Who Wants To Bet On Acceptances/Rejections?

Yeah, I think Wayne State is going to be the first too. Like this week.

But I applied there and that is terrifying. I just got an e-mail today saying that my file was complete. Today is the deadline! They can't be that quick!

scared

I applied there when I applied for my MFA and got in (I'm not applying this time around). They gave me tuition remission, but no stipend.

The faculty is great! Barrett Watten and Steven Shaviro (also Carla Harryman probably comes to things)!

Best of luck, I hope you get in!

Here is a list of schools that peeped in January last year: Duke, Emory, NYU, Northwestern, Penn State, Stony Brook, UC Riverside, Georgia, Kansas, Louisville, and Wayne State.

Half of my schools notified be the second week of February. It is both too soon and too far in the future.

Alright*, I'm taking bets on which school will make the first January notification and when they will do it.

*"Alright" is a word. Wanna fight about it?

I think NYU notified admits pretty early last year.

I'm going to say Northwestern, next monday, the 21st. 

Wow, the possibility of programs notifying next week is harrowing.  I still regard notifications as some nebulous future event, but really, people are going to start hearing from some places within the next few weeks...

YOU GUYS YOU GUYS YOU GUYS

I just got an e-mail nominating me for a fellowship at West Virginia University.

It says if I don't get the fellowship I still get a GTA. Did I just get an acceptance? I cannot breathe.

Congrats! Amazing news. I don't even know you and this makes me happy.

Don't forget to update the results board! (It's really satisfying when you get accepted, and cathartic when you don't; trust me)

I updated it as soon as I could pause long enough to fill it out!

I don't have any more up votes (Apparently they don't start over at midnight?), but thanks for all the support, you guys.

As a (the?) vet here, I'm going to say what every vet will say, and what none of you will listen to:

just forget about it

you have a choice: make your life miserable for the next two months, or make it slightly less miserable.  it's all on you.  in a process where you have virtually no say, this is the one thing you can do.  don't troll the results board, don't spend all day and night dreaming up stupid questions and scenarios to post on grad cafe, don't look at last year, don't email schools, don't reload the status section of your app at DumbFuck U every thirty seconds come Feb 1, don't don't don't.  don't do shit.  go get laid.  if you have a master's thesis to write, you poor sap, then close your browser.  literally every second you spend here instead of there can only hurt you.  choices.

Edited by thestage

I updated it as soon as I could pause long enough to fill it out!

I don't have any more up votes (Apparently they don't start over at midnight?), but thanks for all the support, you guys.

Congrats!!! Being happy for strangers is somehow strangely distracting from my own impending doom.

Though I'm not so sure I'd be this happy if it had been a school I'd applied to :P

As a (the?) vet here, I'm going to say what every vet will say, and what none of you will listen to:

just forget about it

you have a choice: make your life miserable for the next two months, or make it slightly less miserable.  it's all on you.  in a process where you have virtually no say, this is the one thing you can do.  don't troll the results board, don't spend all day and night dreaming up stupid questions and scenarios to post on grad cafe, don't look at last year, don't email schools, don't reload the status section of your app at DumbFuck U every thirty seconds come Feb 1, don't don't don't.  don't do shit.  go get laid.  if you have a master's thesis to write, you poor sap, then close your browser.  literally every second you spend here instead of there can only hurt you.  choices.

thestage is right. I made myself crazy last year with the refreshing. It was not healthy.

just forget about it

I do not accept this very astute tidbit of wisdom. As my first application cycle (in the US at least), I chose to make myself crazy! RARRR! Well, that and I don't think my brain is really going to give me a choice in the matter.

A few years from now I'll look back and say oh yeah... why didn't I listen to thestage?

I am doing my best to remain calm, and I think I'm at least doing a good job of projecting it.  Everybody who's seen me go through both cycles now has commented about how much less stressed I seem than last year.  What they don't know is that while this is me on the outside:

tumblr_mai35qjrKK1ql5yr7o1_400.gif

This is me on the inside:

tumblr_m4gi9iPiMi1roilnu.gif

I just called the grad secretary at one of the schools I applied to in Dec and she shuffled back and said, "they just now delivered a bunch of folders to the admissions committee down the hall" and I nearly fell squealing off my chair. She made sure to add that she couldn't tell me whose files they were.

And the game continues.... :ph34r: