2013 Acceptances/Rejections Thread

AaronM

I found out this morning that I am wait-listed for funding at the University of Pittsburgh. The graduate studies secretary informed me that not all offers of admission had been accepted and that the department might gain more assistantships as well.

Anyone earn an offer here they are likely to decline? I am not trying to hasten or persuade anyone's decision-making process. I am just trying to figure out whether or not I should consider Pittsburgh as any kind of realistic option, as I find the program very appealing. Luckily, I have offers elsewhere.

I found out this morning that I am wait-listed for funding at the University of Pittsburgh. The graduate studies secretary informed me that not all offers of admission had been accepted and that the department might gain more assistantships as well.

Anyone earn an offer here they are likely to decline? I am not trying to hasten or persuade anyone's decision-making process. I am just trying to figure out whether or not I should consider Pittsburgh as any kind of realistic option, as I find the program very appealing. Luckily, I have offers elsewhere.

As with many departments, even if you don't hear anything by the deadline, you probably will hear something on or immediately following. Given the backlog of people accepting right until the deadline, departments shift around their spots and move people off the waitlist. I'm almost positive Pitt did this last year (after I declined my offer). 

It was my experience that some programs even pulled people off the "rejection" list and offered them admission with full funding. 

The short of it is, although the "official" deadline is the 15th, there are many unofficial things that get done to ensure that a program's cohort size will be sufficient.

Good luck!!!

The short of it is, although the "official" deadline is the 15th, there are many unofficial things that get done to ensure that a program's cohort size will be sufficient.

Good luck!!!

This is helpful information, SocingHxC, thank you!

Although I am moving forward with the information I have and will accept an offer prior to April 15th, I still haven't heard from one school and was wondering about the probability of hearing after the deadline.