Acceptance Freakout Thread

AWESOME!!!!

(I'm still going to Brown... it's a better fit for me... so I'll take myself off the waitlist -- but I'm so happy for you Bfat... I hope you get in!!!)

Will you be at the visiting days? Hopefully I'll see you there!

Chapel Hill is a gloriously progressive town (as are many of the cities in NC) full of hip, delicious restaurants that definitely cater to veggies/vegans. You might want to look into living in Carrboro (which is contiguous with Chapel Hill but more hipster/hippy/funky than fratty). If you end up there, you'll also want to venture to Durham for yummy local veggie friendly options. And deeeeefinitely get up to Asheville for a long weekend sometime if you're living in NC.

And do you like microbrews? Because North Carolina has the most best local breweries in nation and quite possibly... the WORLD. And way less expensive than up north!

Cheers!

WELP, this basically sounds heavenly! Now I'm even more excited to visit! :D I've been wondering whether a diehard liberal like me can cut it in the South, but I figured/hoped I'd find that the university is in a nice liberal bubble. That I can handle. Gaaah, I still can't believe I'm gonna be moving to a completely new city (and state)! So many things to explore!

Totally concur with this. Just moved away from NC after 7 years and I am definitely missing the wide array of excellent choices around the state! (As a midwesterner at heart, though, the east coast BBQ does leave something to be desired...just saying.)

This is really, really great to hear. I feel like I've been spoiled by living in Chicago for the past ~5 years. I forget that not all cities have virtually every kind of world cuisine available around the clock. In NC I've only ever visited Charlotte for a couple of days (and for a wedding, so very little sightseeing went on), but Chapel Hill looks great! What area were you in?

Congrats on being waitlisted, GWWG!  I was actually rejected from Wisconsin-Madison, like It's (Not) About Me.  I guess I made some of the initial cuts, but finally got knocked out of the running. But yeah, my UNC news earlier this week completely obliterated any pain the Madison rejection could have caused.  B)

Yeah, I thought for sure I'd been waitlisted at Wisconsin-Madison!  Oh well.  To be honest, it was probably at the bottom of my list, though of course I would have loved to attend were I offered admission.

I'm intimately familiar with the "take a shower because it's the only way I can regain body heat" dance as well.  It's rough, especially at 6am.  :unsure:

If I'd gotten accepted to Wisconsin, it would've been a pretty hard decision... I am almost equally enamored with their faculty as I am with UNC's. Maybe I should be glad that they made my ultimate decision that much easier! But it stings to know that I just barely missed out on the opportunity. Ah, well.

I'm in at Yale. History of Art + Film Studies.

This past hour has been the strangest, most discombobulating experience of my life so far.

After years of browsing this forum, sharing the joys, frustrations, and heartbreaks...it's over. All those rejections, and then I get an acceptance from one of my dream choices.

Thank you all. 

WHAT THE FUCK I'M IN AT ROCHESTER NOW. WITH UNI FELLOWSHIP + STIPEND this is too much i'm going to drown myself in rum.

Haha! Kick ass!! So freaking happy for you. :D Looks like you'll have some awesome schools fighting to get you in their programs!  B)

Totally freaking out! In at WUSTL, which has the most amazing funding and great job placement; in at Rice, which has one of the most influential voices of my field of study as the head of the department; and in at University of Michigan / English and Women's Studies, which would allow me to do work in two disciplines! I have no idea what do! I feel so fortunate but at the same time so confused!

On 2/22/2013 at 3:44 PM, justlucy said:

Totally freaking out! In at WUSTL, which has the most amazing funding and great job placement; in at Rice, which has one of the most influential voices of my field of study as the head of the department; and in at University of Michgan / English and Women's Studies, which would allow me to do work in two disciplines! I have no idea what do! I feel so fortunate but at the same time so confused!

Congratssss!!!!

I sent you a PM also.

Totally freaking out! In at WUSTL, which has the most amazing funding and great job placement; in at Rice, which has one of the most influential voices of my field of study as the head of the department; and in at University of Michigan / English and Women's Studies, which would allow me to do work in two disciplines! I have no idea what do! I feel so fortunate but at the same time so confused!

Congrats!!

Congratsss !!!

Looks like Stanford and Rutgers started notifying. I didn't apply to Rutgers. My phone won't ring-- so I guess it means what it means.

Same here! I got distracted actually doing work (because I'm at work) and I come back to the results board to see that both Stanford and Rutgers have started. Oy vey. I'm not expecting anything from Stanford, but I had wondered about Rutgers. I guess now I have an answer? Lolol.

Same here! I got distracted actually doing work (because I'm at work) and I come back to the results board to see that both Stanford and Rutgers have started. Oy vey. I'm not expecting anything from Stanford, but I had wondered about Rutgers. I guess now I have an answer? Lolol.
I was waitlisted at Stanford the last time around. I'm so angry at myself for not getting in this time :s...

Well, looks like I'm finally all out.

Looks like Stanford and Rutgers started notifying. I didn't apply to Rutgers. My phone won't ring-- so I guess it means what it means.

Oh god.  Just lay me in my grave now, I can't take this. D;

Rutgers will ruin my weekend if I don't hear anything.

Judging from the results board, Rutgers has been pretty consistent at notifying applicants on Friday or Saturday, so if you don't hear from them by then it's probably a rejection, which is more than I can say for other schools which roll add admits little by little. That's even worse. I will continue to tell myself this to feel better as I wait in agony.

Rutgers will ruin my weekend if I don't hear anything.

Stanford is my runaway top choice.  Which I know is true of a lot people, many of whom are also runaway more interesting and qualified than me.  But I found an extreme, personal reason to spend the next 6+ years/the rest of my life in the South Bay/Peninsula, apart from you know, Stanford's wildly awesome program/fit for me.  Ugh, I've already shed tears of anxiety!  And I'm at work. D:

Judging from the results board, Rutgers has been pretty consistent at notifying applicants on Friday or Saturday, so if you don't hear from them by then it's probably a rejection, which is more than I can say for other schools which roll add admits little by little. That's even worse. I will continue to tell myself this to feel better as I wait in agony.

If I don't hear on day 1 of when everybody else does, I assume rejection. I know some schools roll them out, but for me it's always proven true that if I don't hear early, it's rejection city.

Stanford is my runaway top choice.  Which I know is true of a lot people, many of whom are also runaway more interesting and qualified than me.  But I found an extreme, personal reason to spend the next 6+ years/the rest of my life in the South Bay/Peninsula, apart from you know, Stanford's wildly awesome program/fit for me.  Ugh, I've already shed tears of anxiety!  And I'm at work. D:

Stanford is obviously a great program. I gave myself the choice between applying to Stanford and UCLA, and I chose UCLA for fit. It was probably a good idea because private schools seem to hate me while the public universities love me, as demonstrated by my acceptances/rejections.

If I don't hear on day 1 of when everybody else does, I assume rejection. I know some schools roll them out, but for me it's always proven true that if I don't hear early, it's rejection city.

Ditto. Although I think this is a product of already having solid acceptances -- if I didn't I'd probably be worried about places like Penn State and Iowa (as well as waitlists).