Acceptance Freakout Thread

Well, looks like I'm finally all out.

Noooooo! I'm really sorry that your weekend has been ruined. :( There is still some reason for hope! It looks like you're still waiting to hear back from a few schools, and you have some awesome waitlist prospects. I suspect that the waitlist at UW-Madison is VERY small. I am so rooting for you to get good news soon. Either way, I hope you go out and get schwasted (if you're a person who enjoys doing so) and eat lots of cake/pie and ice cream on your birthday.

Judging from the results board, Rutgers has been pretty consistent at notifying applicants on Friday or Saturday, so if you don't hear from them by then it's probably a rejection, which is more than I can say for other schools which roll add admits little by little. That's even worse. I will continue to tell myself this to feel better as I wait in agony.

Huh, good to know! I am already assuming a rejection from Rutgers at this point, but maybe I will wait until the end of the day? I'll be away from my computer almost all day, but I will have my phone! I guess now I'll be that much more anxious all day.  :unsure: By the way, I just noticed--you got accepted at IU-Bloomington?! In English? When? Based on the results search, I thought only one person on here had heard from them! Maybe it was you. I will be so confused and disappointed if they already sent out acceptances and I just didn't know it. I was still soooorta holding out hope for them.

Oh God, Indiana is really trying... 

Same question as above, assuming that you mean IU-Bloomington. When did you hear this news? Are you applying in English? Sorry to overwhelm you both with questions, but I can't believe I totally missed that happening. I would be really grateful for your response. 

Would it be too early to decline an offer?

Not at all! I'll echo what planesandtrains said. If you know you definitely won't be going to a school, don't string them--and more importantly, the people on their waitlist--along! You won't hurt their feelings.

Noooooo! I'm really sorry that your weekend has been ruined. :( There is still some reason for hope! It looks like you're still waiting to hear back from a few schools, and you have some awesome waitlist prospects. I suspect that the waitlist at UW-Madison is VERY small. I am so rooting for you to get good news soon. Either way, I hope you go out and get schwasted (if you're a person who enjoys doing so) and eat lots of cake/pie and ice cream on your birthday.

Thanks. It's tough because Rutgers was my only remaining hope of a straight acceptance (as well as my top choice) because now all of the schools I'm waiting on have already sent acceptances (as well as wait lists in the case of Berkeley). Best I can hope for now is another wait list or two. I do think you're right, though, in that my chances of making it off Wisconsin's list are very good (especially knowing from here where some of the Wisconsin acceptances also got in -- Wisconsin has some tough recruiting competition this year) and I would be so beyond thrilled to go there.

Going to my favorite bar for my birthday so even though I think next week is going to bring more rejections, I'll be able to numb the pain with beer and spinach artichoke dip. It evens out.

Thanks. It's tough because Rutgers was my only remaining hope of a straight acceptance (as well as my top choice) because now all of the schools I'm waiting on have already sent acceptances (as well as wait lists in the case of Berkeley). Best I can hope for now is another wait list or two. I do think you're right, though, in that my chances of making it off Wisconsin's list are very good (especially knowing from here where some of the Wisconsin acceptances also got in -- Wisconsin has some tough recruiting competition this year) and I would be so beyond thrilled to go there.

Going to my favorite bar for my birthday so even though I think next week is going to bring more rejections, I'll be able to numb the pain with beer and spinach artichoke dip. It evens out.

Wisconsin is a great program - very friendly department, and Madison is such a beautiful, fun town. Similar to Ann Arbor, but double the size, sunnier, between two gorgeous lakes, and with the state government there as well as the university to bring life to the place. I know a 4th-year at Wisconsin who also did her BA at Michigan and is very happy (I visited turn my application cycle and strongly considered going there). Stay in touch with the DGS over the next few weeks to keep reaffirming your interest. I've been rooting for you, as a fellow Wolverine!

Wisconsin is a great program - very friendly department, and Madison is such a beautiful, fun town. Similar to Ann Arbor, but double the size, sunnier, between two gorgeous lakes, and with the state government there as well as the university to bring life to the place. I know a 4th-year at Wisconsin who also did her BA at Michigan and is very happy (I visited turn my application cycle and strongly considered going there). Stay in touch with the DGS over the next few weeks to keep reaffirming your interest. I've been rooting for you, as a fellow Wolverine!

Thanks! I've developed a great deal of fondness for Madison since applying (they get SO MUCH SNOW) and it was the first school suggested to me by a letter writer and it is obviously a brilliant program. I'm honored to still be in the running.

Did anyone else who was rejected from CUNY get referred to their MALS (Master of Arts in Liberal Studies) program or have any experience with it? It doesn't seem like anything I'd be particularly interested in, but I figured I'd ask around. Their DGS sent me a fairly personalized email saying that it sounded like a good fit, but I'm not sure if I'm buying into it, especially because there's undoubtedly zero funding and doesn't seem like it would do anything to improve my chances of getting into a PhD program in the future if I don't get in anywhere this year or help me if I, god forbid, have to work outside of academia. Thoughts?

Thanks! I've developed a great deal of fondness for Madison since applying (they get SO MUCH SNOW) and it was the first school suggested to me by a letter writer and it is obviously a brilliant program. I'm honored to still be in the running.

Wait, so snow increases your fondness? I think I might freeze to death in a snowdrift in Buffalo.

I like snow for about 6 days a year, not 150.

Nashville has the perfect climate. Get that Vanderbilt admit!

Edited by asleepawake

That's a good way to think of it. I just think of how often I will get salt marks on my clothes.

I can do winter, I guess. I've just gotten really, really spoiled by living in a place where I can do swimming outdoors most days in any month of the year for the past few years.

Edited by asleepawake

Wait, so snow increases your fondness? I think I might freeze to death in a snowdrift in Buffalo.

I like snow for about 6 days a year, not 150.

Nashville has the perfect climate. Get that Vanderbilt admit!

Well, the Wisconsin admit is more likely but fingers crossed! I LOVE snow. Every time I have visited their status check site and the school was closed for a snow emergency, I fell just a little harder. I actually don't know if I could handle Nashville! Especially as I have been knitting obsessively all winter, I don't know how it would feel to be in Nashville with a new wool scarf...

HOORAY! I can finally justify my post in here-- I was denied PhD at University of South Carolina, but ACCEPTED to the MA with partial funding for the first year (and they've waitlisted me for Fellowship/Assistantship that would be full funding) and the promise of full funding for the second!!! Hooray!!!! I'm not a failure at lifffffeeeeeeeeee.

HOORAY! I can finally justify my post in here-- I was denied PhD at University of South Carolina, but ACCEPTED to the MA with partial funding for the first year (and they've waitlisted me for Fellowship/Assistantship that would be full funding) and the promise of full funding for the second!!! Hooray!!!! I'm not a failure at lifffffeeeeeeeeee.

mazeltov.gif

Way to go! And I see you're a 19th-century Americanist. Good choice!

Did anyone else who was rejected from CUNY get referred to their MALS (Master of Arts in Liberal Studies) program or have any experience with it? It doesn't seem like anything I'd be particularly interested in, but I figured I'd ask around. Their DGS sent me a fairly personalized email saying that it sounded like a good fit, but I'm not sure if I'm buying into it, especially because there's undoubtedly zero funding and doesn't seem like it would do anything to improve my chances of getting into a PhD program in the future if I don't get in anywhere this year or help me if I, god forbid, have to work outside of academia. Thoughts?

Likewise!! I'm worried about funding and the usefulness of a MALS , but CUNY's courses seem so awesome! I would consider it if I don't get accepted to all of the schools I applied to.