Penn GSE

HigherEd2013

Just an FYI: I checked the admissions blog and it seems that all of the EdD applicant invitations went out today. I didn't get one, so I'll be putting together an application for a master's program... alas. 

Good luck to everyone who interviews!

Tough luck, Minnow! I'm in the same boat--I'm considering a master's application now as well. I already have an M.Ed, though, and was kind of ready to take the next step. I'm going to see how things turn out here with my other options.

Thanks, wjdavis! I have a master's, too, though mine is in Linguistics, so I would definitely prefer a doctoral program! Amazingly, I have a phone interview scheduled for Syracuse, so hopefully that will work out!

Best of luck to you!

I received my acceptance letter on Jan. 16th after the priority deadline which I was very surprised about. I submitted everything by November 20th, with an official notification from the University the 27th. 

Anyone else planning on going to Preview weekend in March? I already RSVP'ed.

I saw from the results search that some rejections were sent out for Penn GSE PhDs yesterday, and I know the invites to the recruitment weekend were already sent out. Has anyone else received neither? I don't know if I missed the email somehow, or maybe I'm on a waiting list, or something else.

I'm assuming since they have a rolling admissions deadline (at least for the Master's program- not sure for the PhD) people are finding out in groups over the next few weeks. 

You can always just check your application status on the Penn GSE application website. If there's a decision, a link will be provided close to the "Submitted" information. Best of luck!!

I saw from the results search that some rejections were sent out for Penn GSE PhDs yesterday, and I know the invites to the recruitment weekend were already sent out. Has anyone else received neither? I don't know if I missed the email somehow, or maybe I'm on a waiting list, or something else.

Hi Bertiek,  

I applied to the PhD program as well and have received neither! I assume that I'm on some kind of wait list, especially because my status is still "applied" on their website. 

On their admissions blog, they wrote: "If you did not receive an invitation to the PhD weekend, it is most likely that you will not be accepted into the program for this year. We will however post a final faculty decision for your application, and all other PhD applicants who were not invited to the weekend, in the coming weeks." I take this to mean that there is some kind of waiting list, although I am not sure, since it could also be that people are finding out in batches (maybe there is some kind of tech issue with notifying everyone at the same time? Unsure.). 

Anyway, I'll take the waiting list over a rejection any day, so fingers crossed! Good luck to you!

I applied to the PhD program as well and have received neither! I assume that I'm on some kind of wait list, especially because my status is still "applied" on their website. 

I also have received no communication re: PhD (which I assumed to be a rejection). Where do you see "applied" on their website. I just see "submitted"--but definitely no status change. However, this is the same status/portal as a school I just received a paper/postal rejection from, so...

I also have received no communication re: PhD (which I assumed to be a rejection). Where do you see "applied" on their website. I just see "submitted"--but definitely no status change. However, this is the same status/portal as a school I just received a paper/postal rejection from, so...

Hi EdNerd2013,

When you look at your application, you can click on "Check Your Application" (on the bottom left hand side of the screen), and then it will tell you your application status. Also, I should have been clearer in my previous post: I was using "submitted" and "applied" synonymously. I was just trying to explain that I had not been admitted nor rejected.

Also, I looked through the archives of their admissions blog and it does seem like they had a waiting list last year. Not sure if they have the same practices this cycle, but it's a bit reassuring!

You can see the post here: http://penngseadmissions.blogspot.com/2012/02/this-weeks-reader-q.html . And the pertinent info: "Yes, Penn GSE does keep a wait list for doctoral applicants (Ph.D. and traditional and executive Ed.D.). We do not keep a wait list for master's applicants." So, with any luck, a few of us are on the waiting list!

Edited by Minnow

I checked my application: nada

junk mail: nothing also

<_< lol

It would be nice to know where we stand, right?

Yes, this! I've received no communication...which, up until 3 days ago, I fully thought was a rejection...but now nothing! Is it weird that I'm this hopeful for a waitlist?

So...I'm going through my typical evening (torture) routine and was checking all my application statuses...and when I logged out of Penn's tonight (with no news, obviously), it says this :

Successful Logout!

Application for Admission: Submitted

Submitted Date: 12/15/2012

Application for Admission 2: In-Progress

Anyone else have this??? What is "Application for Admission 2"?? I'm sure it's never been there before.

Did you apply for a second program or check mark the option to be considered for a different program? I'm not sure if it was Penn..or another school I applied to that had that option. But it's just a thought. 

By the way, you're definitely not the only one with that routine. If only the sites showed me how many times I've signed in... :wacko:  lol

So...I'm going through my typical evening (torture) routine and was checking all my application statuses...and when I logged out of Penn's tonight (with no news, obviously), it says this :

Successful Logout!

Application for Admission: Submitted

Submitted Date: 12/15/2012

Application for Admission 2: In-Progress

Anyone else have this??? What is "Application for Admission 2"?? I'm sure it's never been there before.

Mine says the same thing. I honestly never paid attention before though. 

Mine says the same thing. I honestly never paid attention before though. 

You don't have to worry about that - it's an error. From their website:

"When you log out of checking the status of the application on the log out page there is another line saying application 2 in progress. Is that indicating that my application is being looked at by someone in the admissions office?

Application 2 was a system we previously used to allow you to apply to a 2nd program (like the applicant in our first question). However, that system is no longer in use, and you are most likely seeing that message in error (just focus on the . Our office will send you an email to update you on the status of your application every time materials are received for you. Once you receive the email that says your application is complete, you know that it has then been sent to the faculty from the program to which you applied for an admissions decision."

Yes, this! I've received no communication...which, up until 3 days ago, I fully thought was a rejection...but now nothing! Is it weird that I'm this hopeful for a waitlist?

Today a link appeared that said my admissions decision was available and I was rejected (as I suspected). Not too bummed. Good luck to all of those going for interviews soon!