2013 Acceptances/Rejections Thread

AaronM

Sooo... Any news from Rutgers? Has anyone rejected their acceptance? Has anyone from the waiting list got in/got funding?

And what's with Albany? I've seen only one acceptance at the results page...

I have another option, but really would like to close these two pages of admission process :) So any information will be very much appreciated!

Rutgers visiting day is this week, so it's possible that admitted students will start making decisions soon. 

I haven't heard anything from Albany either. 

I just heard from Albany. I was waitlisted for funding. The grad director emailed me to say that "due to the current budget situation" facing the University, they could only offer limited assistantships. It is actually not clear form the email whether I was accepted w/o funding or if they are only accepting those with funding. They said I should hear more by late March.

The MS program at Michigan made me a very competitive funding offer. Tuition, health insurance and a stipend of $2200/month. Unfortunately, I see little benefit to doing a masters program at this point. I am considering visiting though.

Anyone know when Cornell's visit day is?

Also, rejected from Sociology and Social Policy at Harvard a week and a half back. Earlier this week rejected from UChicago but offered MAPSS with 1/3 funding. Wasn't expecting to get into either, but an acceptance at Harvard would have been nice.

I know it's not uncommon to for funding information to come after the acceptance, but I have a question: Is it normal for a letter to tell you that you will receive additional info regarding orientation, registration, and funding after you accept?

I know it's not uncommon to for funding information to come after the acceptance, but I have a question: Is it normal for a letter to tell you that you will receive additional info regarding orientation, registration, and funding after you accept?

Uhh, the first two sure, but not funding! I would call and ask the department to clarify. Why would you accept without first knowing what you're getting yourself into? No school can reasonably expect you to do that. You didn't get a funding offer for even the first year?

Uhh, the first two sure, but not funding! I would call and ask the department to clarify. Why would you accept without first knowing what you're getting yourself into? No school can reasonably expect you to do that. You didn't get a funding offer for even the first year?

I have a friend who is a first year in the department and she said she didn't find out about funding until mid-April (after she had accepted). Only half of her cohort was funded. I'm pretty confused about this because as you said, I'm not inclined to accept without knowing one way or the other.

I have a friend who is a first year in the department and she said she didn't find out about funding until mid-April (after she had accepted). Only half of her cohort was funded. I'm pretty confused about this because as you said, I'm not inclined to accept without knowing one way or the other.

That's ridiculous. I would absolutely put my foot down. Anyway, I guess that's a risk you're going to have to be prepared to take. Do you have other, competitive offers?

That's ridiculous. I would absolutely put my foot down. Anyway, I guess that's a risk you're going to have to be prepared to take. Do you have other, competitive offers?

Nope. This is my only offer. :(

I'm going to email the department. It couldn't hurt.

Nope. This is my only offer. :(

I'm going to email the department. It couldn't hurt.

Bummer. I would definitely contact the department. Did you ask your friend if most students are able to find other methods of funding? For example, at the school where my partner attends they usually have need of extra readers for exams. No one likes to do it because the money isn't good, but if you were desperate it does pay... Also, I spoke with a potential POI who was discussing how I might have funding troubles. This concerned me until I discovered that what she meant was that I might not be on Fellowship for 5 years and might have to apply for TA/RA positions.

eta: you need to figure out if your tuition is paid for or not. That should make a difference.

Edited by iphi

Has anyone here not heard anything back from NYU at all? I didn't get an acceptance, but I also haven't gotten a rejection like so many people yesterday did.

I'm with you. Still no word, and of course wondering what that could possibly mean.

Bummer. I would definitely contact the department. Did you ask your friend if most students are able to find other methods of funding? For example, at the school where my partner attends they usually have need of extra readers for exams. No one likes to do it because the money isn't good, but if you were desperate it does pay... Also, I spoke with a potential POI who was discussing how I might have funding troubles. This concerned me until I discovered that what she meant was that I might not be on Fellowship for 5 years and might have to apply for TA/RA positions

eta: you need to figure out if your tuition is paid for or not. That should make a difference.

I called today and they said they will be sending out funding information later this week. That's good to hear, although I'm not happy about more waiting lol

I'm with you. Still no word, and of course wondering what that could possibly mean.

Thanks for your reply. It makes me feel better to know that I'm not the only one!

Officially rejected from Yale--tell me something I don't already know! Still waiting to hear from Cornell, which is odd, because (according to the results page, anyway) they seem to have already sent out acceptances and rejections.

Edit: For anyone who wants to know, I emailed the DGS at Cornell, who said that all offers of admission had already been sent out, but he didn't know if there was any kind of wait list (currently on sabbatical). He CC'd the graduate assistant, so hopefully I should get some closure soon.

Edited by Tahoma

Is anyone waiting to hear from Simon Fraser? I know there are some acceptances for the MA program, but I am still waiting to hear about the PhD program. I just need to hear from them to make my final decision. 

I e-mailed to the DGS last week and he said they were completing their deliberations and I should hear by early this week.

Basically wait listed at Cornell. In a group of 10 or so, and at the top of the list, but only for my stated subfield preference. So...unlikely, but not so unlikely that I'd feel comfortable withdrawing my application. Oh well, at least Yale gave me a little closure.

Sooo... Any news from Rutgers? Has anyone rejected their acceptance? Has anyone from the waiting list got in/got funding?

And what's with Albany? I've seen only one acceptance at the results page...

I have another option, but really would like to close these two pages of admission process :) So any information will be very much appreciated!

I just rejected Rutgers. Good luck!