getting in

sorswell

So even though I'm only a junior I've started thinking about what I want to do for graduate school. My main concern is whether I have a chance to get in! I currently have a 3.55 GPA cum. as a psych major, which isn't extremely spectacular, but I am a member of Psi Chi and Delta Epsilon Sigma (which is a Catholic college honor society) - which means I am in no lower than the top 20% of my class. 

Do grad school admission people look at more than grades? Do they look at other experiences (for one of my classes next year I'll be doing independent research and a senior thesis)? 

I have also been an officer in two different clubs (vice-president of fellowship my freshman year for one and secretary in another for the past two years), have been involved in various community services events during my time at school, and will be studying abroad this upcoming semester.

Do you think with these extracurricular things and if I can bump up my GPA a bit I'd be able to get into a good psychology program?

I think you're gpa is okay. Anything over a 3.5 should be enough not to rule you out, but you could definitely benefit from boosting it to at least a 3.6. Research experience is key, so get involved in a meaningful way with a lab now, in addition to the research and thesis experience you anticipate next year. A stellar GRE can also do a lot to offset an average gpa. I am applying to phD programs with a 3.59, so I'll tell you how it goes...

I said this elsewhere, but GPA is only one aspect of your application packet. It can be offset by other parts of your application like GRE scores, LORs, research experience, and a stellar CV.

I think your lack of research experience may hurt you more than your GPA. Maintain or slowly increase your GPA and you will be fine. And I highly reccomend getting research experience through lab work. The senior thesis should be fine as well, but the more research experience the better.

Extracurricular stuff is a plus, but it is not a big determinant in the application process as far as I have been told. I was actually discouraged from being a Psi Chi officer for a year because it would take away time from conducting research, but I did it anyways for funsies.

In short, extracurricular won't really offset your GPA. Research experience, strong LORs, and GRE scores will do a better job of strenghtening your application packet.

Also, case in point, I have a low undergraduate GPA at 3.39, but my advisers are still optimistic about my application packet. Hope that helps.

I said this elsewhere, but GPA is only one aspect of your application packet. It can be offset by other parts of your application like GRE scores, LORs, research experience, and a stellar CV.

I think your lack of research experience may hurt you more than your GPA. Maintain or slowly increase your GPA and you will be fine. And I highly reccomend getting research experience through lab work. The senior thesis should be fine as well, but the more research experience the better.

Extracurricular stuff is a plus, but it is not a big determinant in the application process as far as I have been told. I was actually discouraged from being a Psi Chi officer for a year because it would take away time from conducting research, but I did it anyways for funsies.

In short, extracurricular won't really offset your GPA. Research experience, strong LORs, and GRE scores will do a better job of strenghtening your application packet.

Also, case in point, I have a low undergraduate GPA at 3.39, but my advisers are still optimistic about my application packet. Hope that helps.

I concur. Research experience is really the most important thing. LORs will be good if you have done good research with your profs and don't have a serious personality disorder. If you have kickass research, no adcom will care if you have a low gpa [3, inf) gpa. 

When I asked one of my pois, what my odds were, he knew all my stats minus my gpa. All he asked was if my GPA was above a 3.5.  

3.55 GPA ... no lower than the top 20% of my class.

Top 20% is enough for Latin honors at my university. I think your grades are fine. Focus on research.

You might consider applying to the APA Summer Science Fellowship and some of the NSF-sponsored summer research experiences. Alumni of these programs are highly successful in graduate admissions.

To answer your main question: yes, for sure, you will get into a good program. What is in doubt is whether you will get into an outstanding program.

Just do your best. Good luck!

So even though I'm only a junior I've started thinking about what I want to do for graduate school. My main concern is whether I have a chance to get in! I currently have a 3.55 GPA cum. as a psych major, which isn't extremely spectacular, but I am a member of Psi Chi and Delta Epsilon Sigma (which is a Catholic college honor society) - which means I am in no lower than the top 20% of my class. 

Do grad school admission people look at more than grades? Do they look at other experiences (for one of my classes next year I'll be doing independent research and a senior thesis)? 

I have also been an officer in two different clubs (vice-president of fellowship my freshman year for one and secretary in another for the past two years), have been involved in various community services events during my time at school, and will be studying abroad this upcoming semester.

Do you think with these extracurricular things and if I can bump up my GPA a bit I'd be able to get into a good psychology program?

On the websites of all the schools I've looked at, GRE scores are very important as well.  Like you, I won't be applying til next December so I am all about focusing on studying for the GRE now.  From what I have read and heard, a great GRE score will help you too.

Thanks for the input! The research experience is definitely going to be my biggest issue since my summers are fairly occupied with a job. Any advice on that? 

Thanks for the input! The research experience is definitely going to be my biggest issue since my summers are fairly occupied with a job. Any advice on that? 

my advice would be to work a job that is even only slightly related to your field as a way to tread water and look for more appropriate jobs in the meantime. That's what I did following completion of my MA- I got a job in an ER which was not directly related to my psych pursuits, but, it was in healthcare, I did have interactions with psych patients, and it gave me ample time to pursue employment, which is how I got my current paid psychiatry RA position. As someone who waited tables throughout my entire undergrad and grad studies, I took a significant pay cut at the ER, but it was well worth it. I wouldn't be where I am now had I not made that move. Also, throughout both my jobs in the ER and currently at A&M, I've been able to work remotely doing unpaid research. Every moment counts. I wish I would have realized that sooner, but I'm glad I did eventually.

my advice would be to work a job that is even only slightly related to your field as a way to tread water and look for more appropriate jobs in the meantime. 

I work at a summer camp, and while it seems like something a lot of college students do, it is something that largely interests me and I've been considering something like developmental psych or doing something with child psychopathology. I'm not exactly sure if this is what you mean, but hopefully it's a start.

Since I haven't had much time to do research, do you think taking a year or so to get experience as an RA or do you think the research I'll be doing in the fall would also be acceptable to grad schools?

Sorswell, it might be a good idea to start -- if you haven't already -- looking at websites of programs you are interested in applying to.  In my experience, they don't often specifically state what kinds of research experience they want applicants to have, but many schools state the general qualifications they are looking for. 

Have you looked here yet?  http://ecp.fiu.edu/APA/div7/  They have a listing of developmental psych programs.

Since I haven't had much time to do research, do you think taking a year or so to get experience as an RA or do you think the research I'll be doing in the fall would also be acceptable to grad schools?

Its hard to say- is the research you'll be doing in the fall aligned with child care or dev psych? Your camp job sounds like a good in for a young researcher wanting to work with kids, but might I suggest trying to work at a camp specifically for developmentally or mentally challenged youth? Volunteering is always a good way to gain experience with kids too. It sounds like you're still refining your interests, so I would also suggest aligning any future positions you take to what you might want to put in an SOP as what would make you MOST appealing to a specific POI. It's a fine line we have to straddle between diversifying our CVs and not seeming "scattered" or "lacking a specific focus." I learned all of this as I went along- I would have liked to have heard it before. Being on boards like these is a good step in the right direction though :)

At my school our senior thesis actually is based off of our independent research, so I'm not sure if that'll change things at all. We have a course dedicated to learning how to conduct research and then a subsequent course relating to the research we are planning to conduct and actually conducting the research. I might consider looking at grad schools later and see if I can get an RA position.

Thanks for your input!!

At my school our senior thesis actually is based off of our independent research, so I'm not sure if that'll change things at all. We have a course dedicated to learning how to conduct research and then a subsequent course relating to the research we are planning to conduct and actually conducting the research. I might consider looking at grad schools later and see if I can get an RA position.

Thanks for your input!!

Hate to break it to you, but most senior thesises are based off of original independent research.

Hate to break it to you, but most senior thesises are based off of original independent research.

I'm aware of that, it just sounded different the way DarwinAG put it when I read his response. 

I really have only just begun thinking about graduate school, but there are somethings I am aware of.

Edited by sorswell

Pretty much all psych majors are required to do that. I think on average most psych people that are accepted have around 2 years of RA experience beyond that.

Hmm... wait, so there's a difference between being an RA and doing independent research work? At my school nobody gets paid to do research (except through a summer fellowship) so all my lab work has been called being a research assistant but I get course credit, listed as IR.

Is someone going to look at my experience and think I didn't do anything? I also did two summers with the fellowship, so is that more the "RA" thing?

Edited by Khani