Linguistics 2013

Des Grieux

First acceptance today, UCLA  :D ! So relieved that I have one under my belt and can rest a little easier now. I noticed a couple of UPenn acceptances on the results page. I interviewed with them about a week ago, but haven't heard anything yet. I'm guessing that's a no? :-\ Anyone know anything?

Congrats funchaku! great school, great location. I'm not in acquisition but I applied there also... still waiting.  :unsure:

Did you get invited to any kind of visit day for accepted folks?

Ugh, the wait is definitely the hardest part  :unsure:. They mentioned an open house for accepted students March 11-12. I hope you hear back soon! Good luck!

Congrats funchaku! great school, great location. I'm not in acquisition but I applied there also... still waiting.  :unsure:

Did you get invited to any kind of visit day for accepted folks?

Seeing as three people posted acceptances yesterday, I'm not holding out much hope for UCLA, personally. Especially since it doesn't appear that the letters were personalized - they would have just automatically sent them.

First acceptance today, UCLA  :D ! So relieved that I have one under my belt and can rest a little easier now.

Congrats, funchaku! Seems like it's a perfect fit for your interests.

I've got some good news as well: I got an invitation to the Open House at UCSD today. Can't wait to visit!

I've got some good news as well: I got an invitation to the Open House at UCSD today. Can't wait to visit!

Awesome ... and coincdentally I just saw Bakovic`s (UCSD) book got published about feeding and counterfeeding ... I saw him give a presentation about a year ago on it. It was incredibly confusing ... he's a really smart guy. Don't know if you're into phonology but I hope you get accepted and get to work with him.

Thanks Des Grieux, and congratulations to you as well!! Hope the interviews go great! 

On a different note, has anyone heard from UPenn? I've been going crazy since the 2 accepted postings showed up on the results page. 

Yes, I was waiting to hear back from three unis. All three have already sent some people acceptances, with campus visits coming up very soon... Is there still hope?

Also, anybody have any idea how likely you are to get an offer if you've had an interview?

On a different note, has anyone heard from UPenn? I've been going crazy since the 2 accepted postings showed up on the results page. 

Yes I got an acceptance to UPenn this morning!!  

In the interest of anonymity I didn't submit on the results board or report here, but since you asked~ 

Their visit day is indeed the 22nd. 

Anyone heard from Maryland or JHU? 

I think Maryland has been giving out interviews and acceptances, but I haven't heard anything from them yet either.....

Anyone get invited to Maryland / UCSC open houses? I just wanna know how near it is and wether or not I should still continue hoping for good news from them....

Thanks morphoguy for the info, and congrats!! I had a phone interview w UMD last week and they are having an open house march 7-8. JHU is having their interview weekend on those two days.

I would be grateful if anyone could give me any further idea as to how the UK PhD system works,

and what the assets and drawbacks of such system are, compared to the US one (the issue of funding put aside).

Edited by HollyCoriander

I initially didn't think people on this forum were interesed in non-US schools as well so in my list I didn't include the UK schools I applied to. But given that there seems to be some interest I'll confess that I applied for an M.Phil at Cambridge and got an offer this morning! :)

I would be grateful if anyone could give me any further idea as to how the UK PhD system works,

and what the assets and drawbacks of such system are, compared to the US one (the issue of funding put aside).

I think a lot of what I said earlIer still stands. What is your nationality? Depending on your background the university culture might be a major, difficult adjustment effecting your success.

If you're US, the system is rather singular. Having studied and degreed US, British-style (South Africa) and continental (France) systems, you must be very clear on what exactly you are looking for, what you want to work in, and where you want to work.

US (and the Canadian-type UK-US hybrid, becoming more US-type): You will be very integrated into your community and cohort. You're supervisors will be likely hands-on, and you will be expected to debate. Your professors can be your mentors/colleagues/friends. You'll be divorced from mainstream society and generally cultivated towards professorships.

UK: You will be autonomous, generally writing with supervision varying upon the type of professor/researcher you are under. Your dissertation will often be longer than a US (but this is so variable). If you want more support and career grooming, MA and MRes are better and they often can give you a lead-in into non-academic positions as a fall-back career. Furthermore, MA's often get academic positions. You won't be teaching as much as in the US; you can probably occupy a near-full time job, depending in your organizational and time-management skills. At OxCam, UCL, Edinburgh, or Mamchester, you won't have very many employment barriers. The smaller universities remain unknown outside the UK (perhaps York, or any campus of the University of London sound good). UK and Europe are smaller and easy to travel around, you can get to more conferences. And you probably should be publishing before graduation in the Uk, while this is not necessarily the case in the US. Failing a thesis defense is very common in the UK, while Defense is often just a formality in the US - in the US you've been vetted for 5 years, they know if you're good or not. But your autonomy in the Uk means you could get all the way to the end even if you are not ready to move on. Don't expect to have a ton of time toxic this, and settle for an MPhil if necessary.

Continental (as well as some Australian & New Zealand systems): you'll be joining a pre-existing project, either headed by a big personality researcher or an organization (get ready for long acronyms). You're thesis topic will be tightly bound to the work. You get very nice salaries; you obtain your degree while establishing yourself as a professional in your field. You are already employable and known by graduation. You collaborate and your salary is often 200% more than a US stipend; these phd's are often similar to post-docs and great preparation, US university training at the BA level is probably not adequate preparation. Do a UK-style MA/MSc/MRes first.

Hope this helps!

I think Maryland has been giving out interviews and acceptances, but I haven't heard anything from them yet either..... Anyone get invited to Maryland / UCSC open houses? I just wanna know how near it is and wether or not I should still continue hoping for good news from them....
UCSC called me around midnight last night (EST) you too? I saw someone else was accepted

It seems that UChicago started giving out results today. I'm anxious.

Anyone else heard back from UChicago? Ahhh...I'm dying from seeing that one acceptance on the results...

I initially didn't think people on this forum were interesed in non-US schools as well so in my list I didn't include the UK schools I applied to. But given that there seems to be some interest I'll confess that I applied for an M.Phil at Cambridge and got an offer this morning! :)

Congrats

You must be an A++++ student

All the best

Argh, I haven't gotten anything yet from UCB--I just want to know! Des Grieux, with your other awesome admits, there's no way you should be upset!

Yes, I am really grateful to have gotten this far. Berkeley is an incredibly competitive school so a rejection from them can hardly be a disappointment. In any case, I really hope you get good news from them!

Congrats

You must be an A++++ student

All the best

Totally agree! Congrats to all of you who got amazing acceptance! I've been admitted to University of Minnesota for my MA (they sent our their decisions if anyone here applied to this school). Never thought the whole application process can be so smooth. I've learned and benefited a lot from this forum, so if anyone has prob about master's application, especially for international students, feel free to PM me~~~

I finally heard my first acceptance from Cornell. Since Cornell is also my first choice, I will most probably be accepting the offer very soon.

Do you guys think it's better to wait for the others though?

Congrats! Are you coming up here for the visit next month?

@hotsaranghae : If you're sure that you're going to accept Cornell, the polite thing to do is reject/withdraw your applications to other universities after accepting Cornell. This allows these universities to make room for other waitlisted students. Congrats on your acceptance!