Linguistics 2013

Des Grieux

If I got no interview invitation from Penn, does this mean 'reject'? 

Not necessarily, I think. If you have a closer look at the results from previous years you'll notice that some schools do not send all invites on the same day and some in fact take more than a week between the first and the last invite (at least if the dates reported on the results board are to be trusted). So don't lose hope!

Not necessarily, I think. If you have a closer look at the results from previous years you'll notice that some schools do not send all invites on the same day and some in fact take more than a week between the first and the last invite (at least if the dates reported on the results board are to be trusted). So don't lose hope!

Thanx. *fingers crossed*  :) 

I don't think it's anything to worry about! Remember that a lot of it depends on when your POI(s) have the time to interview you, so it might just be that yours aren't available for a while longer. I'm doing acquisition stuff, and interviewing with the two people who work on that.

That makes sense funchaku, I just read that you'd heard back at midnight last night and my half-asleep brain freaked out. :-( I'm more focused on historical linguistics, so hopefully I'll hear something back from them soon, as this waiting is pure torture! 

Hey, first time poster here - had a Skype interview with two profs from Univ. Pennsylvania a few days ago. I think it went well, it was prety laid back, but they said decisions weren't final yet, there would be notification in Feb. I have a friend from another college who also applied but he hasn't heard anything. His app was probably stronger than mine, so I don't know what to read into that. 

funchaku, was that what you heard after your interview: they are interested, but decisions were not yet final? that's the impression I got. 

Hello, been lurking on here for a while but it's my first post. 

So far I've heard back from two schools, one is from Ohio State University and sadly a rejection. The other is from my POI at U of Michigan, they're inviting me to a campus visit for all shortlisted applicants. I didn't contact the POI before applying although I did mention her works in my SOP.. It should be a good sign eh? I feel nervous because I had to juggle my applications (all 11 of them!) with two ongoing projects and I work part-time. Couldn't find the time to seriously prepare for GRE, so I was nervous about my scores although they weren't terrible. Oh I'm an international applicants so I have to fly to Michigan, but I've already told her I'm coming. I kinda panicked because I'm also applying for NYU and Northwestern but I haven't heard from any of them while some people on here have accepted or offered interviews. I'm assuming rejections from them. Haven't heard back from UCSD, Arizona, Berkeley, Illinois and Texas at Austin. Anyone heard from any of these schools? Anyway I was half-expecting all rejections from US schools because of my poorly prepared applications but it was nice. I haven't heard nothing about the funding but I guess the final decision as well as the funding choices will be made after the visit.. Have anyone been to this kind of campus visit? How much is at stake here and what should I expect from it? Any advice is greatly appreciated! 

And I saw on the Result Survey page that someone got accepted from Urbana-Champaign and someone from UT at Austin, but they're Spanish Linguistics and French Linguistics respectively.. I've also applied for these schools but my program is just Linguistics. Are they independent or what? Getting nervous again..!

Sulphur, your situation strikes me as really similar to mine! I'm an international applicant as well and I had to juggle my applications with a part-time job, grant applications and an experimental thesis. I had hardly any time to prepare for the GRE as I had to work full-time all summer (I am a self-funded student with only a partial scholarship that is actually a tuition loan...) and so my scores weren't great, although lucklily they weren't terrible either.

I've also seen the interview invites from NYU which is one of the schools I applied to and they didn't contact me either. From what I read on forums from previous years, it seems that not all accepted applicants must go through an interview, so there is still some scope for hope. Personally, I interpreted their silence as a tacit rejection. The same applies to Brown which seems to have already sent all their interview invites.

I've had no word from UCSD or Berkeley yet but they usually get in touch with applicants in (early) February, so there is no need to panic.

I hope your UMich interview goes well, it's an amazing school!

My situation is similar too. I was taking 4 graduate classes and teaching 2 of my own classes (as the sole instructor). I didn't have time to study for my GRE and didn't have time to research / contact the schools that I'm applying to either. I didn't even have time to finish all my own class work and grading!!

Even though I applied to 11 schools, I'm feeling very skeptical! I also got a rejection from OSU, but I'm still waiting on the others.

I applied to UMich too, but didn't hear back from them. And I haven't heard back from UCSC either even though some ppl have heard back from them.

Sulphur, your situation strikes me as really similar to mine! I'm an international applicant as well and I had to juggle my applications with a part-time job, grant applications and an experimental thesis. I had hardly any time to prepare for the GRE as I had to work full-time all summer (I am a self-funded student with only a partial scholarship that is actually a tuition loan...) and so my scores weren't great, although lucklily they weren't terrible either.

I've also seen the interview invites from NYU which is one of the schools I applied to and they didn't contact me either. From what I read on forums from previous years, it seems that not all accepted applicants must go through an interview, so there is still some scope for hope. Personally, I interpreted their silence as a tacit rejection. The same applies to Brown which seems to have already sent all their interview invites.

I've had no word from UCSD or Berkeley yet but they usually get in touch with applicants in (early) February, so there is no need to panic.

I hope your UMich interview goes well, it's an amazing school!

Thank you, and I guess last year must have been quite a year for you! I only worked part time in the summer. It's great to see your hardworking paid off since you're already accepted to Northwestern! I've only heard great things about the people there.

I looked at the Linguistics threads from last year and you're right, many schools seem to send out notifications in February. I'm still hoping to hear from other schools, but UMich is indeed one of my top choices. So I really need to nail that interview! It'd be great to get a straight acceptance.. I wish I had more time. Oh well. 

hotsaranghae and mq1, let's stay positive, we've got a whole month to wait! Here's hoping we'll be hearing only great news in February!! 

funchaku, was that what you heard after your interview: they are interested, but decisions were not yet final? that's the impression I got. 

Yes, that is pretty much the sentiment I could pick up on. They said they will meet mid-week and let me know before the end of the week.

Edited by funchaku

UMich sent out their rejections......I hope I will hear some kind of good news soon >.<~~

I was wondering if it means something if my major prof (also my recommender) is an alumnus (quite recent) /knows people in the linguistics department of certain universities?

UMich sent out their rejections......I hope I will hear some kind of good news soon >.<~~

I was wondering if it means something if my major prof (also my recommender) is an alumnus (quite recent) /knows people in the linguistics department of certain universities?

I feel like it can help, especially if your recommender has a good reputation/relationships with people at that university. But, I guess it's also worth keeping in mind that we are in a small enough field where the chances of applicants having at least one recommender that adcom members know/recognize is higher than in other fields. 

Stay positive, though, most notifications go out in Feb/March (though I've been having such a hard time not checking the results page 20x a day.....)!!

Hi, guys! This is my first post here. I applied to MA programs for fall 2013. Since most of people here are PhD applicants, I dunno how to chime in. LOL I didn't have a good background in linguistics, so I applied to 14 programs in case I may end up going nowhere. Up to now, I got acceptances from UNC-chapel hill and UIowa. My dream school is UMinnesota, It would be great if someone can give me some advice.

Best luck to all of you! :D

I got an interview request from a POI in UMD-- I didn't even know they did interviews? Did anyone else hear anything?

I got an interview for UMD too -- do you mind PM-ing me your POI? Good luck to you!!

Hi, guys! This is my first post here. I applied to MA programs for fall 2013. Since most of people here are PhD applicants, I dunno how to chime in. LOL I didn't have a good background in linguistics, so I applied to 14 programs in case I may end up going nowhere. Up to now, I got acceptances from UNC-chapel hill and UIowa. My dream school is UMinnesota, It would be great if someone can give me some advice.

I recommend UNC-CH --  I'm a senior there now, and the professors, students, classes, community, etc. are top-notch!  :)

Edited by elsie.kay

Hey I also got an AD from Chapel Hill. 

I haven't heard from Iowa yet. Guess one of my referee hasn't sent out her letter.

Hey I also got an AD from Chapel Hill. 

I haven't heard from Iowa yet. Guess one of my referee hasn't sent out her letter.

So it's you posting on the results page. I got my Iowa acceptance on late November and UNC-CH on Jan. 22th. FYI, Iowa's funding decisions will come up in early March. Maybe we'll be classmates in the future :)

I got an interview for UMD too -- do you mind PM-ing me your POI? Good luck to you!!

I recommend UNC-CH --  I'm a senior there now, and the professors, students, classes, community, etc. are top-notch!  :)

Thanks for the advice! I'm very interested in Prof. Becker's research in first language acquisition, but I also want to learn more about syntax. So I'll wait for a while since adcomms usually give out PhD offers first. GL to your UMD interview!

It seems most of us are applying to similar schools. I know we're all going to be updating our pages obsessively, but the wait *might* be almost over ... looking at 2012, the bulk of schools are releasing final decisions Feb 5-Feb 15; exceptions seem to be UMich ...

I'm not sure what to read into NYU either - someone just got their interview this week and I know people from previous years admitted without interviews (but this season could be completely different, or the same).

As far as interviews, did anyone have embarassing questions? I did ...

So it's you posting on the results page. I got my Iowa acceptance on late November and UNC-CH on Jan. 22th. FYI, Iowa's funding decisions will come up in early March. Maybe we'll be classmates in the future :)

I didn't realize Iowa could be so early...

Thanks for telling me about the funding. 

I do love both schools. Hopefully we can be classmates!

btw are you going to attend with no funding at all?

Edited by Chase Wang