Acceptance Freakout Thread

You say this, but I come from Britain, the most boring and grey place in the world, where nothing happens without booze of the finest quality! I reckon the Old World should get in on this, too!

I firmly believe that places with frequent dreary/cold weather make the best beer. We're not growing grapes so we need to ferment something else.

Pacific Northwest might be drearier than England.  3/4ths of the year it's cloudy in Oregon, all year in Seattle, and it drizzles constantly.

Hence why we love IPA's and Russian Imperial Stouts so much - how can you survive this weather but with really high ABV beer?

I firmly believe that places with frequent dreary/cold weather make the best beer. We're not growing grapes so we need to ferment something else.

Or remote locations. The Appalachian mountains in NC have the best breweries in the state (opinion) so I think the connection here is: Locations in which people spend an inordinate amount of time indoors either due to inclement weather or boredom are best for brewing (and then enjoying) beer.

Now that we've heard from the Northeast, Oregon, Colorado, California, Michigan, and NC, are we missing any? Any good brewing going on in Austin? The Southwest?

Good beer from Michigan to be sure. From all over. All I'm sayin is... Asheville NC alone has a dozen odd microbreweries, and fantastic ones at that (thebeatgoeson knows what I'm talkin about!) And that's just one mid-sized town. Even tiny, middle of nowhere towns--Kinston and Morganton NC for example--have perfected the craft. It's like nowhere else.

Wisconsin, obvs. Visited my bf's family and he casually mentioned that his friend's dad owned a microbrewery. Like, that is a normal option for people in Wisconsin. Pretty sure their career day tests over there pop out "Doctor, lawyer, teacher, microbrewery manager, physicist..."

Wisconsin, obvs. Visited my bf's family and he casually mentioned that his friend's dad owned a microbrewery. Like, that is a normal option for people in Wisconsin. Pretty sure their career day tests over there pop out "Doctor, lawyer, teacher, microbrewery manager, physicist..."

I did microbrewery research on many of my school's states. I would not hate getting used to Wisconsin beer.

Good beer from Michigan to be sure. From all over. All I'm sayin is... Asheville NC alone has a dozen odd microbreweries, and fantastic ones at that (thebeatgoeson knows what I'm talkin about!) And that's just one mid-sized town. Even tiny, middle of nowhere towns--Kinston and Morganton NC for example--have perfected the craft. It's like nowhere else.

Verily.  Out of upvotes.  Grew up just outside of Morganton; Catawba Valley has really taken off in the last few years.  New Belgium's move to Asheville was really the icing on the cake for me.  Great to have one of the big companies there with ABC and LAB and so on.  I'll certainly miss the culture anywhere else.

I'm in at Yale. History of Art + Film Studies.

This past hour has been the strangest, most discombobulating experience of my life so far.

After years of browsing this forum, sharing the joys, frustrations, and heartbreaks...it's over. All those rejections, and then I get an acceptance from one of my dream choices.

Thank you all. 

This past hour has been the strangest, most discombobulating experience of my life so far.

After years of browsing this forum, sharing the joys, frustrations, and heartbreaks...it's over. All those rejections, and then I get an acceptance from one of my dream choices.

Thank you all. 

MAJOR CONGRATS!!!!!!!!

YAY!!!!

Thank you all. 

Your post so perfectly captures the emotional tornado that is application season. I can't stop smiling at your good news! Congrats, and enjoy the high!

Thank you all. 

Oh my god, this is huge! Congrats! I'm so happy for you; I know you felt so discouraged last week and I'm glad you now have a reason to celebrate!

Thank you all. 

Superb!  That's excellent news.  I never got around to reading that writing sample of yours, lol, but Yale must have liked it: what better validation could you get than that?  ^_^

Thank you all. 

You. Deserve. It.

Thank you all. 

BIG BIG CONGRATS to you Swagato! I'm super happy for you!