Acceptance Freakout Thread

To Cactus Ed -- You might be in luck regarding Tufts -- I was accepted to their PhD program in English and I will likely be attending NYU or UC Irvine instead.   Best Wishes!
Thanks for the heads up, Pangolin! I think it would be a great fit for me and it is a very good program, plus it would only be a two-hour move for me... Best of luck to you wherever you choose to go.

Okay.... So does anyone want to claim the BU acceptances? Because this is it for me. I'm done.

I'm one of them, I was called by the DGS today. I honestly couldn't tell you if they're done or not though, so I wouldn't give up hope. If there's only two of us posted so far, they could very easily still be notifying tomorrow!

Accepted at University of Kentucky!

There are quite a few things I like about this program. Lexington seems like a great place to live, it's a nice large program without being overwhelmingly huge, and they seem to have rated very well in the NRC rankings. The downside, though, is that although I was offered a TAship with full funding, the funding is lower than at anywhere else I applied ($1k per year lower than I made as a TA during my MA studies), and the teaching load is 2/2.

This one would take some thought and some planning. If my wife (who is certified in special education) can find a good job down here, this offer would be quite tempting. If we're depending on my income, though, I would probably have to decline. Fortunately, I still have responses from 7 (technically 8) applications to hear back from, plus a wait list at Rice, so nothing is too settled yet!

Ugh. Honestly, if my only option was a 2/2 teaching load, I would get a job and then apply again next year.

That's such a nasty amount of work (if you're going to do a good job teaching) that there won't be much time to research/study anything.

It sounds like you have other options though, so all is well.

:)

Ugh. Honestly, if my only option was a 2/2 teaching load, I would get a job and then apply again next year.

That's such a nasty amount of work (if you're going to do a good job teaching) that there won't be much time to research/study anything.

I did a 2/2 in the second year of my MA, and it wasn't that bad. Granted, everyone's experience is different, but I had enough time to work on my stuff and even successfully switched concentrations in that year. I don't think my teaching or my research suffered. I just sort of adapted to the amount of work in front of me. I like teaching, and I like research, and that was enough to get me through. Then again, I'm happy that I now have the option to teach less at a potential PhD program, as well. 

Accepted at University of Kentucky!   There are quite a few things I like about this program. Lexington seems like a great place to live, it's a nice large program without being overwhelmingly huge, and they seem to have rated very well in the NRC rankings. The downside, though, is that although I was offered a TAship with full funding, the funding is lower than at anywhere else I applied ($1k per year lower than I made as a TA during my MA studies), and the teaching load is 2/2.   This one would take some thought and some planning. If my wife (who is certified in special education) can find a good job down here, this offer would be quite tempting. If we're depending on my income, though, I would probably have to decline. Fortunately, I still have responses from 7 (technically 8) applications to hear back from, plus a wait list at Rice, so nothing is too settled yet!
Congrats! My two cents: Lexington is a super cheap place to live, but you do need a car. They have great GWS and Social theory folks (or so I hear.)

2/2 isn't actually that bad. If you're teaching the same class, it's really just extra grading and an extra 2-3 hours/week in the classroom. I've taught 2/2 for three years while getting my MA (Actually, this year I have a 2/3), plus a summer class, and somehow I'm finishing. I would much prefer it to be lower in my PhD, but I don't think a heavy teaching load in itself should deter you if you love everything else about the program. I've gotten really great experience teaching so much. The stipend sounds really low for that amount of work and for a PhD student, though, so it's definitely something to consider.

Edited by asleepawake

2/2 isn't actually that bad. If you're teaching the same class, it's really just extra grading and an extra 2-3 hours/week in the classroom. I've taught 2/2 for three years while getting my MA (Actually, this year I have a 2/3), plus a summer class, and somehow I'm finishing. I would much prefer it to be lower in my PhD, but I don't think a heavy teaching load in itself should deter you if you love everything else about the program. I've gotten really great experience teaching so much. The stipend sounds really low for that amount of work and for a PhD student, though, so it's definitely something to consider.
Totally agree. I can't fathom spending every moment doing just research, writing, studying, etc then being expected to thrust myself into the 4/4 world. There has to be an in between. Isn't it fair to assume we're seeking this degree with academia in mind anyhow? But yes, the money is low for the expectations...

I did as well, for the MA program.

Did you know that the MA program apparently feeds straight into the PhD? I was not aware of that when I applied, but that's actually pretty cool. It's unfortunate that they can't offer everyone funding anymore, though.

Did you know that the MA program apparently feeds straight into the PhD? I was not aware of that when I applied, but that's actually pretty cool. It's unfortunate that they can't offer everyone funding anymore, though.

I did not know that.  Where is that mentioned, or is that just second-hand?  I'm looking ahead to PhD programs, so those kinds of offers are pretty enticing.  Thanks for letting me know.

I did not know that.  Where is that mentioned, or is that just second-hand?  I'm looking ahead to PhD programs, so those kinds of offers are pretty enticing.  Thanks for letting me know.

I happened to be looking at the Graduate Handbook a few days ago and in the section about the MA, they say that you can either accelerate admission to the PhD after your first year of the MA or wait until you finish the MA to start the PhD. It said you have to apply, but from the sound of it, the application is more of a formality.

http://www.english.msu.edu/graduate/graduate-handbook/

I happened to be looking at the Graduate Handbook a few days ago and in the section about the MA, they say that you can either accelerate admission to the PhD after your first year of the MA or wait until you finish the MA to start the PhD. It said you have to apply, but from the sound of it, the application is more of a formality.

http://www.english.msu.edu/graduate/graduate-handbook/

This is very cool - I'm glad to hear it, fingers crossed on funding.

Just accepted to University of Florida!!!  fgweuiafvhuiawh34926tyn!!!!!

Spoke absolute nonsense on the phone in my excitement.  

What field of study are you going into at UF? I applied there as well so I hope to hear something soon!

Another Michigan State acceptance here!  English MA.  I was notified this morning that I was accepted, and being offered an assistantship with a stipend and that I was being nominated for a fellowship.

I am FREAKING OUT.  I did my undergrad here, and I wasn't too enthused about staying in East Lansing (especially because MSU doesn't have an explicit "film theory" program) but with this information I am beyond excited!  I already have a good relationship with most of the professors in the film department and a few more from the English department as a whole and am very excited at the prospect of continuing to work with them.  Unless another program offers me comprable funding possibilities, I will almost definitely be taking this offer and running with it.