Applying Fall 2013? Where?

EdNerd2013

LOL @ LadyStoneheart2013.... that's exactly how I feel about UT Austin and HGSE. Best of luck!

Anyone here know who posted the acceptance to UT Austin in Higher Ed???? I need to knowwwww where I stand...so I can move on with my life lol.

LOL @ LadyStoneheart2013.... that's exactly how I feel about UT Austin and HGSE. Best of luck!

Anyone here know who posted the acceptance to UT Austin in Higher Ed???? I need to knowwwww where I stand...so I can move on with my life lol.

It was me! I got an email today (well, day in Thailand...) about financial aid and it said to check my status. So I did. No financial aid for another 1-2 weeks, but my decision was there a few hours before they sent me an email to check the decision status!

best of luck to you too! .....still waiting for TC, oy vey.

Emvtgse, I was notified that I was admitted on the Feb. 4th and had to submit my preferences for assistantships last friday, February 22nd. Best of luck!!!  :)    
Hey Emg28, Thanks for the info, I finally called. They just said my application was still under faculty review. The weird thing is that on my account there was an update to my GREs on 2/11/13 so I don't know if everything was considered complete at the right time. Their process was somewhat irritating since not everything was electronic and all of my items came in over Christmas break. Oh well, got into Penn and if that's the way it plays out, I will still be very excited. I do live in Cambridge though so a move is the only thing I'm not completely sure of. Are you going to BC's days and Penn's? Congrats on all of your acceptances, you have a tough decision and travel schedule! Cheers!

Anyone know when Illinois Urbana-Champaign sends out acceptances/rejections for Ph.D. programs? Seems inconsistent on the search results page and I've heard nothing since my application was complete in early December. I tried emailing but didn't get a response. It's one of the only schools I still need to hear back from before I can make my final decision and start planning a move, so I'm eager for any news.
Which program are you applying to? Education policy, c&i, Ed psychology? I only know of Ed policy and c&i. But I emailed last week for Ed policy and the secretary said this week or next. C&I got to me in the end of jan for an acceptance.

Hey Emg28, Thanks for the info, I finally called. They just said my application was still under faculty review. The weird thing is that on my account there was an update to my GREs on 2/11/13 so I don't know if everything was considered complete at the right time. Their process was somewhat irritating since not everything was electronic and all of my items came in over Christmas break. Oh well, got into Penn and if that's the way it plays out, I will still be very excited. I do live in Cambridge though so a move is the only thing I'm not completely sure of. Are you going to BC's days and Penn's? Congrats on all of your acceptances, you have a tough decision and travel schedule! Cheers!

Emg28,

I just checked again on BC's agora portal and it looks like they added/reviewed something on my file yesterday.  I'm hoping some decision was made and it is on its way.  You were told via postal service right? Did you ever get an email or did you ever review your file to see what it says?  Oh I hate being in limbo and just want to know either way :)  Hoping for some decisions this week.

It was me! I got an email today (well, day in Thailand...) about financial aid and it said to check my status. So I did. No financial aid for another 1-2 weeks, but my decision was there a few hours before they sent me an email to check the decision status!   best of luck to you too! .....still waiting for TC, oy vey.
Did you apply early? I'm guilty of applying last minute. It's probably why I haven't heard anything yet. Lol Congratulations either way!!

Emg28,

I just checked again on BC's agora portal and it looks like they added/reviewed something on my file yesterday. I'm hoping some decision was made and it is on its way. You were told via postal service right? Did you ever get an email or did you ever review your file to see what it says? Oh I hate being in limbo and just want to know either way :) Hoping for some decisions this week.

Actually I was told via email from the program and then received an official letter via email and a packet in the mail as well. My agora account has never been updated to reflect my acceptance, so I wouldn't base anything off of the website. I was left in the dark till I got the email. I know this doesn't help much but hopefully you'll hear soon.

I'm debating whether I will visit both BC and U Penn. It will pretty much be determined if I get someone to host me overnight and if I get admitted to HGSE. All their visit/preview days are a few days apart. I'm not sure if I can handle all of them at once lol. Plus, BC was pretty bad at communicating whether hosts would be available or not. One grad student in Admissions told me they never offer hosts. Another emailed me a few days later saying they were getting volunteers, the Admissions Director told me "soon" and the link requesting hosts wasn't sent out till yesterday. All applicants will be notified if theyre hosted or not till next Monday. Which in my pocket book, that hurts a bit lol. Is there something big happening that weekend in March? I can't remember, but ticket prices are super high.

Edit: I should add visit day is March 22nd for BC

Edited by emg28

Did you apply early? I'm guilty of applying last minute. It's probably why I haven't heard anything yet. Lol Congratulations either way!!

emg28,

yeah haha I sent mine in Nov 5th. I was paranoid being all the way over here in Thailand so I turned in everything as early as I could. Thanks! I'm sure you'll hear soon! Are you going to visit UMichigan?

Cool thanks for the update!  I'm contemplating the bus or train from Boston to Philly to hopefully save on funds.  Still waiting on more information but am being proactive since apparently the RSVP date is tomorrow.

Guest HEPhD13

Cool thanks for the update! I'm contemplating the bus or train from Boston to Philly to hopefully save on funds. Still waiting on more information but am being proactive since apparently the RSVP date is tomorrow.

Boston to Philly by bus is super easy and cheap! When my cousin was going to HGSE she would come and visit Philly all the time. Check Megabus, boltbus, and Greyhound Express (NOT regular greyhound!). If you need directions from the bus station to Penn, just let me know. If they don't host you, Apple Hostels is a great, cheap, safe, and clean alternative!

emg28,

yeah haha I sent mine in Nov 5th. I was paranoid being all the way over here in Thailand so I turned in everything as early as I could. Thanks! I'm sure you'll hear soon! Are you going to visit UMichigan?

Yes, I'll be at Michigan. I just hope it's not snowing! I really don't want to get stranded in Ann Arbor. My friend got stranded in Vermont yesterday. Are you going?

Yes, I'll be at Michigan. I just hope it's not snowing! I really don't want to get stranded in Ann Arbor. My friend got stranded in Vermont yesterday. Are you going?

I'm going to the Michigan visit day too! Have they told you yet whether they'll let you crash at a grad student's place? I signed up and I'm waiting... and still waiting... heh.

Also, I've been checking the weather in Ann Arbor since getting admitted and it has literally snowed there at least 3x a week for the past month. As a native Californian, this scares me. :(

I'm going to the Michigan visit day too! Have they told you yet whether they'll let you crash at a grad student's place? I signed up and I'm waiting... and still waiting... heh.

Also, I've been checking the weather in Ann Arbor since getting admitted and it has literally snowed there at least 3x a week for the past month. As a native Californian, this scares me. :(

I haven't heard anything either. All I've gotten is the reminder to RSVP. Which makes me feel like I forgot to submit my form online lol. I went to school back East in Boston...but Midwest snow is serious business! lol. Even I'm a little intimidated. Snow Snow go awaaaaaaaaaaaay.

If it makes you feel better, I recently read that Boston actually is the windiest city in the U.S., not Chicago (Chicago ranks far below it). Maybe that says something about Midwestern vs. Bostonian weather craziness as a whole! ;)

If it makes you feel better, I recently read that Boston actually is the windiest city in the U.S., not Chicago (Chicago ranks far below it). Maybe that says something about Midwestern vs. Bostonian weather craziness as a whole! ;)

Chicago is actually named the windy city because of the politicians being "windbags". It has nothing to do with climate. (former history major here)

Not trying to be know-it-all like. I just think it's interesting!

Edited by lothloriensage

We got snowed in/out at KU for interviews. A bunch of flights got canceled, so a lot of people couldn't make it. Those of us who did basically just had a vacation because the university was closed and they couldn't hold the interviews. Now, we're all catching up on Skype. Snow makes this stuff even more stressful!

OMG.

See, "cold" temperature on its own is not bad. But cold + wind = BRUTAL.

Same thing applies when talking "hot" vs. "hot + humid."

I *think* I prefer cold weather to hot weather, but this Alabamian might have a change of heart after experiencing a real Boston winter (I visited in January, but it was a mild winter).

Edited by CQE

emg and nicolemae, you'll have to tell me what you guys think of Michigan after your visits! I won't be able to attend Michigan's preview day :( but I applied to several assistantships and am waiting to hear back from them. (Was it just me or was that process ridiculously complicated? Yikes.) I'm very interested to hear how their preview day goes.

As a warm weather climate native who braved some Midwestern snow recently, just wanted to say good luck and have a safe trip! Bundle up and stay warm!

emg and nicolemae, you'll have to tell me what you guys think of Michigan after your visits! I won't be able to attend Michigan's preview day :( but I applied to several assistantships and am waiting to hear back from them. (Was it just me or was that process ridiculously complicated? Yikes.) I'm very interested to hear how their preview day goes.   As a warm weather climate native who braved some Midwestern snow recently, just wanted to say good luck and have a safe trip! Bundle up and stay warm!
I haven't heard back from assistantships but I believe Kattie the coordinator wrote that we'd hear back by the 11th. Applying to them was so INTENSE! Lol I applied to 10 positions. But I have no clue what the average amount of interviews is or how we'll go about interviewing the day of. When I visited U of A we had two rounds of interviews, you either got a call back or not. So I'm curious how compact the day will be. I'll let you know how it goes!

Has anyone else heard anything from UT-Austin? Just curious to see where they are in their process!
According to the results page, two people have already heard back from the Master's program in Higher Ed via email. But the coordinator said we'd hear by next week in his mass email to all applicants. Hoping to get an email soon. I've been checking my app status but no avail. Lol Best of luck!!

I thought Berkeley offers were supposed to go out this week? The results certainly don't reflect that. Anyone have any info?

I got the official link to my letter today from Berkeley. I was notified by my adviser and the department before I received my letter today, though.

Thank you! And congratulations. :) Who is your POI?