Acceptance Freakout Thread

I saw that, my heart sank, I made peace with my assumed rejection and then I saw the date. February is going to be hilarious. Congrats to whoever it is though!

Yeah, what's with the date?  The 14th of January is damn early.  This week has been so quiet: the calm before the storm (...of happiness?!).

Unless someone claims the Buffalo 14th admit, I really don't think it's legitimate. 

It could be legit -- maybe they told someone they were accepted, but they needed some more information in order to nominate them for a fellowship (or something like that). Still, either way, the majority of Buffalo acceptances haven't come yet -- they're usually accompanied by a bunch of admits to the unfunded MA program.

Woohoo! Got accepted to Texas Tech. First acceptance ever!

My heart just dropped into my stomach until I saw that you're applying for the MA, not the Ph.D.  Congrats on your acceptance; do you happen to know if they're notifying everybody today or just the MAs?

Wisconsin's coming in! Wisconsin's coming in! I didn't apply there, but I am so excited to see some action on the Results Board. Congrats to recent admits!

ETA: Classes don't start for me until next week, so scouring the results board and tweaking my syllabus are the only things on my agenda this week. So... yeah.

Edited by proflorax

Honestly, do we really feel good for anonymous admits? Why would we have any reason to sympathize with their good news? Don't we secretly feel envious and angry that it wasn't us being admitted? 

Let's be real people

I 100% feel good and happy for anonymous admits or admits of any kind. Why in the world would I feel angry?

I 100% feel good and happy for anonymous admits or admits of any kind. Why in the world would I feel angry?

It's a dawg eat dawg world. Each acceptance someone else gets is one you didn't get. It's good to be happy, but I'm not sure it's healthy to be 100% happy.

Edited by Deadinthewater

This. The success of others has very little relevance to my own success/failure. If anything, feeling happy for others helps to sort of mitigate my own fleeting self-pity.

ETA it is totally possible to feel two conflicting emotions fully and simultaneously. I also wish we would stop commenting on the healthiness or validity of others' emotions.

Edited by girl who wears glasses

Honestly, do we really feel good for anonymous admits? Why would we have any reason to sympathize with their good news? Don't we secretly feel envious and angry that it wasn't us being admitted? 

Let's be real people

Uhm, I AM being real. I feel excited for anybody enjoying this moment. It helps that I didn't apply to Wisconsin, but I don't feel the world is so small that I am in constant competition with everyone else. That sounds like a miserable way to feel, so, uh, sorry you feel that way, but please don't make your bitterness the default for the rest of us.