2013 Acceptances/Rejections Thread

AaronM

As I said in a previous post, I called UPenn and I found out I was rejected.

That doesn't mean you're not on one of DarthVegan's secret waitlists.

Thanks, that seriously made my day, haha!

Ok, so I just called the Columbia GSAS admissions and asked if all the decisions have been made for Sociology, and the person on the other line said they are "still working on it," including sending out the acceptance emails. When I asked him if I could find out my status, he said he couldn't disclose that information yet. It seemed like they were bombarded with calls like mine.

Edited by cocommi

Ok, so I just called the Columbia GSAS admissions and asked if all the decisions have been made for Sociology, and the person on the other line said they are "still working on it," including sending out the acceptance emails. When I asked him if I could find out my status, he said he couldn't disclose that information yet. It seemed like they were bombarded with calls like mine.

Oh wow! So I guess there is still hope for us. Good luck!!!! 

Oh wow! So I guess there is still hope for us. Good luck!!!! 

Yeah, I am just worried that the reply they gave me is their standard message to everyone who calls. We shall see... good luck to you as well!

Having been around the boards for a few years, I believe Columbia and Chicago send out their rejections late because they both have free standing, unfunded masters programs (I know people who've done both and felt they were worth it and are now in excellent PhD programs. I know people who've done both and felt like all they got out of it was a realization they didn't want to be in academia. This is probably not the place to say "I'd never do that!"). The acceptances for the masters programs are mostly people who didn't make the cut for the PhD admissions. I don't know the details of the admissions process, but it may well be two separate committee sessions: one for PhD, one for the masters.

Also in general, I would contact the department (DGS or department secretary) rather than than the school if you're looking for leaks. I believe in the past, however, both only had one wave of PhD admits. That said, looking at the results page, it looks like this is the first time anyone from the boards was on a Columbia sociology waitlist so who knows).

I'm a "lurker" coming out of the shadows. Anybody heard anything/contacted either Yale or NYU about where they are in the process? Looking at past years dates for acceptances, they should be coming up soon!

Edited by froot_loop

I'm a "lurker" coming out of the shadows. Anybody heard anything/contacted either Yale or NYU about where they are in the process? Looking at past years dates for acceptances, they should be coming up soon!

I applied to Yale and have heard nothing yet.

My rejections from similarly-ranked institutions does not give me much hope, but my research interest relies on the Strong Program in cultural sociology currently based there - so who knows. Plenty of people on this forum have discussed their tales or or those of others who get rejected from less prestigious institutions only to later get into their dream, top-ranked institution. 

My rejections from similarly-ranked institutions does not give me much hope, but my research interest relies on the Strong Program in cultural sociology currently based there - so who knows. Plenty of people on this forum have discussed their tales or or those of others who get rejected from less prestigious institutions only to later get into their dream, top-ranked institution. 

I'm in the same boat. I'm stoked at the opportunity to go to Oregon, but I am still hoping for good news from my top choice (Dev. Soc at Cornell), or possibly Toronto. 

Things like that random Berkeley admission are what prevent me from sleeping at night.

Hey RandomDood, I'll claim that one. A complete shock -- a POI emailed me a couple hours ago with his congratulations, even though I hadn't received anything official. I called the dep't to confirm and was told that faculty had been assigned to reach out to each of the admits. Sounds like they are all doing so at different times since the first one went up over 10 days ago. Shortly after, I got an automated email with a link to the decision letter.

(Also, it's possible that people who applied for FLAS awards are hearing later -- PM me if you want to speculate with me about that :)

Sending you good thoughts.

Hey bluegraygreen! Congratulations! I am really happy for you! :-)

Thank you for claiming the acceptance, it really helps to understand the dynamics of different schools and modes of sending out offers.

I really lost my hopes to get into Berkeley even before I applied, since it's basically impossible for international students to get in, but I was like "hey, might as well give it a shot".

For me it's just that I would love to be able to be peacefully resigned about the schools I haven't heard back from yet, rather than having wonderful stories like yours keeping my hopes up :-)

Once again, congratulations and thank you for sharing your experience with us!

Same story here - nothing out of Yale. Hoping to hear soon! (And yeah, when I was applying soc phds 3 years ago I got rejected from programs in the 30s and got into a top 5, so ... yeah, no rhyme, no reason, no nothin'.)

Same story here - nothing out of Yale. Hoping to hear soon! (And yeah, when I was applying soc phds 3 years ago I got rejected from programs in the 30s and got into a top 5, so ... yeah, no rhyme, no reason, no nothin'.)

It's none of my business, but if you don't mind sharing, why are you reapplying?

It's none of my business, but if you don't mind sharing, why are you reapplying?

I had the same question!

'Cause I'm a loon.

Naw, but seriously, I ended up going to that top5 program and finishing my MA, having a pretty good time, doing well enough but ultimately deciding that I didn't think academic sociology was me. A few months after I leave, I'm having second thoughts, and a few months after that I'm back into full-blown applications mode. I think my big problem was picking a program that wasn't a great fit (because I didn't honestly know what I wanted to do), and wedding myself to a methodology and project that I didn't find satisfying.

Now I'm reapplying, sticking in my home region of the Northeast, and couldn't be more excited. Already pumped about the options I have. 

It turns out when you only apply to two programs and are only accepted by one, the choice is exceptionally easy.

I was kind of on a high yesterday after hearing from Madison only to wake up this morning to bad news from Indiana.

I don't envy those of you who applied to numerous programs that still have yet to notify anybody. Although in hindsight, applying to only two programs was stressful in its own way. Before yesterday I was seriously re-evaluating what my options were since I was convinced no good news was going to come. Good luck to everybody else who is still waiting to hear!

With acceptance rates in the 3-8% range (8% being unusually high) I could never imagine only applying to two programs.

It turns out when you only apply to two programs and are only accepted by one, the choice is exceptionally easy.

I was kind of on a high yesterday after hearing from Madison only to wake up this morning to bad news from Indiana.

I don't envy those of you who applied to numerous programs that still have yet to notify anybody. Although in hindsight, applying to only two programs was stressful in its own way. Before yesterday I was seriously re-evaluating what my options were since I was convinced no good news was going to come. Good luck to everybody else who is still waiting to hear!

@DarthVegan - you're telling me. I only applied to 6 programs both times around, and it's managed to work out, but there's definitely been a looming fear between December-January of not getting in anywhere at all and being stuck at my miserable job for another year! I just honestly am so drained by the application process that I have trouble getting more than six or so out.

And MDK, congrats on Madison! 2 programs (especially 2 that are so competitive) sure is "living on the edge," but it's awesome that it's working out for you.