Acceptance Freakout Thread

There are 3 "by phone" rejections on the results board. 

Yeah, what is that about? I can't even imagine a situation in which a school would have the time to call rejects. And the idea of getting a call that basically consists of "thanks for trying! But no," sounds horrible!

Yeah, what is that about? I can't even imagine a situation in which a school would have the time to call rejects. And the idea of getting a call that basically consists of "thanks for trying! But no," sounds horrible!

My theory (because I'm thinking about this way too much) is that either three seperate people called to ask about their status when they saw the admits being posted and were all told they were rejected. If it's not that, then someone is being a super jerk.

That sounds terrifying. And beyond awkward. 

Speaking of, I got a voice message from UofT while I was driving. Now I'm waiting for her to call back...

That sounds terrifying. And beyond awkward. 

Speaking of, I got a voice message from UofT while I was driving. Now I'm waiting for her to call back...

I'm sure it's great news! Let us know when you talk to them. :)

Not to mention, I don't think I want to be in academics anymore if the potential future job description involves calling people to tell them they're rejected...

I'm sure it's great news! Let us know when you talk to them. :)

Thanks! It did turn out to be good news--I was accepted to the MA program. Since I am horribly awkward on the phone, the conversation was pretty minimal. Offers will go out by end of next week (I think) with a decision deadline of April 1st. 

She did first ask me if I was still interested in the program, though. 

Thanks! It did turn out to be good news--I was accepted to the MA program. Since I am horribly awkward on the phone, the conversation was pretty minimal. Offers will go out by end of next week (I think) with a decision deadline of April 1st. 

She did first ask me if I was still interested in the program, though. 

Congratulations! :)

And a big congrats to everyone else who recently received good news.

What field of study are you going into at UF? I applied there as well so I hope to hear something soon!

Vic lit and gender studies

I actually had a missed call on Monday and had an agonizing wait until I got the 2nd call this afternoon.

Good luck! I hope you hear good news soon!

Edited by Pemberley

Based on the feedback I got when I was rejected (via email) from UF last year, I am almost 100% positive those phone rejection posts are fake.

Thank you for your personal experience. I totally agree with you and think that those rejections are fake.

Vic lit and gender studies

I actually had a missed call on Monday and had an agonizing wait until I got the 2nd call this afternoon.

Good luck! I hope you hear good news soon!

Yes! Another Vic Lit person! I applied to the MA for Vic lit and Women's studies. I'm now keeping my phone on the loudest volume possible and next to me at ALL times lol

Thanks! If I get in, let's chat :)

On 2/27/2013 at 10:25 AM, pomoisdead said:

Totally agree. I can't fathom spending every moment doing just research, writing, studying, etc then being expected to thrust myself into the 4/4 world. There has to be an in between. Isn't it fair to assume we're seeking this degree with academia in mind anyhow? But yes, the money is low for the expectations...

This is basically where I'm at with the offer from UK. I would be fine with a 2/2, in theory. When I was doing my MA, it was 2/1 during my first year but the incoming DGS got it reduced to 1/1 during my second year. Part of the issue, though, is that a LOT of PhD students I knew in my MA (and I'm sure this is fairly prevalent) either adjuncted 1 class a semester at another local institution (small 4 year colleges & community colleges) to help pay the bills, or else they found additional work (maybe 10 hrs / wk) within the university. For example, at Case there are a few English PhD students who teach a spoken English / presentation skills course that's required for new international TA's who score lower on spoken English proficiency tests. With a 1/1 (or even a 2/1) teaching load, taking on outside work for additional funding is entirely doable. But when it's 2/2, and the stipend is significantly lower than most other programs, that's tough.

Of course, a big factor in my decision making will be finding what works best for both me and my wife. She's in special education, and the prevailing wisdom is that there are more teaching jobs available in the south. (There certainly are none in Western PA!) So if she found a really good job in Lexington, then the lower stipend would be less of an issue.

Anyway, I've still got that wait-list spot at WashU (which is very high on my list), and I'm not not yet halfway through hearing back from all my applications. So who knows where this could all end up!

On another note, I got into Auburn today (my close-to-home security blanket school). The comfort of home is definitely appealing... 

I'm in sort of a similar situation.. except that my only choice is between two schools in the state which I already reside. I've gotten the impression that it "looks better" if you move around a little. Any thoughts?

I'm in sort of a similar situation.. except that my only choice is between two schools in the state which I already reside. I've gotten the impression that it "looks better" if you move around a little. Any thoughts?

I initially thought I wouldn't get into any schools, so I convinced myself I wanted to go to Auburn or UA with my heart set on the not-so-far Emory, but my professors were all like, "Don't go to school here, it'll be good to go away blah blah blah exposure to more diversity." I'm not originally from Alabama (I've lived in Germany and various other states), but I think it's probably more beneficial to move around if you're from a largely rural, underpopulated state like Alabama for the sake of proving that you've engaged in cultural & intellectual exchange with a more diverse group of people. If you were from New York State or California (or a few other places), however, I don't think it'd be such a big deal. Just my 2 humble pennies.