2013 Acceptances/Rejections Thread

AaronM

Re. Yale: They sent out the Visit Days invite yesterday. The CC field of that invite included the email addresses of all the prospective admits. If the other prospective grad students on that list didn't already know that they'd been accepted, then they must surely know it now. 

Edit: Hence, the reasoning behind my response posted to the results board.

thanks!

And thanks amlobo! 

now I'm done and done! 

Been nice knowing all of ya!  If anyone is at PAA then give me a shout (if you can identify me  :) 

I guess not. The 3rd year would be a 25% Readership and I'd have to apply for TA/RA positions after years 3.

My POI told me the first year is fellowship, with no requirements (maybe the first 2 years for your package).  They want you to adjust to the quarter system, I think, was her understanding of why they try to give no TA/RA responsibilities the first year.

Just wanted to say that I really enjoyed my UCSD visit today. 

Swweeet! Are you going to the SF and Victoria visits as well?   My experience of Victoria, spent 6 months and have lots of friends who live/went there, is that the university vibe is grand, strong community.   I would raise a finger about downtown Victoria tho...  there are warning signs that it will follow some of the other mid-major B.C cities. (Just don't google Macleans and take it for a serious newspaper..). I spent 2 years in Saskatoon (which is supposed to be third most dangerous city in Canada) and never ever ever felt threatened or at-danger. 

(my posts seems to go south very easily - sorry.. )

Edited by ohgoodness

Just wanted to say that I really enjoyed my UCSD visit today. 

That's awesome!  So you went out prior to the Visit Day?  Were you still able to make the most out of the visit (i.e. meet some grad students/faculty, see campus/La Jolla/San Diego proper)?

Wait listed at Northeastern and Loyola, rejected from BU and Brandeis.....rough week for me. 

So there are some rejections, one acceptance and one wait-listed for Northeastern. My status still says `under committee review`. I wonder if all the rejections find out their status by a random website check. 

Giddens, could you please inform us how you were contacted by Northeastern? There was no wait list for Northeastern last year. 

So there are some rejections, one acceptance and one wait-listed for Northeastern. My status still says `under committee review`. I wonder if all the rejections find out their status by a random website check. 

Giddens, could you please inform us how you were contacted by Northeastern? There was no wait list for Northeastern last year. 

Not sure if this helps at all, I posted the acceptance to Northeastern. I was notified by email and there's apparently an open house on March 25. I will however most likely be declining the offer.

I contacted the graduate director directly. It seems like last year(s) they admitted more students and wait listed them for funding. It seems like this year they are only admitting students they have funding for. 

Edited by Giddens

Hi Giddens-

Good to know about NEU. I was accepted to NEU last year, but deferred b/c they did not offer funding. I just heard from them this Friday and well, because of an "unusually competitive year," they are not forwarding me on for funding. 

Not sure what is going on there...

S.

Edited by sngj1210

Hi Giddens-

Good to know about NEU. I was accepted to NEU last year, but deferred b/c they did not offer funding. I just heard from them this Friday and well, because of an "unusually competitive year," they are not forwarding me on for funding. 

S.

Hi, so are you accepted but couldn't receive a funding offer? I was accepted last year also and wait-listed for funding but couldn't get an offer at the end. I am very curious about my situation this year. I guess I should contact the graduate director.

For those of us still waiting to hear from U Penn: I contacted the graduate coordinator and she said that by March 8th we should receive an e-mail or our status will be posted online.

I got the same reply... sounds like a rejection bomb is looming...  :mellow:

Hi Giddens-

S.

Ugh, yeah every program has had an "unusually competitive year." I suspect that every year, every program claims an unusually competitive year.  While some programs have been gracious and to the point about rejections when I've inquired about them, some seem so afraid to hurt an applicant's feelings that they beat around the bush.

I contacted a program which I thought was an easy in as they are ranked lower than the other schools I got into, and the DGS said they had made their decision, my name was on the list of applicants (um, of course it was), and that there was no way to be certain if I were admitted or not but because there were over 80 applicants (way fewer than the programs I got into which had 300+), and I should assume I didn't get admitted. Would have appreciated a straightforward answer along the lines of "we aren't offering you admission."

Hi, so are you accepted but couldn't receive a funding offer? I was accepted last year also and wait-listed for funding but couldn't get an offer at the end. I am very curious about my situation this year. I guess I should contact the graduate director.

Essentially, I deferred my acceptance for a year with the note that I was waiting for funding. NEU lost my application last year (even though the material was in on time and I'm an alumnae) and as result, didn't process my information until oh, May of last year. I got accepted, but they said they couldn't give me funding but a good idea was to defer. 

So I did. Perhaps you could say I'm on the "waitlist" for funding, but either way I'm admitted I believe! 

Not sure if this helps at all, I posted the acceptance to Northeastern. I was notified by email and there's apparently an open house on March 25. I will however most likely be declining the offer.

REALLY!? that is kinda interesting considering the head of the department just told me that they are still working out the details of the admitted students day. maybe the two are different....

REALLY!? that is kinda interesting considering the head of the department just told me that they are still working out the details of the admitted students day. maybe the two are different....

So I received an email yesterday saying that since March 25 will be the first night of Passover they are going to reschedule the admitted students day to another day late March. Good luck to everyone waiting on funding details from NEU!

Hey everyone! I applied to the sociology and criminology MA programs at UoT, sociology at Queens, and socio-legal studies at York in Ontario, Canada - has anyone heard anything from these particular programs?