Berkeley EECS PhD

EngiNerd-12

I also applied, I'm still waiting as well. I didn't know UC Berkeley EECS did interviews though. Well I'm living in southamerica, so I don't know if they usually send out interviews to people abroad, or if they do phone interviews instead.

I got an informal email from POI last week, and chat with him 3 days ago thru phone. He said "quite likely to be admitted," and we mostly talked about scholarship, interesting projects, etc.. very informal talk.

btw, I applied for cs.

I also applied, I'm still waiting as well. I didn't know UC Berkeley EECS did interviews though. Well I'm living in southamerica, so I don't know if they usually send out interviews to people abroad, or if they do phone interviews instead.

I'm abroad as well, so they set up a Skype interview after notifying me through email...

not clear if these interviews are for ee or cs?

Mine was for EE... 

I got an informal email from POI last week, and chat with him 3 days ago thru phone. He said "quite likely to be admitted," and we mostly talked about scholarship, interesting projects, etc.. very informal talk.

btw, I applied for cs.

I was wondering about your research experiences gre scores and gpa. Cause I really want to go to Berkeley. I haven't heard anything yet. And I'm an international student. Thanks

Hey Any idea how is the selection after the interview at EECS Berkeley. I applied for PhD in EE. I was interviewed for about an hour or so. It was quite detailed and very exhausting at last. 

I have heard that they do the majority of capping after the interviews. Like they interview 10 and select 2. Any one has any idea about this? Please do share. 

Regards

Nick

Does anyone know if for CS, Berkeley accepts people that don't get interviewed?  And do most CS schools interview?  I had no idea that interviews were a thing until I cam on gradcafe.  None of the websites seem to mention them.

Does anyone know if for CS, Berkeley accepts people that don't get interviewed?  And do most CS schools interview?  I had no idea that interviews were a thing until I cam on gradcafe.  None of the websites seem to mention them.

warbrain, people do get admitted without interview! I think interview is for people whom they are not quite sure about. I have two friends in EECS at Berkeley who got fellowship without even being interviewed! 

warbrain, people do get admitted without interview! I think interview is for people whom they are not quite sure about. I have two friends in EECS at Berkeley who got fellowship without even being interviewed! 

Really? I assumed they are not interested because I haven't heard anything back yet. At least we didn't get rejections yet. All we can do at this point is wait and see and hope for the best :-)

Well for the past 2 years, the results on this website indicate that they send out acceptances on Feb 7th - Feb 9th. It doesn't look like there have been many interviews in the past either, so I'd assume that they've made initial selections and are interviewing the people who are on the edge of the cutoff right now, after which time the committee will review whether they have made the right decisions and then send out letters. That's just my take though.

Very few schools have made engineering/CS decisions as of yet, so I think it's the norm to not have heard anything back from any schools at this point if you applied to those fields. Usually early acceptances are given to superstars or people that look good enough but will not be offered funding. I got accepted to Georgia tech for a Ph.D 10 days after sending in my application, but I'm pretty sure I was only accepted that early because they didn't have funding for people applying to robotics programs, and that I would need to find an adviser to get myself an RA or TA position - hence the easy decision to admit me early.

Long story short: don't stress now. Wait until Feb 10th-15th. If nothing comes in the mail and you haven't gotten a call or email then start stressing :)

Well for the past 2 years, the results on this website indicate that they send out acceptances on Feb 7th - Feb 9th. It doesn't look like there have been many interviews in the past either, so I'd assume that they've made initial selections and are interviewing the people who are on the edge of the cutoff right now, after which time the committee will review whether they have made the right decisions and then send out letters. That's just my take though.

Very few schools have made engineering/CS decisions as of yet, so I think it's the norm to not have heard anything back from any schools at this point if you applied to those fields. Usually early acceptances are given to superstars or people that look good enough but will not be offered funding. I got accepted to Georgia tech for a Ph.D 10 days after sending in my application, but I'm pretty sure I was only accepted that early because they didn't have funding for people applying to robotics programs, and that I would need to find an adviser to get myself an RA or TA position - hence the easy decision to admit me early.

Long story short: don't stress now. Wait until Feb 10th-15th. If nothing comes in the mail and you haven't gotten a call or email then start stressing :)

i too feel the same about interview as zecone13 said. But i still wonder. its like mid-Jan and they have interviewed me and one more student on this forum. This means if we are on edge they would have already selected their other top students. It hard to believe this as the review process started on 7th Jan. 

My projection is that the Univ have divide students in categories like highly desirable, desirable, risky etc. I am quite sure about of this practice and my friend at UCB who helps admission committee also confirmed it. 

Having said that all the results are announced together by first-second week of Feb.

What i don;t know is the percentage of student they select from the one that they have interviewed? Its kind of tricky. If any one know about it please do share.

@eio104 2+ yr research, 1 pub as co author (3 men team including prof), and 1 pub as co author pending in SCI conf + received major media coverage.

No MS, undergrad in top cs school, 3.8 ish gpa, have possibly the best LOR as an undergrad. SOP that I prepared for over a year, and internship + full time experience in top software companies.

Meh GRE, especialy horrible aw, since the percentile was... I thought it was reversed lol.

I think it was ok since I am international too.

good luck!

@eio104 2+ yr research, 1 pub as co author (3 men team including prof), and 1 pub as co author pending in SCI conf + received major media coverage.

No MS, undergrad in top cs school, 3.8 ish gpa, have possibly the best LOR as an undergrad. SOP that I prepared for over a year, and internship + full time experience in top software companies.

Meh GRE, especialy horrible aw, since the percentile was... I thought it was reversed lol.

I think it was ok since I am international too.

good luck!

Nice, what area in CS are you in?

This year, we faculty were instructed that we must interview everyone we admit. This is a change from last year's policy. The new policy is very likely to continue into the future.

Jonathan Shewchuk

Associate Professor

CS Division

UC Berkeley

The comment was from the 2011 admission season... you can find it here 

I wish I knew what these interviews meant - I feel like they are giving me false hope!

Also, I think anything that applies to EE applies to CS - Berkeley profs seem to see it as an advantage that both majors are housed under the same roof, and I agree.