Acceptance Freakout Thread

I came home to a missed call from a witheld number and am now paranoid that it was a school and that omg, I wrote my e-mail wrong too or something and how will they ever contact meeeeee.  Even though:

1) it was probably just my grandmother or something

2) a school would left a message, seriously self, get a grip

Is it tomorrow yet? Preferably business hours? Is it?

For the past two days in a row I've received a call with a withheld number at around 5-6pm Pacific Time. I never get undisclosed calls. And they never leave a message. What time are your calls? Maybe we can figure out which school this was or at least speculate.

edited to say: #2 is not always correct. I heard from last year's applicants that some schools, for whatever reason, call but don't leave messages.

Edited by ImWantHazPhD

I applied to UPenn, Wisconsin-Madison, UNC-Chapel Hill, NYU, Northwestern, Buffalo, and Georgetown.  I count Madison, NYU, Northwestern, and Buffalo as implicit rejections.

Sorry to hear about the rejections. I too have been implicitly rejected from Buffalo, Duke Lit as well. I'm really hoping Georgetown hits us with some good news.

Edited by nhswrestle

OSU didn't leave a message, but they also disclosed their number.

Also, my Madison rejection finally came through via website. :( At least I was expecting it?)

Really sorry about that. Where did it come in? My status page still hasn't changed at all. (More. Silence. I am feeling invisible.)

Really sorry about that. Where did it come in? My status page still hasn't changed at all. (More. Silence. I am feeling invisible.)

My status rolled over to denied on my.wisc. GC won't let me add screenshots, but it is noted on both screens.

Are you still pending? Hopefully that means you've been waitlisted? Although, I would hope they would notify you of that.

My status rolled over to denied on my.wisc. GC won't let me add screenshots, but it is noted on both screens.

Are you still pending? Hopefully that means you've been waitlisted? Although, I would hope they would notify you of that.

Ok, thanks for sharing. I kept thinking maybe I have been checking the wrong website somehow. Still pending, the other page still says it's under review or whatever. Thanks for the well-wishes.

I just went back and re-read my Buffalo SOP to see what exactly I said in my fit paragraph. I discovered two unbelievable typos (a completely missed period—like, a new sentence just begins; and an omission of the word "is" that forced me to re-read a sentence 2 or 3 times) and an overuse of the word "particularly."

I remember this was my last SOP on the Dec. 15th megadeadline. I had to go to a show that night, and I was typing the last sentences of the fit paragraph while everyone was shouting, "Come on! Let's go! We were supposed to be there twenty minutes ago!" If I remember correctly, I was drinking a beer at the time.

Not feeling so bad about the typo in my Irvine SOP anymore.

I just went back and re-read my Buffalo SOP to see what exactly I said in my fit paragraph. I discovered two unbelievable typos (a completely missed period—like, a new sentence just begins; and an omission of the word "is" that forced me to re-read a sentence 2 or 3 times) and an overuse of the word "particularly."   I remember this was my last SOP on the Dec. 15th megadeadline. I had to go to a show that night, and I was typing the last sentences of the fit paragraph while everyone was shouting, "Come on! Let's go! We were supposed to be there twenty minutes ago!" If I remember correctly, I was drinking a beer at the time.   Not feeling so bad about the typo in my Irvine SOP anymore.
swag.

NYU CALLED SOMEONE TODAY?!?!?!?!

Oh wow. I really hope it's not a late poster and that it was really today...and so, maybe, we can hold on to a tiny bit of hope for just one more day.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh wow. I really hope it's not a late poster and that it was really today...and so, maybe, we can hold on to a tiny bit of hope for just one more day.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope so too!! I'm going crazy right now and I'm supposed to write the conclusion for my thesis... :wacko: Which I have to hand in in three hours :o

I hope so too!! I'm going crazy right now and I'm supposed to write the conclusion for my thesis... :wacko: Which I have to hand in in three hours :o

Good luck! I'm also having a really hard time concentrating on my thesis this week...but it's due in a month so your situation is much more intense.

But seriously somebody needs to claim that acceptance and let everyone know if the call was indeed today!

Good luck to everyone this week/month!

I got my second rejection today from Northwestern (and was in the Vandy bloodbath as well) with another two implicit rejections. Even though I have seven schools left, nine if I hold out hope from those two implicits, I still feel . . . doomed is maybe the correct word? Strangely enough, reading this thread and seeing everyone in the same situation, or better, seeing people get in, make me feel happy. Wow, this became a day time talk show very quickly, haha.

And for those people hopeful for a Georgetown admit, I did my Masters there and can say it's a WONDERFUL experience. Good luck!!

For the past two days in a row I've received a call with a withheld number at around 5-6pm Pacific Time. I never get undisclosed calls. And they never leave a message. What time are your calls? Maybe we can figure out which school this was or at least speculate.

edited to say: #2 is not always correct. I heard from last year's applicants that some schools, for whatever reason, call but don't leave messages.

Seriously? How weird!  But the call I got was around 6:30PST, I think. Hm...

^ I've been freaking out anytime I get a call from an unknown number, esp. since my phone tells me what state the area code is from. On Sunday I got a call from a California number and my heart was racing... it was just the pizza deliverer calling to confirm my address. D'oh!

The phone thing is seriously just killing me.  I got a call today from an unknown number and IT WAS FROM "DAVE," LOOKING FOR "SHELLEY." Why do you haaaate me phooooneeee!

eta: And no, tragically, I am not Shelley.

Edited by kalliel

I also got mine this morning, about an hour after a friend.  They may be breaking it into small groups to avoid email bounce-back.  Or maybe rejection has made us cynical and you've been waitlisted!

Congrats on the official word, Datatape!

I just went back and re-read my Buffalo SOP to see what exactly I said in my fit paragraph. I discovered two unbelievable typos (a completely missed period—like, a new sentence just begins; and an omission of the word "is" that forced me to re-read a sentence 2 or 3 times) and an overuse of the word "particularly."

I remember this was my last SOP on the Dec. 15th megadeadline. I had to go to a show that night, and I was typing the last sentences of the fit paragraph while everyone was shouting, "Come on! Let's go! We were supposed to be there twenty minutes ago!" If I remember correctly, I was drinking a beer at the time.

Not feeling so bad about the typo in my Irvine SOP anymore.

Ha! You rock! Likewise, my writing sample to a TON of schools, including Buffalo, has a random paragraph indented way over and with a giant "1." before it. No idea how it happened, but my decision to not look at it after submitting caused it to go to at least 6 or 7 schools like this before I noticed. I'm glad Buffalo is willing to overlook the fact that we need editors. 

Today looks like a terrible massacre over on the results board. None of my schools, but condolences to those affected. 

Congrats on the official word, Datatape!

Ha! You rock! Likewise, my writing sample to a TON of schools, including Buffalo, has a random paragraph indented way over and with a giant "1." before it. No idea how it happened, but my decision to not look at it after submitting caused it to go to at least 6 or 7 schools like this before I noticed. I'm glad Buffalo is willing to overlook the fact that we need editors. 

Today looks like a terrible massacre over on the results board. None of my schools, but condolences to those affected. 

They might think that paragraph was a highly conceptual element.