2013 Acceptances/Rejections Thread

AaronM

What to do with lower ranked programs that offer an absolute ton of money? I want to visit and get a feel for the department (I will be in town so they aren't paying for it) but I feel bad sitting on an offer I'm unlikely to accept. It's by far the best funding offer I've gotten so far, but it's an MA program (though they have already offered to guarantee me 4 years if I decided to continue after the MA.

Congrats to the recent admits posted here, especially AMLobo (NYU) and OhGoodness (Cornell)! Way to go, everyone!

DarthVegan, you're on a roll! What a difficult decision you have ahead of you. My opinions regarding whether full -- not to mention generous! -- funding trumps program ranking is not something I feel comfortable disclosing, but I will say that I'm certain you’ll pick the program and funding package that is right for you. Also, I firmly believe that you will excel, and more, be exceptional, no matter which school you attend.  I suppose if I had one tidbit of advice it would only be to pick the program/package that allows you to become your best self and do your best work, that is, within reason of course, for every choice involves some degree of compromise.

Again, congratulations to all. :)

Just out of curiosity, what's this lower rank school that offers a ton of money?

Oklahoma. Offered me 21k guaranteed for 2 years or 4 years "should I choose to continue on in the PhD program." Both for an MA program and for cost of living in Oklahoma that is a lot of money IMO.

^ wow that's pretty awesome, congrats. When you said lower rank I thought maybe you meant some place in the 50-60 rank. Doesn't OU have rolling admissions??

Also, I think it was you who mentioned an offer from Simon Fraser? That sounds like a pretty awesome opportunity too if tey offer a decent funding package.

^ wow that's pretty awesome, congrats. When you said lower rank I thought maybe you meant some place in the 50-60 rank. Doesn't OU have rolling admissions??

Also, I think it was you who mentioned an offer from Simon Fraser? That sounds like a pretty awesome opportunity too if tey offer a decent funding package.

I don't think OU has rolling admissions. And yes Simon Fraser applied for a pretty sizable fellowship for me that has zero work requirements + the potential for an RA'ship with my top choice for an adviser. But no visit day makes it really difficult to compare. Edited by xdarthveganx

Just received an official offer of admission from Yale. And wouldn't you know, their 'Visiting Days' event is scheduled the same weekend as Northwestern's Open House! (Well played, Yale.)

If you are seriously interested in both (which I assume you are, lol), ask about arranging to visit on an alternate date for whichever you feel more comfortable missing the "actual" event.  I'm doing that for one of my programs, and I'm arranging meetings with grad students and professors while I'm there and sitting in on a seminar.  They are still reimbursing my visit and have been very helpful in making sure I get the most out of my visit.

Just received an official offer of admission from Yale. And wouldn't you know, their 'Visiting Days' event is scheduled the same weekend as Northwestern's Open House! (Well played, Yale.)

Congrats! That's very exciting for you. I have a similar problem with conflicting visiting days, and they're both in the middle of the week. Fortunately, one involves 3 days of stuff, so I'll just go to some of it.

(Meanwhile, I figure it'll just be a day or two before I can assume that no good news is coming from Yale. Let the tension begin!)

hey oilandvinegar, wanna trade acceptances? i'll show up to UMass and you can go to Brandeis. sound fair? they'll never know the difference.

Haha, I've got to hold on to the Amherst acceptance but I'd happily trade admit ratios w/ you! You're knocking it out of the park! Are you still waiting to hear from Amherst?

Haha, I've got to hold on to the Amherst acceptance but I'd happily trade admit ratios w/ you! You're knocking it out of the park! Are you still waiting to hear from Amherst?

Mmhm, both UMass and Yale have started notifying, but I haven't heard a peep - so I'm gonna assume that the ship has sailed for those schools. I think I'll start calling rejection letters "closure" too. At this point, I think it's more accurate, since I'm quite pleased with the offers I have in hand. 

And congrats on your list - Michigan's an awesome place to be.

Did anyone else apply to Loyola in Chicago? I just emailed the director and she informed me the adcom will be making final decisions tomorrow - hopefully that means notifications on Friday.

I applied. I hadn't heard anything from them but I assumed I wouldn't till March based on the results page from previous year. Thanks for the info about the adcom meeting! I haven't heard from any schools since I got a couple acceptances three weeks ago and it's been driving me nuttttts.

Turns out I was mistaken. Both Northwestern and Yale are holding their open houses the same week, but NU's is Wed/Thurs and Yale's is Fri/Sat. Attending both, though difficult, is within the realm of possibility. Will see.  In any case, thank you for that very helpful suggestion, AMLobo! I may have to make similar arrangements.

Congrats, Angulimala, on the Notre Dame acceptance! ND has a wonderful program. In fact, it was one of the three sociology programs to which I applied. Alas, ND did not accept me, but I am nevertheless pleased with the results of my application efforts. If by chance your research is cultural, are you considering working with Lyn Spillman?

Edited by La_Di_Da