Acceptance Freakout Thread

NC has delicious, acidic, mustardy bbq with the best pulled pork in the entire world. promise. 

I can remember when I lived north, crying one morning when I had to take a shower because it was so cold and taking off my clothes felt like peeling off my own skin. And it was so dark all the time. And I gained so much weight. And my skin was super dry all the time. And it was awful. NO WINTER FOREVER!!!

I'm in NC now for school, lived in SC for many years too. This is probably the only downside to the school i'm going to... super cold all the time. I've done it before though, so i'll do it again :-). And yeah, we have awesome food down here most def. 

Hey duders,

Long time lurker, second (?) time poster. I just received word that I am wait listed at Rice! I am excited, for it's my top choice. Hopefully the news will get better. If you're accepted, message me! 

Lurker here too! Like you, was also wait listed at my dream program, Rice! Wishing us both luck. Does anyone have advice on how to respond to the wait list email? I'm thinking, "please pick me, oh please" might be too intense, but I really, really want it. 

Ooooh, OK, I'm with you, but what if you're someone who doesn't eat meat? Are my delicious food options cut in half? :( Lol. And yup yup, I have frequently done the "take a shower because it's the only way I can regain body heat" dance. Most recently: last night! Haha. I really like everything you're saying. I always said I wanted to live somewhere with no winters...

Chapel Hill is a gloriously progressive town (as are many of the cities in NC) full of hip, delicious restaurants that definitely cater to veggies/vegans. You might want to look into living in Carrboro (which is contiguous with Chapel Hill but more hipster/hippy/funky than fratty). If you end up there, you'll also want to venture to Durham for yummy local veggie friendly options. And deeeeefinitely get up to Asheville for a long weekend sometime if you're living in NC.

And do you like microbrews? Because North Carolina has the most best local breweries in nation and quite possibly... the WORLD. And way less expensive than up north!

Cheers!

Lurker here too! Like you, was also wait listed at my dream program, Rice! Wishing us both luck. Does anyone have advice on how to respond to the wait list email? I'm thinking, "please pick me, oh please" might be too intense, but I really, really want it. 

Ditto!  And I second your question:  how do we respond to the email?

And do you like microbrews? Because North Carolina has the most best local breweries in nation and quite possibly... the WORLD. And way less expensive than up north!

Totally concur with this. Just moved away from NC after 7 years and I am definitely missing the wide array of excellent choices around the state! (As a midwesterner at heart, though, the east coast BBQ does leave something to be desired...just saying.)

Totally concur with this. Just moved away from NC after 7 years and I am definitely missing the wide array of excellent choices around the state! (As a midwesterner at heart, though, the east coast BBQ does leave something to be desired...just saying.)

Ah, you see, I suspect some tribalism going on here... coz one of my reference writers, who comes from Massachusetts, says that they have the best microbreweries. :D

Congrats to all the recent acceptances and wait lists!

Does anyone have advice on how to respond to the wait list email? I'm thinking, "please pick me, oh please" might be too intense, but I really, really want it. 

And I second your question:  how do we respond to the email?

What I've done is the following: 1. Graciously thank the DGS/PoI for the offer. 2. Express my high interest in the program. 3. Segue into asking if he/she is willing to share more detail regarding your position on the list/chances of admission (before April 15). In my experience, even if it is stated that wait list is "unranked," there is some hierarchy in terms of its structure. If you ask nicely, you might get inside info that you might not get otherwise. Hope this helps and good luck!

Congrats to all the recent acceptances and wait lists!

What I've done is the following: 1. Graciously thank the DGS/PoI for the offer. 2. Express my high interest in the program. 3. Segue into asking if he/she is willing to share more detail regarding your position on the list/chances of admission (before April 15). In my experience, even if it is stated that wait list is "unranked," there is some hierarchy in terms of its structure. If you ask nicely, you might get inside info that you might not get otherwise. Hope this helps and good luck!

Thanks for the advice! Rice's program is perfectly suited to my interests in postcolonialism, animal studies, and biopolitics. I'm sure any other animal studies scholars can easily guess my POI. ;) Here's to hope!

I'm sure any other animal studies scholars can easily guess my POI. 

Yay congrats! 

I "guess" Cary Wolfe, obviously. I'M JEALLY even though I didn't apply (and I cannot remember why - was it Texas?). It seems like such a great program! Rock it.

Edited by asleepawake

Wow. They must've really been wrestling with who would make the wait list. I bet you were incredibly close. Sorry to have just been assuming that everyone who hadn't heard was wait listed. (Where you at, two espressos?)

I got the email at exactly 5pm EST. (And added mine to the results right after posting here.)

Congrats on being waitlisted, GWWG!  I was actually rejected from Wisconsin-Madison, like It's (Not) About Me.  I guess I made some of the initial cuts, but finally got knocked out of the running. But yeah, my UNC news earlier this week completely obliterated any pain the Madison rejection could have caused.  B)

Not gonna lie, I thought I had a decent chance of being waitlisted, too! Which is why I really wanted them to return my freakin' email already. Haha. I will comfort myself by telling myself that I was soooorta close--I was waitlisted for the waitlist.  :rolleyes: Anyway, I'm glad that they finally notified you! I hope it becomes an official acceptance!

Yeah, I thought for sure I'd been waitlisted at Wisconsin-Madison!  Oh well.  To be honest, it was probably at the bottom of my list, though of course I would have loved to attend were I offered admission.

And yup yup, I have frequently done the "take a shower because it's the only way I can regain body heat" dance. Most recently: last night! Haha.

I'm intimately familiar with the "take a shower because it's the only way I can regain body heat" dance as well.  It's rough, especially at 6am.  :unsure:

Congrats on being waitlisted, GWWG!  I was actually rejected from Wisconsin-Madison, like It's (Not) About Me.  I guess I made some of the initial cuts, but finally got knocked out of the running. But yeah, my UNC news earlier this week completely obliterated any pain the Madison rejection could have caused.  B)

Yeah, I thought for sure I'd been waitlisted at Wisconsin-Madison!  Oh well.  To be honest, it was probably at the bottom of my list, though of course I would have loved to attend were I offered admission.

I'm intimately familiar with the "take a shower because it's the only way I can regain body heat" dance as well.  It's rough, especially at 6am.  :unsure:

Man, genuinely surprised about both of you! I hope your UNC wait list goes the way of (Not)'s soon.

Man, genuinely surprised about both of you! I hope your UNC wait list goes the way of (Not)'s soon.

Thanks, me too!  I'm inordinately stressed about it and keep rereading the emails/waitlist letter I've received, trying to determine exactly how likely I am to be admitted.  The info I've got is effusively positive yet strangely nebulous.  It would be super awesome if UNC accepted me quickly, like (Not).  Waiting until April 15th would be really rough!

Edited by Two Espressos

Can we make this real? That sounds delicious.

Yes. It's high time we had a beer symposium. I'd say since so many of our literary heroes (both real and fictional) drank themselves to death we should do this in their honor. Hemingway Hefe-weisen anyone? How about a Beckett Bock? Yoknapatawpha IPA?

As a native Oregonian, I take issue with this.  The Pacific Northwest is true Beervana, you guys in NC are pretenders to the throne!!!!

Of course, Oregon only has U of O as a good school, and it means living in Eugene.  So that's a tradeoff.

Sorry to derail, congrats to all who have heard today!

Now we just have to wait on the folks heading to Boulder and the ones from the Pacific NW to join the conversation and we can have an all-out nation-wide Brew-off!

As a native Oregonian, I take issue with this.  The Pacific Northwest is true Beervana, you guys in NC are pretenders to the throne!!!!

Of course, Oregon only has U of O as a good school, and it means living in Eugene.  So that's a tradeoff.

Sorry to derail, congrats to all who have heard today!

There we go! So now we're just waiting for a Boulderite. :D

Now we just have to wait on the folks heading to Boulder and the ones from the Pacific NW to join the conversation and we can have an all-out nation-wide Brew-off!

Ok screw this "derailing" thing, LETS GO.  @Girlwhowearsglasses - where do you represent.  Northwest coming in here to ask if we can adopt Northern California?  Because I've had some kickass collaboration brews w/ 21st Amendment and Ninkasi

Ok screw this "derailing" thing, LETS GO.  @Girlwhowearsglasses - where do you represent.  Northwest coming in here to ask if we can adopt Northern California?  Because I've had some kickass collaboration brews w/ 21st Amendment and Ninkasi

Michigan. Where we have nothing better to do than perfect our brewing.

Michigan. Where we have nothing better to do than perfect our brewing.

You say this, but I come from Britain, the most boring and grey place in the world, where nothing happens without booze of the finest quality! I reckon the Old World should get in on this, too!

Edited by Ategenos