2013 Acceptances/Rejections Thread

AaronM

NYU acceptance.

If someone could please claim it and give us more info about how formal that sounded.

It says email on the 24th Feb... now, it's the 24th here in Europe and it's only been the 24th in NY for 6hrs so unless the professor is up at 6am Sunday morning, which I highly doubt, then something isn't quite right or they've filled it in wrong.

No doubt it's true that they got an email though so I guess for the rest of us we need to hope that they decided really late Friday and someone got an email but they haven't told everyone yet...

AT LEAST, THAT'S WHAT I'M CLINGING TO!!!

WHAT'S YOUR FAVOURITE DENIAL STRATEGY?!!!

Dood, it's funny because until around 15pm (European time) it feels like we are the only ones on this forum. I hate time zones, I'd rather wake up when the day in the US is over, knowing that whatever decisions have been made I can just spend the rest of my day in peace.

Btw, my favorite denial strategy is "If it ain't claimed it ain't true".

Edited by RandomDood

I'll claim the NYU email. I'm usually not posting here, but folks seem to appreciate the update. It was pretty informal from a POI within the department... just relaying news about the acceptance and asking for a phone conversation during the week. The email did arrive at night, even adjusting for time zone differences. My guess is that they've starting making decisions and will contact applicants over the coming days. 

I'll claim the NYU email. I'm usually not posting here, but folks seem to appreciate the update. It was pretty informal from a POI within the department... just relaying news about the acceptance and asking for a phone conversation during the week. The email did arrive at night, even adjusting for time zone differences. My guess is that they've starting making decisions and will contact applicants over the coming days. 

Thank you for the info, much appreciated...and congratulations, NYU has a fantastic department, it is (was) probably my top choice :-)

If it was an "informal" email maybe there's still hope...or maybe not.

Edited by RandomDood

They've probably decided Friday and each POI will contact his/her acceptances individually... so I'm going to relax, accept it and stop worrying if I hear nothing by the end of Tuesday!

Of course, until then I'll be a nervous wreck but at least the end is in sight.

Anybody else apply to the Sociomedical Sciences program at Columbia? Any word?

I applied to SMS at Columbia--haven't heard anything personally but I think I saw on the results search that there were interviews earlier this month.

I applied to SMS at Columbia--haven't heard anything personally but I think I saw on the results search that there were interviews earlier this month.

I saw that one of those specifically listed the psychology subfield and I'm wondering if the other two were for psych as well. Since interviews are standard for psych programs and not so much for sociology, yes?

Perhaps this is just another denial tactic...

So is UCLA seriously not gonna give us a formal rejection notice?? I've heard nothing from them and it seems really late now.

Some schools have unofficial wait lists. I know that UCI has said that they "may or may not" have a 2nd and 3rd wave of acceptances. Might be the case with UCLA or they may just be really slow at sending out rejections. 

Minnesota was my first application and they were the first of the schools I applied to (and maybe the first sociology program in general) to send out acceptances, and as far as I know they still haven't sent out rejections.  Part of me wants to send them and email and withdraw my name from consideration despite the fact that I'm 99.9% sure it's a rejection... just to have that satisfaction.

Minnesota was my first application and they were the first of the schools I applied to (and maybe the first sociology program in general) to send out acceptances, and as far as I know they still haven't sent out rejections.  Part of me wants to send them and email and withdraw my name from consideration despite the fact that I'm 99.9% sure it's a rejection... just to have that satisfaction.

Haha, I like this idea a lot. 

Has anyone been officially rejected from Minnesota or contacted the department to see if they have been wait-listed? I'm in a similar situation. 

Has anyone been officially rejected from Minnesota or contacted the department to see if they have been wait-listed? I'm in a similar situation. 

I don't think anyone has been officially rejected yet, but I'm not sure if anyone has contacted the department.  I thought I remembered some people posting that they had been waitlisted though.

Yeah I haven't been "officially" rejected yet, but since people have posted official wait-lists I am not investing too much hope into the idea of being accepted.  Sorry for a negative opinion, I just try to be as realistic as possible with this process, no need to create any extra distress when it could be avoided.