Acceptance Freakout Thread

Thanks, everyone! I had assumed rejection since so many acceptances went out yesterday, so it was a very surprising voicemail! It definitely sounds like they are still in the process of notifying, so I'll keep my fingers crossed for the other GradCafers waiting for news! 

Congrats! You've given me hope :) 

Thanks, everyone! I had assumed rejection since so many acceptances went out yesterday, so it was a very surprising voicemail! It definitely sounds like they are still in the process of notifying, so I'll keep my fingers crossed for the other GradCafers waiting for news! 

Congratulations, Proflorax!! I'm in there, too, and am very excited!

Congrats! So it was a personal e-mail, then? Maybe I don't have to completely lose hope just yet.

Thanks! Yes, it was a personal email and then a phone call. I think they've made their decisions (or some of them at least), but I don't think they've notified many people yet. I haven't gotten the official email from the department yet, just the personal contact from my POI. I did find out that the campus visit is on March 1 and 2 though, so the rest of the acceptances should be coming soon.

ETA: Ok, this is weird. I just got the official email from the Director of Graduate Studies and it says the visiting weekend is March 15-17. My POI must have mixed up the dates.

Edited by w/ love & squalor

I trusted my gut on this one. Accepted my top choice's offer today, despite having 7 programs to hear back from. Fit, funding, and being mutual top choices sealed this deal. (I also e-mailed many of the other programs and was told I was either wait listed, rejected, or they wouldn't know until late March/early April.) Acceptance of offer phone call was a little awkward, as I had psyched myself up to call and I think I caught the Prof off guard. "Welcome to the department!" Woohoo!

I trusted my gut on this one. Accepted my top choice's offer today, despite having 7 programs to hear back from. Fit, funding, and being mutual top choices sealed this deal. (I also e-mailed many of the other programs and was told I was either wait listed, rejected, or they wouldn't know until late March/early April.) Acceptance of offer phone call was a little awkward, as I had psyched myself up to call and I think I caught the Prof off guard. "Welcome to the department!" Woohoo!

cher-lloyd-want-u-back-funny-face.gif

Oh my God, the first final decision!  YAAAAAAAY!

Thank God Wisconsin is finally notifying about wait list decisions. It's just good to be able to update my signature, you know?

Also, get it, StephanieD. Congratulations and good luck!!!

Whoa, how did you know? I *just* got an official rejection (boo!) but there aren't any posts about it on the results board yet. Gonna add mine right now! Stupid Wisconsin; why didn't you just reject me straight out?

Whoa, how did you know? I *just* got an official rejection (boo!) but there aren't any posts about it on the results board yet. Gonna add mine right now! Stupid Wisconsin; why didn't you just reject me straight out?

Wow. They must've really been wrestling with who would make the wait list. I bet you were incredibly close. Sorry to have just been assuming that everyone who hadn't heard was wait listed. (Where you at, two espressos?)

I got the email at exactly 5pm EST. (And added mine to the results right after posting here.)

Wow. They must've really been wrestling with who would make the wait list. I bet you were incredibly close. Sorry to have just been assuming that everyone who hadn't heard was wait listed. (Where you at, two espressos?)

I got the email at exactly 5pm EST. (And added mine to the results right after posting here.)

Not gonna lie, I thought I had a decent chance of being waitlisted, too! Which is why I really wanted them to return my freakin' email already. Haha. I will comfort myself by telling myself that I was soooorta close--I was waitlisted for the waitlist.  :rolleyes: Anyway, I'm glad that they finally notified you! I hope it becomes an official acceptance!

NC weather (and FOOD! OMG THE FOOD!) is way better.

.........Food? Please, do tell me about this food.  :)

And omgzzzz it was literally 8° in Chicago as I was walking home last night. Suddenly it dawned on me that I may very well be living in North Carolina this time next year. My satisfaction. It was large.

Hey duders,

Long time lurker, second (?) time poster. I just received word that I am wait listed at Rice! I am excited, for it's my top choice. Hopefully the news will get better. If you're accepted, message me! 

Hey duders,

Long time lurker, second (?) time poster. I just received word that I am wait listed at Rice! I am excited, for it's my top choice. Hopefully the news will get better. If you're accepted, message me! 

your avatar is everything. 

Edited by ErnestPWorrell

.........Food? Please, do tell me about this food.  :)

And omgzzzz it was literally 8° in Chicago as I was walking home last night. Suddenly it dawned on me that I may very well be living in North Carolina this time next year. My satisfaction. It was large.

NC has delicious, acidic, mustardy bbq with the best pulled pork in the entire world. promise. 

I can remember when I lived north, crying one morning when I had to take a shower because it was so cold and taking off my clothes felt like peeling off my own skin. And it was so dark all the time. And I gained so much weight. And my skin was super dry all the time. And it was awful. NO WINTER FOREVER!!!

Hey duders,

Ugh, out of upvotes again. Congrats! I'm still waiting to hear from them.

Hey duders,

:)

NC has delicious, acidic, mustardy bbq with the best pulled pork in the entire world. promise. 

I can remember when I lived north, crying one morning when I had to take a shower because it was so cold and taking off my clothes felt like peeling off my own skin. And it was so dark all the time. And I gained so much weight. And my skin was super dry all the time. And it was awful. NO WINTER FOREVER!!!

Ooooh, OK, I'm with you, but what if you're someone who doesn't eat meat? Are my delicious food options cut in half? :( Lol. And yup yup, I have frequently done the "take a shower because it's the only way I can regain body heat" dance. Most recently: last night! Haha. I really like everything you're saying. I always said I wanted to live somewhere with no winters...

Hey duders,

'Gratz!!  :D

I'm just now remembering (after applying only to coldish places) how much I kicked myself for going to college in MA. Until summer and fall happened. Then I'd hug myself.

Yeah, argh, the fall is so freaking beautiful here. IT'S TRUE. But I'm having a very hard time remembering that right about now.