Linguistics 2013

Des Grieux

I initially didn't think people on this forum were interesed in non-US schools as well so in my list I didn't include the UK schools I applied to. But given that there seems to be some interest I'll confess that I applied for an M.Phil at Cambridge and got an offer this morning! :)

Congrats! And I too got a reject from Berkeley. Oh well.

I seriously considered Cambridge but I ended up not applying. Wish UK grad schools had more funds for international Ph.D. students. 

Congrats! And I too got a reject from Berkeley. Oh well.

I seriously considered Cambridge but I ended up not applying. Wish UK grad schools had more funds for international Ph.D. students. 

Blech, now that's three of us. Congrats to those who did get in!

Congrats! Are you coming up here for the visit next month?

yes. I'm very excited!!!

@hotsaranghae : If you're sure that you're going to accept Cornell, the polite thing to do is reject/withdraw your applications to other universities after accepting Cornell. This allows these universities to make room for other waitlisted students. Congrats on your acceptance!

I've been rejected / didn't hear anything from other schools yet ^^~ Thanks for the advice!

Haha, I also applied to UMD and was beginning to wonder... I haven't heard anything, and based on those who got invited to the campus in March, I'm going to assume I didn't make it this year. Oh well. Congrats to those who did! :)

Anyone else appy to Pitt's Hispanic Linguistics program? What about Applied Linguistics at Columbia Teachers College? Applied Linguistics/TESOL at Univ. of Alabama? I only applied to those four programs because my undergraduate background isn't in linguistics, but I taught ESL for two years in Costa Rica and am very interested in SLA and bilingual education. I'm also interested in maybe teaching Spanish some day - so I'm a bit afraid that my broad research interests might have cost me a spot this time around! It's my first time applying to graduate school, so I'm just trying to remember that if it doesn't work this time, it just gives me another year to build up my experience and narrow down my research interests. :)

What does it mean that I did not get any acceptance or rejection yet? Nor even any kind of email regarding my application? I am an international applicant for a PhD in Linguistics in Fall 2013.

Wait is torture and I am being tortured by those linguistics departments.

Edited by mq1

What does it mean that I did not get any acceptance or rejection yet? Nor even any kind of email regarding my application? I am an international applicant for a PhD in Linguistics in Fall 2013.

I'm in the same boat as you. My advisor says that it's still an early stage of admissions, and the notifications that have already been sent out are very early ones. I'm sure we're all uneasy, but my advisor's comment only lead me to think that I should expect more waiting. Let's cheer up, team!

I'm in the same boat as you. My advisor says that it's still an early stage of admissions, and the notifications that have already been sent out are very early ones. I'm sure we're all uneasy, but my advisor's comment only lead me to think that I should expect more waiting. Let's cheer up, team!

Funny, I've already heard back from four schools (three rejects and an admit). I think it just depends on the individual departments! But regardless, I'd like to echo Omnium's positive sentiment--no use worrying about something you can no longer do anything about. Channel that stress into something other than checking the results page twenty times a day (ahem...guilty party here)!

Funny, I've already heard back from four schools (three rejects and an admit). I think it just depends on the individual departments! But regardless, I'd like to echo Omnium's positive sentiment--no use worrying about something you can no longer do anything about. Channel that stress into something other than checking the results page twenty times a day (ahem...guilty party here)!

I feel way better now or at least I can take on more torture before I collapse mentally. 

Cheers.

I think a lot of what I said earlIer still stands. What is your nationality? Depending on your background the university culture might be a major, difficult adjustment effecting your success.

If you're US, the system is rather singular. Having studied and degreed US, British-style (South Africa) and continental (France) systems, you must be very clear on what exactly you are looking for, what you want to work in, and where you want to work.

US (and the Canadian-type UK-US hybrid, becoming more US-type): You will be very integrated into your community and cohort. You're supervisors will be likely hands-on, and you will be expected to debate. Your professors can be your mentors/colleagues/friends. You'll be divorced from mainstream society and generally cultivated towards professorships.

UK: You will be autonomous, generally writing with supervision varying upon the type of professor/researcher you are under. Your dissertation will often be longer than a US (but this is so variable). If you want more support and career grooming, MA and MRes are better and they often can give you a lead-in into non-academic positions as a fall-back career. Furthermore, MA's often get academic positions. You won't be teaching as much as in the US; you can probably occupy a near-full time job, depending in your organizational and time-management skills. At OxCam, UCL, Edinburgh, or Mamchester, you won't have very many employment barriers. The smaller universities remain unknown outside the UK (perhaps York, or any campus of the University of London sound good). UK and Europe are smaller and easy to travel around, you can get to more conferences. And you probably should be publishing before graduation in the Uk, while this is not necessarily the case in the US. Failing a thesis defense is very common in the UK, while Defense is often just a formality in the US - in the US you've been vetted for 5 years, they know if you're good or not. But your autonomy in the Uk means you could get all the way to the end even if you are not ready to move on. Don't expect to have a ton of time toxic this, and settle for an MPhil if necessary.

Continental (as well as some Australian & New Zealand systems): you'll be joining a pre-existing project, either headed by a big personality researcher or an organization (get ready for long acronyms). You're thesis topic will be tightly bound to the work. You get very nice salaries; you obtain your degree while establishing yourself as a professional in your field. You are already employable and known by graduation. You collaborate and your salary is often 200% more than a US stipend; these phd's are often similar to post-docs and great preparation, US university training at the BA level is probably not adequate preparation. Do a UK-style MA/MSc/MRes first.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for your advice! :)

I'm from a country in east Asia and the academic system here is probably closer to the one in the US.

I guess I would have less difficulty adjusting in US grad schools.

Hi all, first post! Super anxious about results; cannot stop checking the results survey! I have a question for those who applied to MIT: did anyone receive any sort of confirmation email after submitting the application months ago? It is just dawning on me that I never did and I'm wondering whether that's normal or whether I should be worried. I should note that on the main application page it says that my application has been submitted...I'm just a little weirded out by the lack of any other information in comparison to the application sites for the other schools I applied to. 

Hi all, first post! Super anxious about results; cannot stop checking the results survey! I have a question for those who applied to MIT: did anyone receive any sort of confirmation email after submitting the application months ago?

Hey meowmew, nothing of the confirmation sort on my end, either. You have to check the website to make sure your LORs have been received, as they seem to send no confirmations about LOR-receipt either. 

Hi guys

I finally got my first rejection. KU was the one who rejected me.

it's bad news but at least I start getting replies from schools.

Cheer up everyone, good news is on its way to you.

I am really excited because I just got an acceptance from SUNY Buffalo... However, I am not quite sure what to make of the following paragraph:

"Unfortunately, we are unable at this point to offer you a fellowship. However, we will offer you what we hope will be the next best thing: a year-long Teaching Assistantship with guaranteed renewal for a second year pending performance review and the prospect of likely further renewals beyond that (pending again performance review). The fellowships come with a stipend, full tuition scholarship, health insurance, and fringe benefits."

It sounds good at first, but I am not sure whether my assistantship will come with a stipend and tuition as well or if it's just the fellowship. Does anybody happen to know more?

Edited by sociolinguist

"Unfortunately, we are unable at this point to offer you a fellowship. However, we will offer you what we hope will be the next best thing: a year-long Teaching Assistantship with guaranteed renewal for a second year pending performance review and the prospect of likely further renewals beyond that (pending again performance review). The fellowships come with a stipend, full tuition scholarship, health insurance, and fringe benefits."

It sounds good at first, but I am not sure whether my assistantship will come with a stipend and tuition as well or if it's just the fellowship. Does anybody happen to know more?

Congrats! I assume this means that, unlike a fellowship (where you just get money, full-stop), you will have additional teaching responsibilities. Also, if this is a PhD rather than a Master's, it's also less secure going into future years. But I'd see this as an opportunity to add something to your CV, while the fellowship winners sit around, right? :)

Congrats on everyone's offer(s)! I am curious about Rutgers. Checking from the result page, it seems that those who are accepted or wait listed have received emails. But I haven't heard anything from the program. Does it mean that I'm rejected? Does anyone know their practice?

MissTrace, if you don't hear anything by the end of the week, perhaps you could send your POI an email? No email does not necessarily have to mean rejection. I heard from them on Friday, and I believe they are organizing an open house within the next two weeks. 

MissTrace, if you don't hear anything by the end of the week, perhaps you could send your POI an email? No email does not necessarily have to mean rejection. I heard from them on Friday, and I believe they are organizing an open house within the next two weeks. 

Thanks and congrats on the Rutgers offer funchaku! I just logged in the website and found that I was wait-listed (again!) by Rutgers. As a member of 3 wait-lists (USC, NYU, Rutgers), I think I can hold a wait-lister party now. Greetings to other wait-listers in the same boat :P

What does it mean when some people have received interviews, rejections, acceptances, and waitlists, but I've heard nothing? (There was a burst of rejections from Penn, but I got nothing)

What does it mean when some people have received interviews, rejections, acceptances, and waitlists, but I've heard nothing? (There was a burst of rejections from Penn, but I got nothing)

I think it means that you've been shortlisted. I would wait another week and if you still haven't heard anything, then contact the graduate coordinator and ask about your application status. (Penn did seem to have a lot of rejections a while ago....) 

I think it means that you've been shortlisted. I would wait another week and if you still haven't heard anything, then contact the graduate coordinator and ask about your application status. (Penn did seem to have a lot of rejections a while ago....) 

Thanks. And this is distinct from waitlist? I think Penn notified at least one person of being on a waitlist.

And if it is distinct, why?

I had received nothing from Penn either for some time after my phone interview and after people had heard back. So I emailed my POI, who forwarded my email to the grad chair. I received an email briefly after, informing me that I was on "a short list of candidates," which I didn't take to be particularly different from wait list. Honestly, I would email at this point-- wait list better than a rejection!