Anyone else losing their damn mind?

gradorbust

I spent yesterday eating ice cream and checking my email every hour to make sure the email was still there. :lol:  I am beyond excited and the first words out of my mentor's mouth was "OH MY GOD!" so she's excited too. :D  Can't wait to see her on Monday (and to see the rest of the professors and tell them, because I've only told a handful).

We're still waiting on the official letter to find out more details and stuff, but the lady that contacted me was one of my POIs and I definitely plan to get in contact with her about her research at some point because it was very interesting. :lol:

As for the whole email thing - I actually got the email an hour after it was sent because I was watching TV with my sister and not checking my phone/computer. :lol:  Go figure, right?

Thank you guys!!!! I am so excited to see the next step begin (although absolutely terrified) and I can't wait for the rest of you to get accepted too!!

I just got an acceptance to my first-choice program. :lol:  More info will come with the "official" acceptance, but they're providing a bunch of money as travel support to come out for their welcome weekend and the prof who wants to work with me (I think? She's the one that emailed me) is going to try to be there to meet up with me that weekend - she's on Sabbatical!!!   I am on top of the world. My mentor is BEYOND excited, as is my Mom. Oh my gosh!!! I'm going to graduate school!!!!!   Mentor is talking about possibly multiple acceptances, etc... B)  I feel so cool.
As you should. Congratulations, that's fantastic!

The downside to getting into graduate school.....

My mother is suddenly an expert in all things grad school. :wacko:  This is going to be a long six+ months, trying to explain to her that she doesn't know what she thinks she does...

First, I have to say congratulations to Nohika. :)

Second... am I the only one who has had second thoughts about one of their schools? If I'm only accepted there (and I'm starting to doubt I'll be accepted anywhere!), I'm not actually sure I would attend...

Second... am I the only one who has had second thoughts about one of their schools? If I'm only accepted there (and I'm starting to doubt I'll be accepted anywhere!), I'm not actually sure I would attend...

No, I totally dropped 2 schools off my list right before the deadlines (Indiana and WSU). Then, there is a third school that I've read some stories about. For admission purposes, I'll remain vague. However, let me put it this way: I'm not interested in taking 8 years to graduate, you know. 

Edited by Willows

I'm with Willows on this one. There were a couple schools I cut from my list of potentials after giving them (and the specific research interests of the faculty) more consideration. I applied to ten programs across nine schools and would be delighted with any one of them - especially with how few slots are available for anything anywhere right now. The whole pool is so thick with qualified applicants that it's made beggars of us all.

I cut three schools from my list at the beginning of December. I didn't have much luck corresponding with faculty, and thus figured that they weren't that interested. Aside from that, I've had second thoughts about one program to which I applied. But that's prolly more an ego thing on my part. I'll see where the money lands before I dwell on it.

Received an email from the graduate coordinator of the department, saying:

"The faculty and admissions committee of the University of Utah Chemistry Department are pleased to recommend you for admissions to the Graduate School beginning fall 2013.  Please see the attachment for further information."

I have been told that this means I am accepted by the program, they are just waiting for my decision and then it will be reviewed by the university for final admittance. There is also a letter attached in the email, explaining the stipend they will be providing me, health care package, etc.

Any insight?

Edited by zs3889

"The faculty and admissions committee of the University of Utah Chemistry Department are pleased to recommend you for admissions to the Graduate School beginning fall 2013.  Please see the attachment for further information."

I have been told that this means I am accepted by the program, they are just waiting for my decision and then it will be reviewed by the university for final admittance. There is also a letter attached in the email, explaining the stipend they will be providing me, health care package, etc.

Any insight?

Congrats!!!

Any insight?

I've not received anything like that, but it sounds like an acceptance offer to me. Congratulations!!

Thanks!! What a relief, did not expect to hear back this early at all, and this is actually my second-top choice!

I've not received anything like that, but it sounds like an acceptance offer to me. Congratulations!!

LMac

I notice you applied to CU Boulder too, if you hear back from them anytime soon, do post it in this thread! (it's one of the schools I applied too)

ok this is going to sound very whiny so I apologize ahead of time but I've been in a bit of a funk this past week because I got rejected from my top choice. The weird thing is I didn't even realize it was my top choice until I got rejected from it. Also they sent out  an encouraging "we're really happy you applied for us, adcom is undergoing final review" email that totally made me optimistic >_<  

I feel like I shouldn't complain since I already have 3 interviews lined up and I have friends who don't even have one. But at the same time I feel bummed thanks to the results page I know a bunch of invites have gone out for schools and by virtue of not receiving an invite that basically means I'm out and am basically waiting for a bunch of rejections.  I feel like due to the competitiveness of the programs I applied to, if you get an invite to one of the top programs its a sign you'll be invited for a bunch of other top programs while if you don't any then...sucks to be you.  Which honestly wouldn't be such a big deal if my parents weren't completely " have you heard back from harvard yet?" EVERY 5 SEC!....gotta love asian parents lol

I'm sure I'll be happy and excited once I'm back in school!  But this winter break of not having to do anything means I'm just checking the results page every day, which is horrible for my mental state.  *sigh* oh well! OPTIMISM! If I force myself to listen to happy songs I'll cheer up right? lol ^_^

Someone with a 3.98 GPA and crazy GREs (164V, 161Q, 5.0AW) got accepted to one of my programs via website today, 2 weeks earlier than the earliest result last year (and on a SUNDAY? I didn't know to stay ever vigilant on Sundays!). This does nothing to encourage me with my 3.88, 164/156/4.5. My freaking out has just kicked into high gear and I want to curl up somewhere and cry but I have 3 kids to put to bed then homework. :(

Applications are in.  I am feeling really, really inadequate.  I could only afford to apply to two schools.  My GPA is okay (3.6), I did all right on the GRE... but I have absolutely no idea what my peers applying to Egyptology programs are like, or even how many there are.  I am jealous of people in fields who have some feel of the competition.

Applications are in.  I am feeling really, really inadequate.  I could only afford to apply to two schools.  My GPA is okay (3.6), I did all right on the GRE... but I have absolutely no idea what my peers applying to Egyptology programs are like, or even how many there are.  I am jealous of people in fields who have some feel of the competition.

I feel you - I'm only applying to three schools, GPA is around the same, and I have NO idea of what the pool of applicants is like :/ it's hard just not knowing.

That being said, just submitted my first application and this is SO nerve-wracking already.

I feel you - I'm only applying to three schools, GPA is around the same, and I have NO idea of what the pool of applicants is like :/ it's hard just not knowing.

That being said, just submitted my first application and this is SO nerve-wracking already.

Heh, I'm going nuts and the deadlines for my programs aren't even until Tuesday :P

I know I have strong letters of recommendation, but I just feel like I'm nothing compared to the folks who can apply to seven or eight programs and have had more opportunities :/

What's killing me at the moment is work for the summer. It's impossible to apply for these positions and internships until I know what I'll be doing in the fall and some of the deadlines are going to cut it very close relative to when admissions decisions will be released. This also includes outside scholarships, too -- can't apply for those with a bunch of nebulous plans and no information about where I attend.

Basically, the next month or so will be brutal. ... Time to freeze myself, Cartman-style!

I got a thing in the mail from one of my schools today. It was just the information for tracking my application status. It nearly gave me a heart attack though..

The same thing happened to me this week with my CUNY application.  Just about had a heart attack when I saw the email in my inbox; the subject heading just said: "Graduate Application."  I was ridiculously excited, then ridiculously disappointed when it turned out just to be a confirmation that they received all my materials... :P

Take heart! We're all in this together! Welcome to our crazy world!

Welcome, indeed!  Hang tough - we'll know about our applications one way or another very soon. :)

Heh, I'm going nuts and the deadlines for my programs aren't even until Tuesday :P

I know I have strong letters of recommendation, but I just feel like I'm nothing compared to the folks who can apply to seven or eight programs and have had more opportunities :/

Yeah, I came into my major super late (I never even declared until senior year!), and while I'm positive about my choice and my direction, I missed out on building an appropriate resume for the field. I'm hoping my schools like multidisciplinary... I couldn't afford a bunch of programs, either. 

If you're going nuts already, just remember that in the grand scheme of things, a couple of months to find out about acceptances/rejections is nothing compared to the amount of time you'll be spending in a great graduate program when you get there!