Summers

marvel

Hello--

I have also been lurking on this site over the last few months, but thought I should make use of this site to ask a question that's been bugging me. I have been lucky enough to be accepted into the PhD program of my choice, and when looking at residence options, I notice that the college residences run from September to May only. I know the summer after my first year is supposed to be spent studying for my general exams in the fall of second year (I'm in English), and also research, publishing, etc....but do most people stay on campus to do this kind of work, or is it possible to go home in the summer? I would love to be able to spend some time at home with my family, and also to save the rent money, but I feel that my summer stipend suggests they want me on campus all year round...Obviously the best thing to do would be to ask students enrolled in my program, but I was wondering if I could get a general sense of what you guys do with your summers.

Well an english program is bound to be different than a bioscieces program... But for me, I was informed while I am allowed to take vacations, they want me to be productive.

Translation: it depends on your advisor and the amount of research you've completed and how much they feel like you deserve a break. But you can't just say on friday "so I'll be out for the rest of the month." I just have to get a lot done and maybe take a little time off when I can.

I'm in the social sciences. The summer is for reading, which can be done anywhere, teaching my own course, and conducting some preliminary dissertation fieldwork (location may vary). I'd imagine if you have good access to a library, you may be able to leave for the summer. Of course, summer teaching brings in income, which is why I do it.

I am definitely living at home through the summers.... heck, right now, I'm living at home as much as I possibly can during the week too...I only stay (in a cheap motel) 2 or 3 nights a week.

The director of the PhD program that I'm going into in the fall did explicitly mention a residence requirement for next year though.... not liking that :(

it varies...at a school i just visited in the south (eighty degrees in march!), i mentioned i was afraid i wouldn't survive a summer, and ALL the faculty said "why would you ever stay here for a summer?! we don't!" this is a field where travel for research is common, though, and at this program more than most. i'm curious to find out what summers involve at a school where people are a little more sedentary.

summer funding is the other part of this question, i guess - it's great to travel, or stay put and pay rent (because most leases are for a year anyway), but where's the money going to come from? worth finding out wherever you get in....

I was talking to a student in the program I'm going into today ....she says they were told that they should plan to be around during the summer as well.... SO not liking that! My husband works full time spring --> fall ...and I can't drive, at least for the time being (medical problems) ..... hopefully will get it sorted out before next year when it matters.

What you do with your apartment really depends. In a college town, it can be difficult to find a summer subletter, plus you have to be secure that they won't steal/damage your stuff/apartment. It's also difficult to find 9 month leases. I've always just paid my rent through the summer. This summer, I'll probably do the same.

I'm pretty much resigned to paying through the summer months.... BUT am happy dancing because a couple of profs I have talked to about the need to stay there through the summer have said that it really isn't as required as all that.... and that while they SAY it, no one is actually around to see whether you're there or not so not to worry about it; just need to make sure the work is getting done.

My husband works full time and then some through the summer months, so really doesn't have time to be chauffeuring me back and forth ... and I REALLY want to be HOME; that works for me.