Does everyone have set back-up plans?

sing something

54 members have voted

1. 1. What is your back-up plan, if you don't get accepted with this round of applications?

• Seek a paid RA/lab manager position
    • Seek a volunteer RA position
    • Terminal masters
    • Other job in the field
    • Job outside of the field
    • Haven't considered it
    • Other

I didn't assume you were being snarky, or insinuating anything, just providing rationale for applying to a select few schools :)

Well they are all great schools, and wish everyone the best!

I think we've deviated a bit from the original question, however.

If I have to go another round, I'll likely continue working my lab coordinating position and continue my research with my quant professor. I might take a course in matrix algebra or lock down TAing either experimental psych or intro to psych stats. I hope it doesn't come to that, but it could happen. I'll likely lock down those plans if I don't hear anything by mid to late January.

I only applied to three schools as well. I know where I want to be, I know the programs that are a perfect match for my interests, and I won't settle until I get in. For me, it wasn't about 'casting a net' and hoping to get in somewhere. Plus, $100 application fee per school is a lot to stomach for schools that aren't an absolute perfect match.

Same reasoning here :) Glad I'm not the only one who's "crazy". Good luck to you!

I guess I will get into one of the education master programs I applied to. Or I will just disappear...

I'm doing the same. The job prospects of a PhD in Psychology scared me away.

I think it's good to have backup plans -- I had a couple. It helps take off some of the stress if you know what you'll do if you don't get in. Part of my plan was definitely to reapply. But here's hoping none of you need your backup plans -- Good Luck, everyone!

Thanks everyone for your responses! I figured I would post on here now that I actually have a back-up plan. After considering all of the advice I have received from my mentors, family, and people on this site and talking over ideas with my boyfriend, we have decided on the following, if I don't get accepted this year:

We will move back to our home town and find an apartment. We will both register as substitute teachers. The city we are from has a major shortage of substitute teachers and both of my parents are teachers in the area, so we should be able to get steady work (outside of food service) this way. I will contact local universities and colleges to inquire about volunteer research opportunities. There is one lab in particular that would be ideal to volunteer in, as it fits very well with my research interests (there is no lab like this at my undergrad, so staying here would not help me). I also plan to audit some chemistry and bio classes to improve my hard science knowledge. In this time I should also publish my senior thesis, giving me my first authorship on a published empirical research paper. I will reapply next year, this time to many more schools, and will revise my SOP to be more program specific, as well as more specific in regards to my research interests and ideas. And of course, I will read, read, and read some more in my field to increase my knowledge base.

I feel prepared to enter into a phd program in my field and I couldnt be more excited to hear back from the schools I applied to, but I also know I have a lot to learn. I am so at peace with this back-up plan, I might cut down my application status/email checking to just once a day, haha.

Good luck everyone!

If I'm not accepted this year, I really want to get some training/take some classes so that I can work as a neuroimaging technician somewhere. (I'm a behavioral neuro person, so it's relevant and requires just enough skill that I won't be competing with lots of undergrads).

That being said...I'm not sure where I would get this type of training outside of a graduate program. I figure I could pay per class at some grad programs, but of anyone knows of a more streamlined training program (or knows more about general requirements to be an imagining tech) let me know!

• 2 weeks later...

If I'm not accepted this year, I have a few years of work experience in the tech field, so I'll probably get the highest-paying job I can find and save money for a year, look for a volunteer research position, and then reapply on the next round of applications. I'm not really sure what I'll do after that if I'm rejected again... but at least if I have a year to work and save money before heading into my PhD program, I'll be able to afford plenty of ramen. :)

If I don't get in, I'll continue working full-time as a study coordinator. I have a few publications in preparation and will probably have more by the time next year comes around. I really hope I don't have to go through the process more than twice!! (However, only going through it once would be fantastic! We'll see...)

This is almost exactly me.

Honestly, if I don't get in, I'm going to do some serious evaluation of my plans. Re-applying may be in my future... but it may not. I guess we'll see!  I'm fortunate to have some great professors who are willing to make calls for me, so I am hoping that if I don't get in, I will have a good sense of whether another year here and a few more publications would be enough to get me in or not.  Blech.  Here's hoping it works out!

Like some others on this thread, I'm working in research lab now and would continue if I don't get in.  My husband is about to finish his PhD, and the plan was for him to follow me to where I get in to school.  If I don't get in, then he gets to pick the place instead for where he can work, and I'll follow him.  I like my job now, so I'd be fine with continuing as a full-time RA, but I would likely move and try to find a similar job.  I'm not sure yet if I would re-apply next year - 3 years experience isn't all that much better than 2, there's no way to improve my GPA or GREs, and the schools I am interested in would be the same 10 that just rejected me.  I would try to find a job I am interested in, whether it's in research lab or not.