2013 Applicant Profiles and Admission Results

MicroB2012

Hey everyone!

Attended my top choice interview a couple weeks ago (Feb 1-3) and I was wondering a few things.

First, do they normally send out post-interview acceptances/rejections all at the same time? I know pre-interview rejections sometimes arrive much later, so really I want to know if no news is just no news or if it is bad news?

Also, anyone have a time frame for when they will send out the final email? How many weeks after the interview date? Generally, what day of the week/time of the day?

Hey everyone!

Attended my top choice interview a couple weeks ago (Feb 1-3) and I was wondering a few things.

First, do they normally send out post-interview acceptances/rejections all at the same time? I know pre-interview rejections sometimes arrive much later, so really I want to know if no news is just no news or if it is bad news?

Also, anyone have a time frame for when they will send out the final email? How many weeks after the interview date? Generally, what day of the week/time of the day?

I honestly and unfortunately believe that it varies. For the programs that I've seen, the post interveriew acceptances and rejections have been sent at the same time. May not be the case for all schools. For my first interview, I was notified 6 days later, at 7:30pm. Then the email from the school came the next afternoon, email to check website. My 2nd interview was 8 days ago, and they told us that we would have to wait up until a month, as they still have another interview weekend at the end of this month, even though in prior years they notified within a week. Check the results page to see if there are any relevant past trends.

Edited by ion_exchanger

Hey everyone!

Ion_exchanger is right; it does vary by program. Some programs want to wait until they interview all applicants, and other accept a certain number from each interview date. Some others accept only a top percentage at first to try and catch the applicants before they go to other programs, and then the rest have to wait until they finish all interviews. If you interview, I feel like the worst you can get, unless you're completely crazy and incompatible with the program, is to get waitlisted, so there will be hope for an acceptance no matter what.

As far as my programs, the first one, I got home on a Monday and was notified on Thursday, and the second I got home Wednesday morning and they notified me on Thursday. The first one was sent around 4 pm, and the second e-mail was sent around 9:45 pm... so that varies as well. Both programs still had interviews to conduct; I think they both accept a certain percentage of each interview weekend.

I'm sure you did great and that your programs are the ones who wait until they interview everyone. :) Good luck!

Well there was only one interview weekend. I heard it would take a couple weeks to hear back, and so I guess this Monday will be the two week point. Fingers crossed! Thanks guys.

Well at looks like next week will be my final round of interviews at a few UC programs.  These interviews do exactly what they were intended to do, they make me fall in love with every program I visit just due to the quality of the research, etc.  This is by far the most difficult part of the application process.  I'm getting stipend offers from a few programs, and acceptances with NO stpiends from a few other programs.  I'm waiting to hear back on stipend offers,  but it's stressful nonetheless.  

I think now I'm looking at UC Denver, UC Irvine, UC Santa Cruz, BCM and Boston University.  I also want to be polite to other applicants, and start declining offers.  Being married adds an extra degree of complexity to the decision making process.  Although she says she supports any choice I make, I know life will be more comfortable for her in certain cities and regions than other areas of the country.

Edited by bio0930

I got back from UIC for their interviews.  I don't know if GEMS is different, but we had group interviews and only 7 applicants were there.  They also had a couple early acceptances there visiting the facilities.

I'm definitely more anxious about the outcome of this one over Notre Dame, although I haven't heard anything more from them.

I got back from UIC for their interviews.  I don't know if GEMS is different, but we had group interviews and only 7 applicants were there.  They also had a couple early acceptances there visiting the facilities.

I'm definitely more anxious about the outcome of this one over Notre Dame, although I haven't heard anything more from them.

Hi Biohopeful! How many were early accepted in UIC who were there? If you don't mind sharing. Its really stressful as I haven't heard anything from them. And lost all hopes!

I interviewed with Biological Sciences, so I don't know how that differs from GEMS.  From what I heard, though, only about 2-3 applicants are early acceptances.  They're conducting interviews this weekend as well and matriculate 8-10 people into the program, from what I've heard.

I interviewed with Biological Sciences, so I don't know how that differs from GEMS.  From what I heard, though, only about 2-3 applicants are early acceptances.  They're conducting interviews this weekend as well and matriculate 8-10 people into the program, from what I've heard.

Thank you so much!

I hear Houston is very similar to LA. I'm looking forward to the program but not to the city.

I've been to Houston several times since I had an ex-girlfriend there, and it's just not that great. Chicago, where I am, is much better (except for the cold).

Congrats on Northwestern all. I was just on their campus the other day. I'll hold my opinions of it :-P

I just got my itinerary for my interview this weekend, it seems like I'll be meeting with 7 Professors for 30 minutes each. I'm not sure if it's just me, or a group of people, or what. 

Accepted to UMich! My first post-interview acceptance; I was beginning to get worried because they took a bit longer than they had said they would, getting decisions out.

Congrats to the IBiS folks, as well! Evanston's a great area, and with easy access to the best city ever (no, I'm not biased, what? ;o)

Congrats on Northwestern all. I was just on their campus the other day. I'll hold my opinions of it :-P

I just got my itinerary for my interview this weekend, it seems like I'll be meeting with 7 Professors for 30 minutes each. I'm not sure if it's just me, or a group of people, or what. 

what is your opinion?? seemed to be awesome research going on there.