How will you celebrate?

PolyWonk

Hi All! 

Last night I had a nightmare that I didn't get into any schools. Now I don't know if constantly trolling GradCafe is helping or hurting my psyche, but I do it anyway. I found a couple old threads that are positive, empathetic, sympathetic or made me laugh, which I need to do more of.  I really liked them, so I thought I would bring them to our esteemed Political Science forum. 

So answer the questions for us. How are you coping with waiting? And how will you celebrate when you get your first acceptance?

Coping:

For me, I'm very blessed and lucky that I'm taking a gap year this year. So my coping mechanism is... travel! So far I've gone on a few trips (international/domestic), and I plan to be away pretty much non-stop until May (not during Admitted Student visits, of course!) then return to the states to begin preparing for school!

Celebration:

I'll be honest.

1. Tears

2. Family

3. Facebook
4. Advisors/Recommenders

5. PARTY!

How 'bout you?

Semester is about to start, so I'll be keeping myself very busy with new research, regular classes and many events and trips. When I hear, I will most certainly treat myself to a fine bottle of red wine and put my feet on the table. And maybe get the lady to take me to dinner. ;)

If I get into the school I really want to go to...well I will be quite thrilled and take all the accolades that people will give me about how I am so smart.

If I get into a safety, then I will smile to myself and decide whether its worth the risk.

Well I've pretty much convinced myself that I'm going to get straight rejections, but hopefully I will be doing the following things to celebrate my first acceptance, roughly in this order:

1.  Stop on my way home from work to pick up a 6 pack of good beer and a really nice steak.

2.  Spend some time alone to let it sink in and obsessively research the city/things to do/potential living situations/etc by spending way too much time on GradCafe, Yelp, Craigslist, Google Maps, etc.

3.  Call my parents, grandparents, brothers, and text my closest friends.

4.  More GradCafe, Yelp, Craigslist, Google Maps.

5.  Massive party.

6.  Attempt to figure out what to do about my underwater mortgage.

With the exception of #6, that sounds pretty similar to my (unlikely to be deployed) plan. It's weird, but I don't intend to tell anyone for awhile. I'll obsess quietly about how my new life will look instead.

I don't think it's weird.   This is a deeply personal process and a major turning point for our lives.  Everyone goes through significant events in their own ways.  

I have been excited for the big road trip when (if) I head to school when I will take my dog and whatever I can load in my car and head to wherever the next chapter of my life will be.  To me, it would be a chance to really transition mentally and reflect on what I'm leaving behind and what I'm heading towards.  

That's been the plan for a while now, until my mom saw the movie "The Guilt Trip" a few weeks ago and came up with the idea to invite herself along on my road trip.  She's so excited about it and I don't know if I have the heart to tell her no.  I've never lived more than 3 hours away by car and she's already started crying about the idea of me moving every time I see her.

• 4 weeks later...

Distracting myself with a trip to Armenia with my friends and a night in a nice hotel! (Two seperate things.)

And I have an expensive bottle of wine waiting. If I do get in, it'll be a celebration. If I don't? It'll be a toast to other future plans.

I don't think it's weird.   This is a deeply personal process and a major turning point for our lives.  Everyone goes through significant events in their own ways.  

I have been excited for the big road trip when (if) I head to school when I will take my dog and whatever I can load in my car and head to wherever the next chapter of my life will be.  To me, it would be a chance to really transition mentally and reflect on what I'm leaving behind and what I'm heading towards.  

That's been the plan for a while now, until my mom saw the movie "The Guilt Trip" a few weeks ago and came up with the idea to invite herself along on my road trip.  She's so excited about it and I don't know if I have the heart to tell her no.  I've never lived more than 3 hours away by car and she's already started crying about the idea of me moving every time I see her.

RE: The road trip, I have had the exact same plans for a road trip. I have spent my entire life in one state (minus two study years outside the US including now) so I am greatly looking forward to a road trip - finding out where I am accepted makes the planning all the more exciting!

A vacation... but that's going to take some planning.

"Short term" celebration: take a moment to smile, take my recommenders to dinner, and have a celebratory bbq with friends; then pull my head out of my ass, prep taxes, and begin brushing up on language skills and a few poli sci books.  "Long term" celebration: sometime in the summer, once I get my stuff together, I really think I need to take a vacation.  I was thinking about a trip to the Galapagos.

I will celebrate by re-reading my favorite seminal texts of the political sciences. I will celebrate by attending classes and earning A's, which I will celebrate by reading more seminal texts and I will celebrate the reading of those texts by writing insightfully about them in both a classroom assignment context and in personal notes for later projects.

Then I will celebrate by being offered a tenure track employment opportunity at the semi-elite university. I will then take myself to dinner at the Library, which is not a pithy name for a restuarant but an actual Library in which is stored seminal texts of the political science, which I will read over dinner. Then I will publish the thesis Chapter in the semi-elite journal and later stretch it into the book at the semi-elite press and my headstone shall read ALL HAIL GOPHERGRAD WHO ATE THE MOST PIE.

Also I will drink the rye whisky.

I will celebrate by re-reading my favorite seminal texts of the political sciences. I will celebrate by attending classes and earning A's, which I will celebrate by reading more seminal texts and I will celebrate the reading of those texts by writing insightfully about them in both a classroom assignment context and in personal notes for later projects.   Then I will celebrate by being offered a tenure track employment opportunity at the semi-elite university. I will then take myself to dinner at the Library, which is not a pithy name for a restuarant but an actual Library in which is stored seminal texts of the political science, which I will read over dinner. Then I will publish the thesis Chapter in the semi-elite journal and later stretch it into the book at the semi-elite press and my headstone shall read ALL HAIL GOPHERGRAD WHO ATE THE MOST PIE.   Also I will drink the rye whisky.
This cannot possibly be up-voted enough.

I will celebrate by re-reading my favorite seminal texts of the political sciences. I will celebrate by attending classes and earning A's, which I will celebrate by reading more seminal texts and I will celebrate the reading of those texts by writing insightfully about them in both a classroom assignment context and in personal notes for later projects.

Then I will celebrate by being offered a tenure track employment opportunity at the semi-elite university. I will then take myself to dinner at the Library, which is not a pithy name for a restuarant but an actual Library in which is stored seminal texts of the political science, which I will read over dinner. Then I will publish the thesis Chapter in the semi-elite journal and later stretch it into the book at the semi-elite press and my headstone shall read ALL HAIL GOPHERGRAD WHO ATE THE MOST PIE.

I love this! 

I think GopherGrad is serious too

Celebrating so far by going skiing this weekend. If another acceptance trickles out, will likely involve whiskey (weekday) or bubbly (weekend).

And let's be honest, shortly after there are all of the mental pro/con lists. Let the deliberations begin...