Acceptance Freakout Thread

Two of my schools guarantee six years of funding, and one only five. Right now, however, the one with five years is my top choice. Should I ask them about possibilities for funding beyond five years now (by e-mail) or just wait until I visit in a few weeks? I don't want to bog them down with questions I can ask them later, but then again, it would be nice to know.

yes, i would ask. more likely than not, they expect/encourage you to get a dissertation fellowship at the end of the guaranteed funding period, which would explain the discrepancy. just a thought  :)

For those of you waiting on Georgia State: I just found out I have been accepted from a friend who is a PhD student there already. She went to ask the secretary about my application after she talked to the department chair and was told she could tell me I have been accepted. They're trying to "streamline" their process of notifying applicants (which, if you look at the results board, I think they need to!) and everyone should know in the next few weeks. I'll believe it when I see it, though--my friend was not even waitlisted and she was informed in the 11th hour!

Oh, and they're waiting to hear back on funding for me. I will tell you all that the funding is not great. I have always been really excited about this program because I spoke to someone who is willing to work with me on Anglo-Jewish lit. But the funding is dismal!! 

Edited by thatjewishgirl

Congrats on the acceptance!  And yes, funding is not GSU's strong point, but Atlanta has a pretty low cost of living if you don't mind living outside of the downtown area.  Like you, I'll believe it when I see it about them notifying in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks! And oh really, re: living in Atlanta? I have never as an adult lived outside of Oklahoma, so I have no concept of expense in other states. As you can imagine, it is cheap to live here. My husband says Atlanta is expensive, but if I choose to accept, my friend might be able to hook me up with a roommate in the program (hubby and I have to live apart during school since we have been accepted to radically different locations). I'm still on the waiting list at Minnesota and would prefer if that worked out. But it feels great to get an actual acceptance!

MY HUSBAND AND I WERE BOTH JUST ACCEPTED TO LSU WITH FULL FUNDING!!! I am BEYOND happy!!! We didn't think we would get in anywhere together!!!!!

Congrats!

Also, how does it feel knowing that you are a mythical beast on par with the Pegasus and Unicorn?

Like seriously, how often does this kind of thing happen?  Many congrats!

Edited by antihumanist

What field/discipline does he do?

and...

CONGRATS!

Thank you!! I'm a Victorianist with a minor specialization in Judaism and Jewish literature and he applied in British 18th century Caribbean lit.

I probably should have said we both have English MAs.

Edited by thatjewishgirl

Has anyone heard anything from Loyola Chicago? 

Hey Radioactive,

I was accepted to the PhD program there about two weeks ago. I haven't seen any one else on here mention anything about hearing from them, though. 

Same question regarding Ole Miss: has anyone heard from the program? I emailed them on Thursday; no response yet.

I spoke to the people in the English department on Wednesday and was told that they were still reviewing apps.

Edited by jot970