2013 Acceptances/Rejections Thread

AaronM

That's awesome, congrats! They really want you. 

Yeah it feels good. I also looked at their placement record for the last 10 years and it looks like they place a pretty high percentage of students into tenure track jobs. Many of those are at small state schools but I have no problem with that. I just don't want to get stuck in the adjunct or visiting professor trap. 

Yeah it feels good. I also looked at their placement record for the last 10 years and it looks like they place a pretty high percentage of students into tenure track jobs. Many of those are at small state schools but I have no problem with that. I just don't want to get stuck in the adjunct or visiting professor trap. 

Just curious and kind of off topic, but where do you fidn placement records?

Are you talking about Oregon or schools in general? Some schools publish the info on their webpages, some don't. 

Info on Oregon is found here: http://sociology.uoregon.edu/graduate/phdlisting.php

Re: Columbia and NYU, I've heard nothing from either.

Re: Wisconsin, I got admission letter yesterday. FYI, it says that starting this year they are admitting far fewer students because they're only admitting as many as they can guarantee full funding for five years.

You can also try the NRC rankings at www.phds.org. They don't have data for some schools, and the data they do have are a little old, but there's some info about "percent of students with a job or definite commitment after graduation." It's not the best but it might help a little.

Otherwise, I've put some effort into trying to hunt down CVs/publication records of current students, and simply google alumni, but it's not an especially reliable process. 

Edited by Farragoshy

Getting annoyed with all these random college/universities sending me emails about their open houses and inovative theology programs. UGH!!! Stop!

Ha, I literally just got an email from the "Chicago Theological Seminary," whatever that is. You too?

Oops. Is there a protocol for butt-dialing your POI, thinking they called you, calling them back without realizing who it was, asking whether they called you earlier, hanging up sort of brusquely thinking it was a wrong number, and then going through your call history and realizing what happened?

No?

There isn't?

Oops. Is there a protocol for butt-dialing your POI, thinking they called you, calling them back without realizing who it was, asking whether they called you earlier, hanging up sort of brusquely thinking it was a wrong number, and then going through your call history and realizing what happened?

No?

There isn't?

Try not to let it happen again?

Man, I'm so glad that the calling thing didn't happen when I was applying. Back then it was more about emails, which were awkward enough to write.

phd072508s.gif

Then, now, and probably forever.

Re: Wisconsin, I got admission letter yesterday. FYI, it says that starting this year they are admitting far fewer students because they're only admitting as many as they can guarantee full funding for five years.

Edited by FertMigMort

No?

There isn't?

Seriously the one time spammers got ahold of my email was during application season, so I sent everyone in my recent contacts, including multiple Soc. departments that I had communicated with, a link to some exercise supplement site with "Check out this stuff. I've been using it and it really works!" written under it. 

In a situation like that, do you email everyone back and apologize, or just let it go? 

Seriously the one time spammers got ahold of my email was during application season, so I sent everyone in my recent contacts, including multiple Soc. departments that I had communicated with, a link to some exercise supplement site with "Check out this stuff. I've been using it and it really works!" written under it.

In a situation like that, do you email everyone back and apologize, or just let it go?

I'd just let it go. I'm sure they realize that it was a mistake.

Accepted to the MA program at the University of Victoria.

Congrats! Thinking about doing an MA then reapplying for PhDs afterward? Is it funded?

and @Zsick: I'm never sure how to handle communications like that with faculty at prospective schools. I just assume that they have enough random e-mails, phone calls, and other contacts that they don't really need a laborious apology for one accidental spam in particular. Unless it's really egregious or something.

I'd just let it go. I'm sure they realize that it was a mistake.

I did, and I assumed they would. Except the next day my boss, who is a director of research, asked me how long I'd been using the supplement. Apparently *older* people are still fooled by those things...

So I had a visit weekend for a non-soc department this past weekend. I'm mildly freaking out cause they haven't reached out to us yet. I know Emory Soc had their visit day and sent out notifications on Monday. But here I am on Wednesday still without word. What's the regular wait time after an interview/visit? I had a phone interview on Super Bowl sunday but knew that one would be 1-2 weeks.