2013 Acceptances/Rejections Thread

AaronM

So I had a visit weekend for a non-soc department this past weekend. I'm mildly freaking out cause they haven't reached out to us yet. I know Emory Soc had their visit day and sent out notifications on Monday. But here I am on Wednesday still without word. What's the regular wait time after an interview/visit? I had a phone interview on Super Bowl sunday but knew that one would be 1-2 weeks.

I went to a non-soc visit last weekend that said they'd notify people in early March, so it can take longer.

Hello all, I stumbled upon this most excellent forum recently and want to jump in. Does anyone know if UCSD is still finalizing decisions? I am hoping to hear something positive tomorrow because they are a top choice of mine...

Also, is there anyone who has been recently accepted into Indiana but likely to rescind their offer?  If so, could you kindly let me know.  I'd like to think I am very close based on a conversation with the DGS.

Hello all, I stumbled upon this most excellent forum recently and want to jump in. Does anyone know if UCSD is still finalizing decisions? I am hoping to hear something positive tomorrow because they are a top choice of mine...

Also, is there anyone who has been recently accepted into Indiana but likely to rescind their offer?  If so, could you kindly let me know.  I'd like to think I am very close based on a conversation with the DGS.

UCSD is done with first wave acceptances, however it seems they expect to pull some off the wait-list. I emailed the graduate director to get my status. 

UCSD is done with first wave acceptances, however it seems they expect to pull some off the wait-list. I emailed the graduate director to get my status.

Did you receive an 'original' email to that effect or did you have to contact the DGS?

Thanks for the update lydialiu! Good luck to you too!

"Recommendation for admission" from UCSD.  Funding TBD.

Just a heads-up, most people get into SD with similar statuses. Funding at SD has been abysmal for the last couple of years (sources have told). Keep your ears open for "university-based" or "school-based" merit fellowships. You don't want to go into second year with nothing. 

But... I'm sure you've heard!!!

Does anyone have official (or most likely unofficial) news from NYU?

I woke up with a bad feeling in my guts.

I haven't heard anything from NYU either, and also nothing from Columbia. It looks like Columbia is at least done with sending out their first wave of admits though, so I am not too happy that I didn't get anything from them yet.

Oh, by the way, I forgot to tell yall, I called Columbia the other day, they said they already sent out some acceptances but they "might" send out other acceptances until mid March. When I asked if that was for the PhD program (not for their Masters, since jacib mentioned that possibility), they said it was true for PhD offers too.

Now, maybe that was just a standard answer, or the guy just didn't want to break my delicate heart, but that's what he said.

Has anyone been formally rejected from Minnesota yet? I know many folks have reported acceptances - and congratulations to them! - but my on-line application status still says "awaiting program decision." If applicants have been rejected, then perhaps I'm on a wait-list; however, if no one has been rejected yet, then perhaps they have just yet to notify their rejections of their status. 

Yeah I am in the same boat.^^^  I think it is safe to say we are rejected.  But that is just my opinion.  I believe around a "cohorts" worth of people have posted acceptances on this website, let alone people who were accepted and do not post on here.

Edit: I am talking about Minnesota BTW

Edited by Angulimala

Yeah I am in the same boat.^^^  I think it is safe to say we are rejected.  But that is just my opinion.  I believe around a "cohorts" worth of people have posted acceptances on this website, let alone people who were accepted and do not post on here.

Edit: I am talking about Minnesota BTW

I figure we would have been contacted by a DGS or POI by now if we were on an official wait-list. The best programs obviously get more qualified applicants than they can admit, so they like to keep their back-ups in the loop in case they might be admitted at a later date. However, many people on this forum who have reported Minnesota acceptances have also reported acceptances to other top-notch programs. Whether they are admitted to two or ten schools, an applicant can only choose one. That has the possibility of opening up spaces for other students later on. It's far too early before the April 15th decision deadline for Minnesota to have received refusals from applicants they offered admission. I've yet to hear anything at all from most the schools I applied to (some explain on their departmental website how they don't notify until March anyway), so I guess we just have to keep waiting.

The next two months will be brutal, right?

Yeah it is going to be a long two months.  The only schools I have heard any news from are Notre Dame and Baylor and they both have interviews.  While ND is my top choice and Baylor one of my top choices, just the fact that they might be my only hope right now makes those interview very very stressful.  It would be so nice if I had at least one acceptance so that I know if I totally bomb the interviews all hope is not lost.

Yeah it is going to be a long two months. The only schools I have heard any news from are Notre Dame and Baylor and they both have interviews. While ND is my top choice and Baylor one of my top choices, just the fact that they might be my only hope right now makes those interview very very stressful. It would be so nice if I had at least one acceptance so that I know if I totally bomb the interviews all hope is not lost.

Hey this can be a good thing especially if the place you're interviewing at is your top choice. Everybody at the interview is going to be stressed regardless of whether they've heard back from other places or not. So you can go there with the intention of acing it. Best of luck.