Linguistics 2013

Des Grieux

What does it mean when some people have received interviews, rejections, acceptances, and waitlists, but I've heard nothing? (There was a burst of rejections from Penn, but I got nothing)

NYU has been mute for me, and Rutgers still says no decision ... I saw one NYU rejection but that was all.

You would think they would have created the cohort all at once.

And the famously late MIT and UMass ... It would have been nice of them to release decisions early; many people would accept off the bat and clear up other schools waitlists.

Odd question: has anyone noticed that some schools acceptances are pretty much all internationals, while others are clearly biased towards Americans? Do you think this reflects the type of people who applied or do you think there is some kind of policy there? I know I am going to step on toes here, but I feel the only reason I am seriously considered at McGill is because I am Canadian and take some of my classes there, while NYU clearly has an international bias (and I'm a triple American-Canadian-South African citizen, making me probably not too international). Any thoughts here?

UMass adcom is officially "reading files," whatever that means, but I'm not sure if we will hear anytime soon since their admissions weekend is not till April! No clue about MIT, though from looking at stats from previous years, I would think we will hear back relatively soon. I don't think there is an international bias, but I know most schools try to regularly accept at least a few international students. And for good reason I think, as their experience--language-related and otherwise--often contributes a great deal to the department. I seriously doubt your Canadian citizenship is the reason McGill wants you! UCSC has a phenomenal program and if you've already received an acceptance from there, you must be a very competitive applicant!  :)

Odd question: has anyone noticed that some schools acceptances are pretty much all internationals, while others are clearly biased towards Americans? Do you think this reflects the type of people who applied or do you think there is some kind of policy there? I know I am going to step on toes here, but I feel the only reason I am seriously considered at McGill is because I am Canadian and take some of my classes there, while NYU clearly has an international bias (and I'm a triple American-Canadian-South African citizen, making me probably not too international). Any thoughts here?

Hmm, I was kind of under the impression that 'international' had to do with your citizenship (i.e. how much it costs for you to go to school somewhere), not where you go to school. I would think that you would pay domestic fees in both Canada and the U.S. on account of your triple-citizenship? 

We MIT-ers should hold a waiting party of our own, oh man. The anxiety is building! I'm also glad to hear (well, not GLAD, but you know) that their application website is simply just that way, as I remember also being taken aback by their lack of info.

Congrats to funchaku on Rutgers, and best of luck to everyone still waiting!

Oh right, my main point, which I forgot to make, was that even if NYU does let in a lot of international students, I can't see that as being, at least from a financial point of view, more attractive than letting in domestic students (whose applications are just as strong), if they guarantee funding and tuition waivers to all their students. At my school (a large Canadian university), the MA cohort has like one international student and same with the PhD1 cohort for precisely that reason. So I guess I've always viewed accepting almost all internationals as a sign of their university/department being able to afford to, not an international bias per se. I could be completely wrong, though! In any case, I echo funchaku's sentiment that you were probably interviewed at McGill because you're a strong applicant, not because of your citizenship! 

I seriously doubt your Canadian citizenship is the reason McGill wants you!

I agree, though there might be some small preference for Canadian citizens. I think it might be cheaper when it comes to tuition reimbursement, so the department saves money that way. It seems fairly reasonable; I know Arizona also has a slight preference for Arizona residents. But, that being said, they probably want you to attend McGill, Phonolog, because you're a good match and a dedicated student. 

I've heard that the UCs very strongly favor California residents, especially with all their recent debt. Is this true? I would like it to be so, based upon my rejections thus far...

As far as the US goes, it goes by state/provincial residency. I'm a Quebec resident, so they have to spend far less money financing me. But going over the Dept of Ed data, UCSC linguistics is 6% international, while NYU's is very high.

As for me, I'm not very competitive outside of my writing samples, conferences, and LORs, my grades and GREs are horrific (3.45 with multiple F's, 161V, 153Q, no HS diploma). So schools with large amounts of applicants that can throw out lots of applications through simple numerical measures can easily ignore me. Which is why I believe my UCLA and OSU rejects were quick. But I would have thought the NYU reject would be quick, but nothing yet.

I've heard that the UCs very strongly favor California residents, especially with all their recent debt. Is this true? I would like it to be so, based upon my rejections thus far...

Unfortunately, I don't think so. In fact, for linguistics Ph.D programs, this would be a bit silly. You can get residency after two years if you're an American citizen and then start "paying" in-state tuition. Many of the UC's (Cal, UCLA, UCSB, etc.) have top linguistics programs, and they are well-funded. In spite of all of the debt, I couldn't imagine them NOT doing what every other top program does, public or private, especially knowing it's only 2 years out of 5 (or 6 or 7 or...) of "extra" money. The budget shortfall would have to be really bad before they start having a "strong" preference for CA residents. 

That being said, I can imagine them doing what a lot of public schools do: seeing in-state residents as an extra bonus, but I doubt it really tips the scale in anyone's favor. 

I know rejections are hard, mylime, but all of the schools you applied to are very competitive. Most of the schools you applied to probably get over 100 applications for around 6 spots. Your rejections say more about how competitive these programs are rather than your abilities as a grad student. 

Edited by this_is_a_wug

Unfortunately, I don't think so. In fact, for linguistics Ph.D programs, this would be a bit silly. You can get residency after two years if you're an American citizen and then start "paying" in-state tuition. Many of the UC's (Cal, UCLA, UCSB, etc.) have top linguistics programs, and they are well-funded. In spite of all of the debt, I couldn't imagine them NOT doing what every other top program does, public or private, especially knowing it's only 2 years out of 5 (or 6 or 7 or...) of "extra" money. The budget shortfall would have to be really bad before they start having a "strong" preference for CA residents. 

That being said, I can imagine them doing what a lot of public schools do: seeing in-state residents as an extra bonus, but I doubt it really tips the scale in anyone's favor. 

I know rejections are hard, mylime, but all of the schools you applied to are very competitive. Most of the schools you applied to probably get over 100 applications for around 6 spots. Your rejections say more about how competitive these programs are rather than your abilities as a grad student. 

Thanks, wug. I guess I'm suffering from a self-flagellating notion that if I were "good enough," I would have gotten into X school. But who can definitively say why anyone gets rejected? UT Austin was my "safety" for a number of reasons (I'm beginning to think that term doesn't apply in graduate applications, though) and my one admit so far, Georgetown, was the app I felt the worst about--I was even late submitting my transcripts. So who knows! I sure don't.

Thanks, wug. I guess I'm suffering from a self-flagellating notion that if I were "good enough," I would have gotten into X school. But who can definitively say why anyone gets rejected? UT Austin was my "safety" for a number of reasons (I'm beginning to think that term doesn't apply in graduate applications, though) and my one admit so far, Georgetown, was the app I felt the worst about--I was even late submitting my transcripts. So who knows! I sure don't.

I am going through similar emotions. Santa Cruz was my number one, I wanted it the most. But my rejections still hurt, like I should have gotten in everywhere if I was good enough ...

I am going through similar emotions. Santa Cruz was my number one, I wanted it the most. But my rejections still hurt, like I should have gotten in everywhere if I was good enough ...

Exactly... It disrupts your personal narrative! I have to step back and remind myself that my grad applications are not me. But it's hard.

Just heard back from MIT!!!! :) :)

Best of luck to the other MIT applicants; hope you guys hear back too! 

I just did too!  :D  PM me!!

Do you guys know if all of the admitted students were notified by phone today? And do you know if there are applicants who have been wait-listed?

Do you guys know if all of the admitted students were notified by phone today? And do you know if there are applicants who have been wait-listed?

Unfortunately, I didn't think to ask either question. :( I do know, though, that twelve students were admitted in total out of 199 applicants.

Whoever might care, from UMass:

We are reading the applications and considering who to accept.  No decisions
have yet been made, and we do not have a firm date by which they will be
made.  Probably decisions will be available in a week to ten days.

Did they call you 3AM in the morning?

Hahaha no thank god! It was around 1PM EST. 

Thanks Phonolog for the UMass info. They are so consistently delayed, it's frustrating. 

Whoever might care, from UMass:

We are reading the applications and considering who to accept.  No decisions

have yet been made, and we do not have a firm date by which they will be

made.  Probably decisions will be available in a week to ten days.

I also emailed them last week. They said they hoped to make the decision in slightly more than one week. I expected it to be the end of this week, but it seems that we have to be more patient. I'm pretty sure that I'm out, because I just realized that one of my letters of recommendation to UMass is MISSING! OMG how come I didn't check that page one month ago? I guess it's too late to do anything now*o*, so best wishes to other applicants here.