goes!

i believe that's the way it works for graduate school in Canada. If 1 professor accepted you to his/her lab, then the program will accept you. You may consider this as unofficially accepted, but you'll still need to fill out the paperwork, application, and whatnot.

I am in a similar mess with a lab in Germany. Many countries work this way: you find a lab and then apply to the program. I am not sure if a PI accepting you means that you will pretty much get into the program. I found a mentor in Germany and applied to the graduate program, but I have to give a formal presentation to the program after I start in his lab to determine if I get into the program. I am not sure what to do about this situation either. I think that the only thing we can really do is talk to our prospective mentor.

You can try to talk to others that have been in the Canadian system, but at least with Germany my advice has not been completely accurate I think due to program differences. All schools that use this system seem to have a completely different way of doing this it seems :(

I think that some of the canadian schools charge a lot more for international applicants and they do not accept as many international students. I would look into this for your program

Edited by mtlve

Has anyone heard from Scripps (Ca)?  I applied to the biological sciences and I am anxious to hear back.  It is a pretty high ranked program, but the stats online that I could find for average acceptance was a 3.39 GPA and a 73% GRE.  Anyone heard anything different?  

Don't know about stats, but I called and was told that invites trickle out up to the end of Feb......

Have any American students on here received interview offers from UWashington's Genome Sciences program? I was rejected by them a while back, but it doesn't look like they've offered interviews to any American students yet (at least none that have posted their results). There are only 3 results posted, 2 American rejections and 1 international interview offer from back in December. This is in contrast to last year, when there were 5 interview invites posted by now. Funding issues, maybe?

Anyway, I'm done waiting for the other schools to respond. I've received 7 interview offers and 1 rejection. I'm extremely fortunate. I thought for sure I'd be rejected everywhere, so I'm very excited by the results thus far. I'm only going to go on 4 interviews, so the pressure is on, but hopefully I'll pull through and receive a final acceptance from at least one program.

Got an email this morning from ASU saying that I was accepted to the department of Chemistry and Biochemistry. Visiting weekend march 8-9.

good luck everyone. 

Biochem,

Did you interview at ASU.  If so what was your impression.  I have 1 interview and it is with the Bo-Design program end of Feb.  They are affiliated with the Biochem departs. In fact if I read right, I can chose to rotate through the Chem and Biochem department labs......

@sassypants

Well there's a lone U of Washington Bioengineering interview posted in the results section... all's still quiet in my inbox from them though :-/  anyone else heard anything?

Just received my rejection email from them. A bummer for sure... with not too many other programs to go.

I really hope there is better news to come.

Applied:    5
Rejected:   2
Interviews: 0

Accepted:   0

ps: am I #1000? (edit: yes!)

Edited by elkheart

Biochem,

Did you interview at ASU.  If so what was your impression.  I have 1 interview and it is with the Bo-Design program end of Feb.  They are affiliated with the Biochem departs. In fact if I read right, I can chose to rotate through the Chem and Biochem department labs......

Genesplicer,

No i did not interview,

they emailed me saying that i was accepted and inviting me to visit the school from march 7-10. I know in the previous post i put from march 8-9 but i just got another email that has the list of full schedule of the weekend.