Berkeley EECS PhD

EngiNerd-12

still no response, i think Berkeley dream is over :(

Of course it's over. It was over last week on 9th. They send 99% of their offers on 7th and 8th

Those who didn't receive admission will receive the rejection letter in March.

Edited by Radian

Of course it's over. It was over last week on 9th. They send 99% of their offers on 7th and 8th

Those who didn't receive admission will receive the rejection letter in March.

I dont understand why they just send the rejections now ...

At least then I can move on, instead foolishly hoping for a tiny chance of still getting admitted!

I would like to know what the deficiences are, so that I can start making future plans. 

Edited by NithinG

I dont understand why they just send the rejections now ...

At least then I can move on, instead foolishly hoping for a tiny chance of still getting admitted!

I would like to know what the deficiences are, so that I can start making future plans. 

The rejection emails are mostly generic one that even don't contain applicant's name on them. So they will not be really helpful in letting you know the problem.

and most of the time there is no problem ! too many applicants, limited seats, blah blah blah ...

and about the part why they don't send the rejections in the first place, I agree that that's foolish !

especially for a school which sends 99% of offers in one place !

Still "submitted" for me too, but honestly, at this point, I think we should accept the fact that it's ultimately a rejection :/

Yes. I haven't seen a waitlisted thing for berkeley. The fact is, they usually offer more than their available seats. and in worst case scenario if all decide to attend, they have so many tools like the qualifying to get rid of their unwanted students.

Yes. I haven't seen a waitlisted thing for berkeley. The fact is, they usually offer more than their available seats. and in worst case scenario if all decide to attend, they have so many tools like the qualifying to get rid of their unwanted students.

What u mention here might be true for Stanford but certainly not for Berkeley... I just figured out that the Quals in EECS are toughest in Stan, MIT and UCB in that order .. Stanford gives 3 quarter fellowship and not multi-year fellowship just because it flushes out many students in quals ... its a private and hence a mean college ... So guys having a choice between UCB and Stan should consider the cash factor too .. 

What u mention here might be true for Stanford but certainly not for Berkeley... I just figured out that the Quals in EECS are toughest in Stan, MIT and UCB in that order .. Stanford gives 3 quarter fellowship and not multi-year fellowship just because it flushes out many students in quals ... its a private and hence a mean college ... So guys having a choice between UCB and Stan should consider the cash factor too .. 

Nick, first of all congrats on your great offers! What exactly do you mean by the cash factor between UCB and Stanford? I've been offered admission funding for CS at both places. But it seems to me they pay roughly the same and living at both places is freakin expensive...

How did you figure out that the quals are so hard at these places? Reading through the requirements Stanford sounded okay (although I haven't talked to students about it, yet). Also, I think Stanford offered 3 years of funding in the letter.

Nick, first of all congrats on your great offers! What exactly do you mean by the cash factor between UCB and Stanford? I've been offered admission funding for CS at both places. But it seems to me they pay roughly the same and living at both places is freakin expensive...

How did you figure out that the quals are so hard at these places? Reading through the requirements Stanford sounded okay (although I haven't talked to students about it, yet). Also, I think Stanford offered 3 years of funding in the letter.

Hi schummelpliz sorry there was a typo in my last post. I meant the qual factor. Quals at Stanford are really hard. A year back I have been to Dept of EE Stanford for a few weeks. Which sub-topic in CS are you interested in? I have a wage idea that for CS Stanford is far more superior. Just look at the profiles of the CS faculties at Stanford. Quals at UCB are very practical and they check whether you can do PhD or not ..

However, at Stanford scene is different .. quals is given in front of 10 different faculties which examine you on different subjects ... during quals seasons you can feel the tension in air on stanford campus ... it is that serious ... you can check the stats for ee here http://ee.stanford.edu/phd/quals/stats

first timers pass rate is 59% :) ... also in certain cases prof takes the responsibility of student even if he/she fails quals .. those are appeals .. to cut long story short, choose Stan if the faculty there is better than UCB else if equal go for UCB ... let me know if i can be of any help ... i would be happy to share what i know ! 

Please note that this is my personal opinion. I read somewhere that one cannot go wrong while choosing one of Stan, UCB or MIT. 

Cheers,

Nick

Hi schummelpliz sorry there was a typo in my last post. I meant the qual factor. Quals at Stanford are really hard. A year back I have been to Dept of EE Stanford for a few weeks. Which sub-topic in CS are you interested in? I have a wage idea that for CS Stanford is far more superior. Just look at the profiles of the CS faculties at Stanford. Quals at UCB are very practical and they check whether you can do PhD or not ..

However, at Stanford scene is different .. quals is given in front of 10 different faculties which examine you on different subjects ... during quals seasons you can feel the tension in air on stanford campus ... it is that serious ... you can check the stats for ee here http://ee.stanford.edu/phd/quals/stats

first timers pass rate is 59% :) ... also in certain cases prof takes the responsibility of student even if he/she fails quals .. those are appeals .. to cut long story short, choose Stan if the faculty there is better than UCB else if equal go for UCB ... let me know if i can be of any help ... i would be happy to share what i know ! 

Please note that this is my personal opinion. I read somewhere that one cannot go wrong while choosing one of Stan, UCB or MIT. 

Cheers,

Nick

Thanks for the comprehensive reply Nick! I'm going into the direction of social media/network analysis, multimedia information retrieval, applications of machine learning, recommender systems etc. This might be the relevant qual for me at Stanford: http://infolab.stanford.edu/db_pages/infoqual.html . It doesn't look too bad (knowing ~20 papers instead of ~40 book chapters at Berkeley).

Your passing rates look crazy! I haven't seen such statistics for CS at UCB or Stanford but I will ask at the visit weekend.

According to people (on the results page, somewhere in the forums too), Berkeley's EECS sent out effectively all of its offers already, so the rest of us be getting the bad news.

Congrats Nick, you're clearly done something right :)

@ Jema and others who had interviews, did you hear back from your professor about whether all EE admits have been sent out ? Has anyone else contacted the department/profs who took interviews ? WHy would they take so long to send us clear rejects :(

@Nick PhD EE.. Congrats on your selections!! Are you from Communications or Circuits Stream in EE?? I too had an interview in late week of January, but had no contact from them.. Would you mind sharing your profile .. Are you from one of the IITs ?? It may help in deciding what it takes to get into the top schools.. Congrats once again!!

• 2 weeks later...

How many chance that Berkeley EECS will send out few PhD offer again from now ?  Guess they will send out rejections soon. 

According to some posters on the results page (take it for what it's worth), UCB doesn't do tier system. Instead they send out all acceptances at once.

I haven't checked, but you could run through previous years to see whether that's true or not.

• 3 weeks later...