Acceptance Freakout Thread

After two years of posting on these threads, rejoicing in others' acceptances, commiserating in others' rejections, and constantly questioning whether or not I really could be a scholar, I'm ecstatic to report:

I'VE JUST BEEN WAITLISTED AT UNC-CHAPEL HILL!  :wub:

Hurrah!!

After two years of posting on these threads, rejoicing in others' acceptances, commiserating in others' rejections, and constantly questioning whether or not I really could be a scholar, I'm ecstatic to report:

ZOMG YAAAAAAAYYYY!!! I'm so unbelievably happy for you!! :D :D

[edit: sorry the gif file f'd up, but still yaaaay!]

Edited by bfat

I am so unbelievably happy for you!!! Congrats!

YES!!

Thanks, everyone!  The email came out of nowhere.  I got it less than an hour ago and wasn't expecting it AT ALL.

I still can't believe it.  Holy shit.

Okay so I'm going to ask this here, cause why not?  But Chapel Hill invited me to the prospective students weekend this March, and they said they'd cover hotel accommodations (but not airfare.  Apparently no one--including accepted students-- is receiving airfare reimbursement this year).  How soon is too soon to reply to the graduate admissions director and ask for more info about the waitlist: how large it is, how likely I am to be admitted, etc.?

Sorry if I'm rambling/incoherent.  I'm just so happy!  :)

Edited by Two Espressos

Thanks, everyone!  The email came out of nowhere.  I got it less than an hour ago and wasn't expecting it AT ALL.

I still can't believe it.  Holy shit.

Okay so I'm going to ask this here, cause why not?  But Chapel Hill invited me to the prospective students weekend this march, and they said they'd cover hotel accommodations (but not airfare.  Apparently no one--including accepted students-- is receiving airfare reimbursement this year).  Does the invitation at all imply that I might be high up on the waitlist?

Oh and how soon is too soon to reply to the graduate admissions director and ask for more info about the waitlist: how large it is, how high up on it I am, how likely I am to be admitted, etc.?

Sorry if I'm rambling/incoherent.  I'm just so happy!  :)

I don't think it's very common to reimburse people that the school isn't really interested; maybe they feel confident about your place on the waitlist! As for how soon to reply with questions, my average is about 12-16 hours. Usually after sleeping on it. But that's only because if I replied immediately, I would sound like a babbling, overeager buffoon. If you think you can handle it, write that email! And then tell us everything :D

Edited by dazedandbemused

I don't think it's very common to reimburse people that the school isn't really interested; maybe they feel confident about your place on the waitlist! As for how soon to reply with questions, my average is about 12-16 hours. Usually after sleeping on it. But that's only because if I replied immediately, I would sound like a babbling, overeager buffoon. If you think you can handle it, write that email! And then tell us everything :D

I'm pretty sure I'd sound like a babbling, overeager buffoon too.  Sleeping on it is eminently sensible advice.  Thanks!

The email and letter both really emphasized that the waitlist for UNC is dynamic and that students are frequently accepted off it.  If I read the info correctly, all of the waitlisted students are invited to the prospective students weekend, and the waitlist is apparently small (smaller than the 8% of applicants accepted this year).

So intriguing!  I'm trying not to get my hopes up, but I would *love* to go to UNC.  Fingers crossed for good news, and I'll be sure to let you know what happens!

ETA: My reading comprehension skills have seen better days, lol.  Apparently the waitlist is unranked.  What am I to make of this?  Hm...

Edited by Two Espressos

tumblr_mcuzinRmXI1rjn8jjo1_500.gif

FINALLY OMG. The invite to visiting weekend sounds VERY promising! 

Apparently the waitlist is unranked.  What am I to make of this?  Hm...

It means expressing continued interest, staying in contact, asking for updates, and keeping them updated with your own status - persistently but not annoyingly so - will be key. Ask them if they group their list by subfield - it's likely that they do. Congrats! That they invited you to the weekend is very promising.

It means expressing continued interest, staying in contact, asking for updates, and keeping them updated with your own status - persistently but not annoyingly so - will be key. Ask them if they group their list by subfield - it's likely that they do. Congrats! That they invited you to the weekend is very promising.

Thanks for the info!  Should I make it known to UNC that I'm very fond of their program and would most likely attend if admitted?

Thanks for the info!  Should I make it known to UNC that I'm very fond of their program and would most likely attend if admitted?

You should absolutely make some initial contact in the next day or two to express your strong interest and desire to remain on the waitlist. As far as, "If admitted, I would attend," goes, that's the golden sentence, but you'll want to wait for the right time to say it - not before you've heard back from all of your own schools, and probably not before you visit and have a much better sense of the situation. If you want more advice on waitlist strategy, PM me. I was basically a professional waitlister the year I applied, and it worked out for me!

You should absolutely make some initial contact in the next day or two to express your strong interest and desire to remain on the waitlist. As far as, "If admitted, I would attend," goes, that's the golden sentence, but you'll want to wait for the right time to say it - not before you've heard back from all of your own schools, and probably not before you visit and have a much better sense of the situation. If you want more advice on waitlist strategy, PM me. I was basically a professional waitlister the year I applied, and it worked out for me!

Again, thank you so much for your advice here.  I'll certainly PM you if I have any specific questions.

long time no "see"! hope you're good. Louisiana has mostly been good to me (done with coursework now which is super exciting!) despite the summer weather. mostly lurking this thread to watch for new admits as I assume you're doing too.

congrats to twoespressos (who I recognize) and all the others who've heard good news. if anyone has questions about LSU feel free to ask, although I don't know where they're at in the process since we just wrapped up FIVE tenure track job searches. let me tell you, after watching that many job talks (3 job talks for each open job), you start to get a really good idea of what works and what...utterly fails.

Hey, good to "see" you, too! I'm glad you like Louisiana - I miss it sometimes! Went to New Orleans for a bit this summer. Michigan has been good to me, too. I just did prelims in January, and will be done with coursework after April (I'm taking one course and teaching one course right now). In that stage where I'm supposed to be coming up with a diss topic, but every time I have an inkling of an idea, I find the book that someone already wrote on it last year. Yikes.

And yes, I am lurking to look for new admits. I totally thought it was going to be late last week, but we're much later than usual this year. We also have had job candidates, but just for one position (y'all have FIVE?! couldn't they have waited a few years on a couple of those for me to get my PhD so I could apply?! ;)), so that may have something to do with it, along with starting the semester a week later than usual and having a new DGS this year. I also just figure I got so much good advice from generous grad students when I was applying that it's nice to pay it forward a bit. If anyone has questions about Michigan, PM me!

CONGRATULATIONS, Two Espressos!  :D  ^_^  B)  :lol:

I can 100% relate to your joy, because I got waitlisted too! I am beyond shocked. Apparently the email was sent last night, but I didn't see it until this morning--I practically spit corn flakes all over my laptop. This is the first bit of positive news I've gotten, and it couldn't have come at a better time. I had basically given up hope. After beating myself up so much, it's surreal to think that someone might actually want me.

Okay so I'm going to ask this here, cause why not?  But Chapel Hill invited me to the prospective students weekend this March, and they said they'd cover hotel accommodations (but not airfare.  Apparently no one--including accepted students-- is receiving airfare reimbursement this year).  How soon is too soon to reply to the graduate admissions director and ask for more info about the waitlist: how large it is, how likely I am to be admitted, etc.?

Gaaaah I know I'm going to sound like a damn fool when I write to her. I mentioned her by name in my SOP because I would be super thrilled to work with her. Do you think you're gonna go to the Open House? I really wish I could, but it's looking like plane tickets will be at least $300, which I could swing if I REALLYREALLY want to, but it wouldn't be easy. But if it's the only bite I get (which is very possible), I'm sure as hell gonna want to visit before committing to 5-7 years there! Gah.

It sounded to me like they do somehow organize the waitlist by subfield--my letter mentioned my specific interests a couple of times. Hmm!

Thank you for throwing out this advice, even though it wasn't intended for me! Haha. Would it be OK if I PM you too?

Guyzzz I'm freaking out. UNC was one of my tippity-top choices and I was so devastated when I didn't get an acceptance. I can't believe it's not over yet.

Another congratulations for Two Espressos.  I did my undergrad in Chapel Hill, and Carrboro is one of my favorite places in the world.  A great department full of brilliant people.  Feel free to PM if you want/need to know anything about the area.  

Edit: It's (Not), all the same to and for you.

Edited by thebeatgoeson

AWESOME!!!! I HOPE YOU GET IN! YAY! IT WORKED OUT!!!!

I keep rereading this e-mail. I've been accepted to my top choice with a seriously amazing funding offer. I'm supposed to call tomorrow, wow. I thought that this season was going to be a learning experience and a choice between a poorly funded program and a round two. It really isn't over until its over! They even made a bunch of references to my papers in the offer; they love me, they really love me... :lol:

YAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!