Linguistics 2013

Des Grieux

I just got interviewed by NYU by a POI. No harsh questions. The focus is on the writing sample and how it could be related to his research. I've also applied to Rutgers, but there isn't any news yet. Anyone has heard from them?

I didn't realize Iowa could be so early...

Thanks for telling me about the funding. 

I do love both schools. Hopefully we can be classmates!

btw are you going to attend with no funding at all?

I'm not sure if UIowa is a rolling program, but I applied really early (I got everything done by the end of September and sent all of them). I know it was crazy but as a non-linguistics major I don't think my background would suddenly enhance a lot. I'll wait until the end of March to make a decision. Yeah, I'll go without funding for the  first year. Hope there will be more good news for us and everyone here! B)

This has been a good day: an acceptance from USC and an invitation to Open House from Stanford, which in practice is an interview. This is too good to be true, albeit a bit scary. Looking forward to March when I'll be visiting  both schools.

Congratulations! Des Grieux

Congratulations! Des Grieux

Thank you! I am still getting over the shock. I actually spent the past few weeks blaming myself for having spent money on application fees for schools far beyond my reach.

Good luck to all of you!

Hi! Has anyone else gotten a response from Georgetown? I'm pretty sure I got accepted, but I found the phrasing of the email a little funny:

"I am pleased to inform you that the Department of Linguistics at Georgetown University will recommend to the Dean of the Graduate School that you be admitted to our PhD program concentrating in Sociolinguistics for Fall 2013. You will receive an official notification from the Dean shortly, pending a final review of all admission requirements. I am also pleased to inform you that you are being considered for a Departmental Assistantship Award, which covers tuition, stipend and health insurance. Final assistantship award decisions will be made in several weeks.

"We would like to extend an invitation to you to visit Georgetown University and the Department of Linguistics on February 22, 2013. This will be a valuable opportunity for you to meet with the Linguistics faculty and students, tour the campus and learn more about the Washington, D.C. area. We are able to reimburse you for up to $250 of your travel expenses. While you are here, we should be able to offer you a place to stay with current graduate students in the department.

"Please let me know as soon as possible whether you will attend this Prospective Student Day."

That's just a formality, right? And the invitation to visit in February is for me to scout it out, not for them to evaluate me further? I sure hope so! Really excited to get going in cross-cultural discourse stuff :)

Hi! Has anyone else gotten a response from Georgetown? I'm pretty sure I got accepted, but I found the phrasing of the email a little funny:

"I am pleased to inform you that the Department of Linguistics at Georgetown University will recommend to the Dean of the Graduate School that you be admitted to our PhD program concentrating in Sociolinguistics for Fall 2013. You will receive an official notification from the Dean shortly, pending a final review of all admission requirements. I am also pleased to inform you that you are being considered for a Departmental Assistantship Award, which covers tuition, stipend and health insurance. Final assistantship award decisions will be made in several weeks.

"We would like to extend an invitation to you to visit Georgetown University and the Department of Linguistics on February 22, 2013. This will be a valuable opportunity for you to meet with the Linguistics faculty and students, tour the campus and learn more about the Washington, D.C. area. We are able to reimburse you for up to $250 of your travel expenses. While you are here, we should be able to offer you a place to stay with current graduate students in the department.

"Please let me know as soon as possible whether you will attend this Prospective Student Day."

That's just a formality, right? And the invitation to visit in February is for me to scout it out, not for them to evaluate me further? I sure hope so! Really excited to get going in cross-cultural discourse stuff :)

Hi mylime. So yes, you have pretty much been accepted--CONGRATS!! It is very unlikely that the Dean rejects any of the recommendations by the department, unless, for example, they do a background check and find that you have a ridiculous criminal record or something. As for the visiting weekend, for the most part, it's their chance to woo you. But don't go completely unprepared, either-- from what I've heard, they do reserve the right to rescind admissions if they just don't see you as a fit at all. Barring these rare circumstances, YES YOU'RE IN! :-D

Congratulations to all of you with great news! 

A few days ago I got a conditional offer from a university in UK. I'm pretty sure I can meet the condition if I can get an extension for the deadline which is the end of February. What I'm not sure is that they notified me about the tuition and other fees I'd have to pay if I am admitted. I hear many universities in UK don't offer students a similar kind of an American university offers, but I know this specific university has awarded some kind of departmental scholarships before.. the situation would of course be subject to change entirely though. Now I'm wondering if the notifications (plural, I received two separate notifications making sure I am aware of the tuition for international students) mean that I won't be considered for a scholarship from the department. I did apply for the university scholarships but the winners will not be decided until April. I haven't asked them anything about the financial matters yet, and I'm already nervous about not having contacted the POI at that university. 

This has been a good day: an acceptance from USC and an invitation to Open House from Stanford, which in practice is an interview. This is too good to be true, albeit a bit scary. Looking forward to March when I'll be visiting  both schools.

Congratulations Des Grieux and mylime!!

Thanks for the advice! I'm very interested in Prof. Becker's research in first language acquisition, but I also want to learn more about syntax. So I'll wait for a while since adcomms usually give out PhD offers first. GL to your UMD interview!

Misha would be a great person to work with. Some of my friends wrote an honors thesis with her, and they keep telling me what a great mentor/advisor she is. She was also my professor for Language Acquisition. And if you're interested in syntax, you should check out the work by Randall Hendrick :)

Congrats, mylime and sulphur!

Now I'm wondering if the notifications (plural, I received two separate notifications making sure I am aware of the tuition for international students) mean that I won't be considered for a scholarship from the department.

Suplpur, as far as UK funding goes, the admissions offers and funding offers come at two separate stages. The fact that they sent you an estimate of the costs does not mean you will not be considered for a scholarship. Generally all funding offers - whether departmental and university-wide - are made at the same time, usually sometime late in spring. If you are also applying to US schools, the trouble is - and this is an issue I'll probably have to grapple with, as I am also applying to some UK universities - that the 15th April reply deadline for US schools may come before you hear about funding from your UK school. Also, many UK scholarships cover only fees and offer no stipend, so make sure what exactly is covered by the departmental scholarship. Besides, most students need to seek funding elsewhere. I am an undergraduate at a UK university and my department is absolutely fabulous, but because I am not a British citizen I don't get all the benefits UK students get and this year is just a nightmare in terms of funding. In any case, good luck!

@Des Grieux, speaking of wasting application fees, I applied to 14 MA programs, some of which are not really a good fit for my research interests. However, since I didn't have any formal training in linguistics, so my research interests are not so narrowed. Also, I just checked out my UMN application status, and it turned into "Final Review". Hope this will be a good news for me. Dream School, I'll be mending my broken heart if the adcomm finally makes a decision to reject me. ;) Hope for the best!

Suplpur, as far as UK funding goes, the admissions offers and funding offers come at two separate stages. The fact that they sent you an estimate of the costs does not mean you will not be considered for a scholarship. Generally all funding offers - whether departmental and university-wide - are made at the same time, usually sometime late in spring. If you are also applying to US schools, the trouble is - and this is an issue I'll probably have to grapple with, as I am also applying to some UK universities - that the 15th April reply deadline for US schools may come before you hear about funding from your UK school. Also, many UK scholarships cover only fees and offer no stipend, so make sure what exactly is covered by the departmental scholarship. Besides, most students need to seek funding elsewhere. I am an undergraduate at a UK university and my department is absolutely fabulous, but because I am not a British citizen I don't get all the benefits UK students get and this year is just a nightmare in terms of funding. In any case, good luck!

Thank you, Des Grieux! I was indeed worried about the situation you described - that I won't be hearing from the UK uni before the April deadline. And you're right about no stipend in the scholarships. There are so many different things to consider between UK and US schools. Thanks so much for your advice.

I've been checking with UT at Austin too but mine only says my app is sent to the department for review.. 

Hey friends,

seeing the results page, i noticed an acceptance from Brown University. I wonder if i can get some information regarding the program and further insight into the masters in CL from the one who posted it. I'm interested in Cognitive Linguistics, and i also talked to professors at CWRU for the masters degree. I would really appreciate it if you could provide me with information if you got your masters there.

To the others: Congratulations on your acceptances. :)

Edited by Arezoo

Congratulations to all of you with great news! 

A few days ago I got a conditional offer from a university in UK. I'm pretty sure I can meet the condition if I can get an extension for the deadline which is the end of February. What I'm not sure is that they notified me about the tuition and other fees I'd have to pay if I am admitted. I hear many universities in UK don't offer students a similar kind of an American university offers, but I know this specific university has awarded some kind of departmental scholarships before.. the situation would of course be subject to change entirely though. Now I'm wondering if the notifications (plural, I received two separate notifications making sure I am aware of the tuition for international students) mean that I won't be considered for a scholarship from the department. I did apply for the university scholarships but the winners will not be decided until April. I haven't asked them anything about the financial matters yet, and I'm already nervous about not having contacted the POI at that university. 

UK universities are quite different. There's no automatic funding; MOST would have required an acceptance by Dec 15 to apply for HIGHLY competitive full funding + stipend (usually, perhaps 10 for the whole of an Arts and Science dept. reserved for overseas students). As an (American? Canadian? Australian? South African?) don't expect any funding whatsoever. Full funding is nearly impossible for non-UK'ers and tuition waivers usually only for EU students. You're best bet is to down to line make it known within your department you're interested in so-in-so in the UK's work and would like to do a research stay.

OxCam just MIGHT have other things available, but once again, holding an offer and applying by Dec 15 is near universal. Changing research cultures is very difficult; look forward to a UK post-doc! Don't do your PhD there

I'll add (because I have though about this ALOT):

US Plus'es:

Full funding

Worldwide employability

Some top-of-the line programs

UK Plus'es:

Worldwide employabilty

Some top-of-the-line programs

Many are in interesting, student-friendly cities and towns

3-years

US minus'es:

You're there for at least 5 years (if not 6, 7, or 8+)

Busy-work classes for two years, tests, the anxiety of advancing to candidacy

Many are in the god-awfulest boring towns that exist

UK minus'es:

You're gonna need $150,000 for those three years ($250,000 for ten-year US loan repayment + interest, $360,000 for 30-year)

Un-structured research, complete independence (supervisors, as government employees, though they mean well, are often bogged with administrative duties foreign to the US system; get ready for absentee emeriti, and a very different research culture)

Since 2012, NO avenue for obtaining right of abode post-graduation unless you get a job right away. You will have established a life over three years which you will most likely have to then abandon.

UK universities are quite different. There's no automatic funding; MOST would have required an acceptance by Dec 15 to apply for HIGHLY competitive full funding + stipend (usually, perhaps 10 for the whole of an Arts and Science dept. reserved for overseas students). As an (American? Canadian? Australian? South African?) don't expect any funding whatsoever. Full funding is nearly impossible for non-UK'ers and tuition waivers usually only for EU students. You're best bet is to down to line make it known within your department you're interested in so-in-so in the UK's work and would like to do a research stay.

OxCam just MIGHT have other things available, but once again, holding an offer and applying by Dec 15 is near universal. Changing research cultures is very difficult; look forward to a UK post-doc! Don't do your PhD there

I'll add (because I have though about this ALOT):

US Plus'es:

Full funding

Worldwide employability

Some top-of-the line programs

UK Plus'es:

Worldwide employabilty

Some top-of-the-line programs

Many are in interesting, student-friendly cities and towns

3-years

US minus'es:

You're there for at least 5 years (if not 6, 7, or 8+)

Busy-work classes for two years, tests, the anxiety of advancing to candidacy

Many are in the god-awfulest boring towns that exist

UK minus'es:

You're gonna need $150,000 for those three years ($250,000 for ten-year US loan repayment + interest, $360,000 for 30-year)

Un-structured research, complete independence (supervisors, as government employees, though they mean well, are often bogged with administrative duties foreign to the US system; get ready for absentee emeriti, and a very different research culture)

Since 2012, NO avenue for obtaining right of abode post-graduation unless you get a job right away. You will have established a life over three years which you will most likely have to then abandon.

Thank you, Phonolog for your thoughts! I agree with what you assessed, including the pros and cons for both schools. This is my first time applying for graduate schools outside my country and I was rather surprised by the competition with full funding for Ph.D. posts in UK schools. Almost all professors at my university studied at US schools and they all recommended US schools because of the funding. I did look into the full funding (tuition+stipend) but I didn't even meet the eligibility because I'm not from UK/EU/any Commonwealth countries. I'm only holding onto a very slight chance here..

Hello Everyone,

Does anyone know about the decision process for Berkeley, Purdue or Hawaii at Manoa? I checked last year's results for Berkeley and it didn't mention anything about interviews or campus visits, so I wasn't sure what the process would be. Information about the other two would be great too!