2013 Acceptances/Rejections Thread

AaronM

I know I have posted something similar before -- but is it possible that Columbia is done with sending out their letters of acceptance? When I spoke to the Columbia admissions more than a week ago, they said they were still working on the apps, but it's been almost two weeks now since the first acceptance post on the forum's results page. I am slowly losing hope... :(

Columbia is notorious for dragging out the process.  I know they've already accepted a few people, but they tend to make decisions through March and April...

Anyone know the deal with Harvard?  Not that I'm obsessing, but, if I were, I'd say that today would be about the day that they would start sending out their letters of intent ... just based on last year's dates, of course.  :)

But there was that giant snowstorm in Boston...

May I ask -- did you get an interview with Harvard? According to the Results page it seems like in the past years, some people were interviewed before they received the acceptance letters. I too, haven't heard anything from them yet.

May I ask -- did you get an interview with Harvard? According to the Results page it seems like in the past years, some people were interviewed before they received the acceptance letters. I too, haven't heard anything from them yet.

I haven't heard a word.  I think several New England-based schools are going to be delayed this year because of that snowstorm, which did, legitimately, close down several schools for up to an entire week.  That definitely delayed the process.

Another BU waitlist.. thats 3... Did NO ONE get IN?!?! Or maybe they're waitlisting first :unsure:

They have to be waitlisting first if these are true, in my opinion. To me, it's so very improbable that we wouldn't have seen at least one acceptance by now if they have given them out.

Edited by Willows

So how obnoxious is it /when is it ok to email the BU department administrator (not grad director) asking when they generally expect acceptances to go out?  :ph34r:  

haha I won't say I haven't considered it... I think next week is safe.

I was accepted into Marshall's terminal M.A. program today. Funding details will follow soon. 

For folks with only a B.A. but considering Ph.D. programs eventually (or reeling from rejections, as mine have started so far), this could be a good program to consider. It offers a degree minor in anthropology and/or an official degree emphasis on organization and institutions; stratification and diversity; demography, health, and human environments; or social problems and collective behavior. It's also possible to earn a graduate certificate in Women's Studies alongside the degree even though it's just a terminal M.A.  

I understand why people would loathe living in southern WV (I'm a WV resident so I'm a little biased) but the program has an excellent doctoral program placement rate, including top 10 schools and Ivy's. There is ample funding as well (GA's, TA's, RA's, etc.). 

I know most folks on this forum are considering top-notch institutions, but sometimes less-than-preferred detours are necessary to achieve this goal. At least I know I won't go into acres of debt after this degree if I choose to attend (unsurprisingly, southern WV is a cheap place to live but Huntington is supposed to be a cool college town). 

Has anyone contacted/ received notification from University of Southern California? Their deadline was early Dec. and it looks like they reported by now last year.

Im still waiting on 4 schools and I'm moving past anxious:-/

Edited by akcrabtr

I was accepted into Marshall's terminal M.A. program today. Funding details will follow soon. 

For folks with only a B.A. but considering Ph.D. programs eventually (or reeling from rejections, as mine have started so far), this could be a good program to consider. It offers a degree minor in anthropology and/or an official degree emphasis on organization and institutions; stratification and diversity; demography, health, and human environments; or social problems and collective behavior. It's also possible to earn a graduate certificate in Women's Studies alongside the degree even though it's just a terminal M.A.  

I understand why people would loathe living in southern WV (I'm a WV resident so I'm a little biased) but the program has an excellent doctoral program placement rate, including top 10 schools and Ivy's. There is ample funding as well (GA's, TA's, RA's, etc.). 

I know most folks on this forum are considering top-notch institutions, but sometimes less-than-preferred detours are necessary to achieve this goal. At least I know I won't go into acres of debt after this degree if I choose to attend (unsurprisingly, southern WV is a cheap place to live but Huntington is supposed to be a cool college town). 

I actually know someone in that program and she seems to like it, though I don't know her well and haven't discussed it in detail with her.  But I will say this, if you can go to a funded MA program, I think it can great learning opportunity and a great way to bulk up your CV and focus your research agenda.  However, just know that this means you'll likely have to take all of the core classes twice, since your PhD institution will likely want you to take those courses in their program, and it will generally take you a year or 2 longer to eventually get your PhD because of this.  Additionally, you have to go through this terrible process of applying to schools twice.

I am finishing up my MA at a ranked (not very highly) PhD granting university that separates the 2 degrees, and I just got offered a fellowship at a top-20 university with a great fit.  That would have never happened 2 years ago because I just wasn't a very strong applicant.

Has anyone contacted/ received notification from University of Southern California? Their deadline was early Dec. and it looks like they reported by now last year.

I called them a few weeks ago and they said they would be making decisions "in late February" and that they would be admitting 3-7 people...

3-7?  What happens if the 3 students they choose to admit don't matriculate?  They have a cohort of 0?

I wonder the same thing. I guess they meant they want a cohort of 3-7, so they'll probably accept about 10... 

I called them a few weeks ago and they said they would be making decisions "in late February" and that they would be admitting 3-7 people...
Thank you, that's good to know. Hopefully we will get word soon then.

I'll claim one for Vandy.

May I ask how you were notified? For instant was it a POI or standard department notification?

Congratulations!

Edited by akcrabtr

May I ask how you were notified? For instant was it a POI or standard department notification?

Congratulations!

I got a phone call from the DGS. And thanks :)

Edited by blixx008

3-7?  What happens if the 3 students they choose to admit don't matriculate?  They have a cohort of 0?

I know a program (not USC, but one broadly comparable) fairly well where they want a cohort of 2 or 3 graduate each year.  They generally only admit 2-4 at a time, and then work down the waitlist (the list is divided by subfield, so let's say the program is good at A, B, C, if they accept students from A, C and the one from A declines, they're going to be looking at people from A, B, but they might not let in anyone from C.  It's something like that).  The idea is that they only admit students who are very good matches for them, and in general, they seem to have a pretty good yield, so even though they're far out of the top 25, they don't seem to have to really "work their waitlist" that much--or at least that's the sense I get from it (I am not in this program, I'm just familiar with it).  So let's say USC wants a cohort of 3, they admit three, and then if no one declines, they admit more off the waitlist, but because people who applied there want to go there (and they have experience and a sense of who will come and what other offers people have) they probably won't have to admit that many from their formal or informal waitlists, a maximum of four they're estimating.  Judging from the numbers they gave, it seems like they probably want a cohort of 2 to 4. It's a small program, though, at a private university that isn't dying for TA labor.  They don't need warm bodies to fill into classrooms, they're honestly just looking for the best matches with the program.

Just to be clear: this is a guess of what USC is doing based on what I know about admission at a similarly situated program. 

Edited by jacib