Berkeley EECS PhD

EngiNerd-12

Don't fret!  Baylor and UCLA are AWESOME!  Esp in biology!

Thanks Barrett! You are right... Baylor and UCLA are great for biological sciences! I'm just not sure what the likelihood of getting in after an interview is, and maybe that's why I'm worried.

Thanks Barrett! You are right... Baylor and UCLA are great for biological sciences! I'm just not sure what the likelihood of getting in after an interview is, and maybe that's why I'm worried.

Amal, it all depends on the type of interview you had. If your interview was done by the prof who is from your area of interest or to the area you have applied then you can surmise that he is calling you for funding consideration. If you are an exceptional student you may receive fellowship otherwise the prof who interviewed you will fund you through RA/TA. However, if your interview was in general like what are your interest? (funny question to ask to a prospective grad student), or on basic undergraduate subjects then it is very likely that you are being considered for admission as your application is just on the verge. 

This are some hand waving facts about interview process which I collected from my friends who serve on admission committee at UCB and Stan. As you are interviewed from two exceptional research organization, you should not be too worried. Just hope for the best !!! 

Regards,

Nick

• 2 weeks later...

By the way guys, I spoke to an admission admin and he said that interviews are not necessarily part of the process. Some professors choose to contact students they are interested in working with, but this is an informal process and is up to the professor. 

Acceptance notifications are typically sent out early-mid February (so if we don't hear back by mid February, we should just accept that we did not make the cut).

Best of luck to every one!!

By the way guys, I spoke to an admission admin and he said that interviews are not necessarily part of the process. Some professors choose to contact students they are interested in working with, but this is an informal process and is up to the professor. 

Acceptance notifications are typically sent out early-mid February (so if we don't hear back by mid February, we should just accept that we did not make the cut).

Best of luck to every one!!

This is indeed a useful piece of information. Thanks for sharing it .... 

Though mid-feb is when most of the berkeley admits decisions are posted, i really don't think it's a fixed date.... Last yr my friend received an admit by 27th Feb ... The dynamics of PhD admit also has to do with funding ... if you are really lucky and some prof gets his/her (mostly his) project approval than he might pick few more students from the pile of applications ... Further, interviews are also conducted to rank students for fellowship esp. in EE.

I am hopeful we all will hear from berkeley soon. More importantly positive :) ...

By the way, last month I have spent a considerable amount of time waiting and worrying for admits. I have learned that the best way is to just forget about them and move on with your routine life. Anyway nothing can be changed any more at least not this year. 

I did (MS/PhD track), and didn't hear anything from UCB yet :(

:( me too. What are your research interests and what is your profile. I myself am interested in cooperative control, game theory, decentralized optimization, hybrid systems, and reachability computations.

I applied for robotics/adaptive control/computer vision. Did not hear yesterday, so hopefully they'll release the remainder today or Monday. I think our interest lie more on the side of computer science, when most of the acceptances yesterday looked like they were EE side.

I had an interview on the 13th of January and the professor told me that I would hear back in about two weeks or a little more. I haven't heard back anything yet...Should I email him? Thanks!

it will not help you ! I did the same thing but the prof told he cannot reveal the admit information ... i would suggest you to wait till monday .. i think, they are offering admits with increase order of rank ... you can see now admits are offered with financial support ... i think by monday we might hear admits with full fellowship support ... so release of admit on monday is still on the table ... good luck ! 

it will not help you ! I did the same thing but the prof told he cannot reveal the admit information ... i would suggest you to wait till monday .. i think, they are offering admits with increase order of rank ... you can see now admits are offered with financial support ... i think by monday we might hear admits with full fellowship support ... so release of admit on monday is still on the table ... good luck ! 

Thanks Nick. It is strange because in the phone the professor sounded very positive and he also said he believed Berkeley would be a good fit for me...and I guess he wouldn't have said that I would hear back in about two weeks if it was for a rejection since those are sent out much later...what do you think?

Thanks Nick. It is strange because in the phone the professor sounded very positive and he also said he believed Berkeley would be a good fit for me...and I guess he wouldn't have said that I would hear back in about two weeks if it was for a rejection since those are sent out much later...what do you think?

I think you have a point. I feel there will be more results out, as typically (2010-2012) UCB took 3 working days to report their results. So don't loose hope you can still hear from UCB on Monday. Have u applied to any place other than UCB? Also do not rely on "Appl Status". I have received an admit email but still my status is not yet changed ... I wish best results for you ..Good luck!

I think you have a point. I feel there will be more results out, as typically (2010-2012) UCB took 3 working days to report their results. So don't loose hope you can still hear from UCB on Monday. Have u applied to any place other than UCB? Also do not rely on "Appl Status". I have received an admit email but still my status is not yet changed ... I wish best results for you ..Good luck!

I have applied to CMU, MIT, Stanford and Princeton as well, for a statistical machine learning PhD. I have already been admitted to CMU with a full fellowship, but Berkeley is my top choice and that's why I'm worried. Thanks for giving me hope! I hope I will hear good news from UCB on Monday as you suggest I might!

I have applied to CMU, MIT, Stanford and Princeton as well, for a statistical machine learning PhD. I have already been admitted to CMU with a full fellowship, but Berkeley is my top choice and that's why I'm worried. Thanks for giving me hope! I hope I will hear good news from UCB on Monday as you suggest I might!

Good luck for Monday! In any case, CMU is great place in ML(quite a spread of topics). Out of curiosity, did you apply to any school in europe?   

Good luck for Monday! In any case, CMU is great place in ML(quite a spread of topics). Out of curiosity, did you apply to any school in europe?   

Thank you! Actually no I haven't; I want to go the USA, since I have been in the UK for the past four years!