Acceptance Freakout Thread

So far, despite having applied to PhD programs, I have been offered two MA's (at great schools!). I'm not sure what to do-- reapply next year, or take one of these (very expensive) offers. I've been told by some that an MA will help me with PhD admissions, but I have been told by others that an MA can count against me with PhD admissions (and that they are not worth the debt). 

Advice? Has anyone been in this situation before?

Edited by librarygremlin

So far, despite having applied to PhD programs, I have been offered two MA's (at great schools!). I'm not sure what to do-- reapply next year, or take one of these (very expensive) offers. I've been told by some that an MA will help me with PhD admissions, but I have been told by others that an MA can count against me with PhD admissions (and that they are not worth the debt). 

Advice? Has anyone been in this situation before?

You might want to read through this thread where people have posted about their experiences in MA programs: 

Obvious this might be hard to determine, but if you can determine where the weaknesses were in your applications that might help decide whether an MA program is worth the expense. If it were me, I would go through at least another cycle before going for the MA, and maybe apply to a couple funded or partially-funded MA programs in addition to PhD programs. 

Congrats! My two cents: Lexington is a super cheap place to live, but you do need a car. They have great GWS and Social theory folks (or so I hear.)

I'll second all of this. (I'm in English/GWS at UK already, about to finish undergraduate, just accepted into the English MA program here with GWS grad certificate)

Feel free to ask if you have any questions about Lexington/UK

Yes, I was planning to already, and I'm happy to now be attending without the pressure of feeling like something I say might sway them one way or the other on me!

Fantastic! I'll see you there. I'll be the one wearing a red rose...

... not really. But I am thrilled to meet some of my potential cohort! 

ETA: No, but really... I'm trying to figure out the cool way to reveal my secret GradCafe identity while meeting fellow admitted students. 

Edited by proflorax

What is the appropriate ettiquette to decline offers? I've already accepted one offer informally, but I should I wait for the official acceptance before I decline my other offers?

ETA: I don't want to wait too long because it's not fair for those on the waitlists.

Edited by Porridge

ETA: No, but really... I'm trying to figure out the cool way to reveal my secret GradCafe identity while meeting fellow admitted students. 

Me too!  I feel like I've formed connections with some people on here, and I'd love to meet them in real life.  Lots of interesting and humane thinkers on these forums.

Edited by Two Espressos

You were accepted at OU? Congrats! What do you know?! I have been waiting in Oregon with baited breath... Tied for my top choice. Would love details :)

Yes, thank you! I don't know much right now except for the fact that they just finished reviewing applications, so I'm guessing they will continue to notify others either over the weekend or early next week. 

Yeah, I'd love to meet some of y'all on here in a real academic setting, but unfortunately I don't think there's any acceptance overlap with anyone that I really "know" on these boards.

On that note...

Dear Lurking Michigan Admits,

I think some of you probably want to turn down your offer, right? I mean, if you got in at Michigan, chances are you got into some other kickass programs too. You reeeeeally want to go to one of those. Seriously. This is not a Jedi mind trick. [this might be a Jedi mind trick]  You should turn down Michigan for that super sweet other program. It's okay. Just send that DGS an email. He'll understand.

Love, hugs, and kisses,

bfat

p.s. Dear god it is late and I think I may have lost all my mental faculties.

What is the appropriate ettiquette to decline offers? I've already accepted one offer informally, but I should I wait for the official acceptance before I decline my other offers?

ETA: I don't want to wait too long because it's not fair for those on the waitlists.

Yeah this is my question too. I keep getting such awesome funding details/notifications lf awards and emails from fantastic professors expressing interest to work with me :/ I already know I don't want to go to these schools but I don't know how to express it while still being professional and assuring profs that I respect their work and would still love to meet and collaborate in the future if possible...any tips?

Yeah this is my question too. I keep getting such awesome funding details/notifications lf awards and emails from fantastic professors expressing interest to work with me :/ I already know I don't want to go to these schools but I don't know how to express it while still being professional and assuring profs that I respect their work and would still love to meet and collaborate in the future if possible...any tips?

Dear Irvine,

Unfortunately, I cannot accept your offer of admission. Please accept sebastiansteddy in my place.

Best,

KeellyMK

Dear Irvine,

Unfortunately, I cannot accept your offer of admission. Please accept sebastiansteddy in my place.

Best,

KeellyMK

I know I know, garsh! lol. It sucks because honestly the lower 2 schools have the profs that would personally be the best to work with and have specialization in my prospective fields...ugh mo money mo problems.

I know I know, garsh! lol. It sucks because honestly the lower 2 schools have the profs that would personally be the best to work with and have specialization in my prospective fields...ugh mo money mo problems.

Haha I am just joking. I do have some other great offers so I will not be devastated if ultimately rejected from Irvine. Please, do what is best for you.

I got into Oregon! And now have a really hard decision to make between Brandeis and Oregon. Unless someone has some super helpful distinction to contribute to make this decision less difficult...?

Congratulations! I promise not to try to talk you out of Brandeis.

Dear Lurking Michigan Admits,

I think some of you probably want to turn down your offer, right? I mean, if you got in at Michigan, chances are you got into some other kickass programs too. You reeeeeally want to go to one of those. Seriously. This is not a Jedi mind trick. [this might be a Jedi mind trick]  You should turn down Michigan for that super sweet other program. It's okay. Just send that DGS an email. He'll understand.

I've seen two people on the forums indicate that they're planning on declining U Michigan (can't remember who, sorry). I'm fairly certain that I'm going to accept their offer, though.

I've seen two people on the forums indicate that they're planning on declining U Michigan (can't remember who, sorry). I'm fairly certain that I'm going to accept their offer, though.

Hi dmmar,

That's cool if people want to turn it down, but I was completely joking. I don't want to influence anyone's decision. Honestly, if I don't come off the wait-list, that just makes my decision much easier because I'm really torn between the two (theoretical) possibilities I'm facing. B)

Hi dmmar,

That's cool if people want to turn it down, but I was completely joking. I don't want to influence anyone's decision. Honestly, if I don't come off the wait-list, that just makes my decision much easier because I'm really torn between the two (theoretical) possibilities I'm facing. B)

Oh, I know you were joking, but I figured you'd still probably be interested in knowing if people are declining if it improves your chances of getting off the waitlist!

Does anyone else have a March that looks totally insane? All the schools want us to visit at the same time! I originally wanted to go on a lot more visits, but there's no way I can be out of state every weekend and keep up on my current course work. 

Are you all planning visits? How many? How on earth are you finding time to go on them? Besides fondness for the program, what other determining factors influence your decision to visit or not (like expenses, especially if the programs can't fund visits)?