2013 Acceptances/Rejections Thread

AaronM

I thought SFU MA programs were only one year? I knew someone in IR there and that was the case for her. Might be another point worth considering - do you really want to be back in the same position applying for PhDs this time next year?

On the other hand, Vancouver is an amazing city that I would highly recommend to anyone!

It's a 2 year program. 

Here is the sample timeline: http://www.socanth.sfu.ca/documents/doc/Sample_Timeline_for_MA_Program.pdf

My hesitance in accepting an offer from a MA program is exactly the issue you're describing. I would also likely want to strengthen my GRE quant score before my next application cycle, but seeing as it is a two year program, I would have time to do that if need be. I'm not sure what to do, and am still leaning towards the offer from Oregon at this point. However, what I told Simon Fraser was that I would be unable to seriously consider the offer without comprable funding, which is in fact, true. I also still have 8 programs that have yet to send out anything (with the exception of the lone acceptance from UCSD). I will be visiting as many programs as possible in order to make an educated decision. I also need to see if Oregon will up their offer to a .49 FTE which would provide funding comprable to my offer from Oklahoma and Simon Fraser. I also need to think long and hard about the issue of job placement. While Richard York and John Bellamy-Foster are indeed very well known, Oregon's recent placements leave a bit to be desired. Now I know why some people feel this part of the process is the most difficult. 

Edited by xdarthveganx

Has anyone heard anything from Duke (Ph.D./sociology)? Looking at the dates for last year's first Duke acceptances, it seems strange that no one has heard/posted anything.

Naught.  I even e-mailed them on friday to see whether they could help to understand whether they had sent out anything or not but my inbox seems only to be for work assignments and no-thank-you letters.

I also have not heard anything from Duke. There is however a waitlist posted on the Results page.

I just noticed that, too. I checked the applicant status page and it still shows 'decision not ready'...

I also logged into the application page and it looks the same as the day I submitted my application.

Hmmm...

I just noticed that, too. I checked the applicant status page and it still shows 'decision not ready'...

I also logged into the application page and it looks the same as the day I submitted my application.

Hmmm...

Trolls a-plenty in these parts.  Until someone steps forward and claims it; stay calm and ignore. 

And cheer up to the Madison rejects. 

Edited by ohgoodness

Got accepted to Temple via mail this weekend. Anyone else? No word on funding.

Congrats! Haven't heard anything, and my application status online is still "complete ready for review." You're the third acceptance I've heard of, there are 2 others listed on the results page.

Got accepted to Temple via mail this weekend. Anyone else? No word on funding.

I noticed my application status changed to accepted on Tuesday and I finally couldn't take it anymore and emailed the grad director on Friday. He said they're still trying to figure out the funding situation and will then get back with more information. 

Naught.  I even e-mailed them on friday to see whether they could help to understand whether they had sent out anything or not but my inbox seems only to be for work assignments and no-thank-you letters.

Ever hear from Duke?

Am I the only person who applied to UCSD? Is the program that bad?! I feel like I missed a memo.

I did too and it's one of my top choices. I was hoping for an acceptance email this morning and instead I got a Wisconsin rejection haha. 

One concern is that the faculty member I have the greatest fit with is on sabbatical next year. 

Edited by xdarthveganx

I did too and it's one of my top choices. I was hoping for an acceptance email this morning and instead I got a Wisconsin rejection haha. 

One concern is that the faculty member I have the greatest fit with is on sabbatical next year. 

Sorry about Wisconsin. Did you call UCSD and ask?