Acceptance Freakout Thread

Sniping and personal attacks removed. 

Several warnings issued. 

I know everyone is stressed, but that doesn't mean you can't be polite. And no, I don't care if someone else started it. You can stop it. 

We haven't had this issue in past years, but this year seems exceptionally volatile. Please take a step back and ask yourself if sniping at other people is a better course than ignoring people you dislike, and remaining supportive of the people you do. 

IN AT RIVERSIDE!!!!

OMG, Congrats!!!! So they DID start notifying today! Now I am a zillion times more nervous, auughh. Can I ask, did your email come directly from Grad Division, or from the English Dept? Also, has your status on the Gradsis Login page changed, as well? So many questions, sorry! :) Just want to know what I might expect!

Thanks eigen. If anyone is unaware, gradcafe does offer the option of blocking posts/some interactions from other users. My gc life has improved exponentially since I started to use that feature. I can't stop someone from targeting me (and I'm sure I have signed on to another week or so of reputation bombing, profile visiting, and nasty messaging just by posting this) but I don't have to listen to it.

- infj, who believes that most people are actually pretty wonderful

Can anyone claim the Yale acceptance? I know someone who was also accepted (same person? ha, it's small world...).

Now I get to bite my nails and have the most agonizing (re: tearful) weekend ever....

Edit: Oops, Princeton, I mean Princeton

it's been a long week

Hey Jazzy, Is that the same person who got into Duke, NYU, and UVA? If so, what is his/her specialty?

It's funny, because if s/he is, let's say, a Victorianist, it's possible that none of these programs admitted any other Victorianists--or maybe just one other person each. That's why the waitlists might really turn out so well for so many people... (Not sure whether Princeton waitlists or not)

Also, was the call from a POI at Princeton or from the DGS, etc, etc?

Hey Jazzy, Is that the same person who got into Duke, NYU, and UVA? If so, what is his/her specialty?

It's funny, because if s/he is, let's say, a Victorianist, it's possible that none of these programs admitted any other Victorianists--or maybe just one other person each. That's why the waitlists might really turn out so well for so many people... (Not sure whether Princeton waitlists or not)

Also, was the call from a POI at Princeton or from the DGS, etc, etc?

This is a different person from the Duke/NYU/UVA admits, though this person did also receive acceptances to Vanderbilt, Berkeley, and UCLA :P

I'm actually not all too familiar with his specialty as we're not too close and attend different universities. I can pretty much guarantee he's not a budding Victorianist, but that's about it! 

OMG, Congrats!!!! So they DID start notifying today! Now I am a zillion times more nervous, auughh. Can I ask, did your email come directly from Grad Division, or from the English Dept? Also, has your status on the Gradsis Login page changed, as well? So many questions, sorry! :) Just want to know what I might expect!

My e-mail came from the grad division. I have heard nothing from the English department. I received a fellowship offer, so that might explain the early notification. Perhaps other notifications will be on their way soon. My status on Gradsis has changed. I can no longer "check status," but I can "view admissions decision" where it says "graduate division offer." I am really pulling for all the UCR hopefuls on here!!! 

YAY, congratulations you lucky accepted people!! Way to go! :D

I was contacted by UW-Madison a few weeks ago for a fellowship nomination. Still, is that an unofficial acceptance? :/

I would think that it's an unofficial acceptance? You could always call them up and ask about it? (And then you can ask why I haven't heard anything from them yet!  ;)) Either way, congrats on the nomination!

I think most academics / intellectual types in the humanities suffer from impostor syndrome. I know I always have. Anyone take the Myers-Briggs personality test? I bet 75% of us are INFP's....

ENFP, I think, but I keep retaking it. Holla. And yes, Impostor Syndrome! I know it well. I keep thinking things like, "As soon as I accomplish X goal, I will know that I really belong here." But of course the goal is constantly shifting higher and higher. Right now, it's getting into grad school. Before that, it was getting honors on my B.A. thesis/graduating with honors. I can't imagine what it'll be next because I think getting rejected from all of my schools will "prove" to me that I'm not meant for this career. So...

I would be 100% delighted to get an acceptance at any of the programs I applied to, though! I chose them partly based on whether it would feel like an accomplishment to get in and I'd feel proud to attend.

I think most academics / intellectual types in the humanities suffer from impostor syndrome. I know I always have. Anyone take the Myers-Briggs personality test? I bet 75% of us are INFP's....

INTJ here, for what it's worth.

INTP, actually. I think it means I hate people, but not as much as INTJs. Or something like that.

"L'enfer, c'est les autres."

Another ENFP in the house! I'm as extroverted as people get, which I guess explains my love of teaching. I've long considered teaching a brand of performance, and I get such a rush after a class session. That being said, I have some pretty strong introverted tendencies. My favorite hobby is reading the internet on the couch with no pants on. My love of not wearing pants often conflicts with my love of being surrounded by people. 

My favorite hobby is reading the internet on the couch with no pants on. My love of not wearing pants often conflicts with my love of being surrounded by people. 

OH MY GOD, thank you for bringing this video into my life.  :lol:

venn-diagram-no-pants-truly-happy.png

Aside from PJs/workout clothes, I never wear pants.

Edited by It's (Not) About Me

OH MY GOD, thank you for bringing this video into my life.  :lol:

venn-diagram-no-pants-truly-happy.png

Aside from PJs/workout clothes, I never wear pants.

WHERE ARE MY UPVOTES?!?! That ven diagram made me laugh so hard I couldn't breathe. I don't think I could ever do a 9-5 schedule at an office simply because of the pants issue. I love that some of my work hours are spent at home, grading, reading, or lesson planning, without pants.

Another ENFP in the house!

I'm also ENFP! Sometimes I feel a bit outnumbered (even occasionally misunderstood) by my more introverted colleagues, even though I'm only an E by about 51%. I definitely get my energy from being around people (which I've read is really what is meant by introversion/extroversion). Nevertheless, speaking in front of large groups makes me nervous. I'm still working on the "performative" aspects of teaching; I think I excel one-on-one. And I've always loved meeting new people. Hoping to meet many of you in the future!