Gifts for graduate student hosts?

I'd treat this like CouchSurfing or being hosted by distant relatives--a small gift (~$5 or less) or taking them for a small edible treat (coffee, ice cream) would be polite and appropriate. The student will get reimbursed for expenses by the school, but they are volunteering their time, and you ought to let them know their time is appreciated. Besides showing general good will, these are folks that will be your peers/colleagues in the field, regardless of whether you go to that particular school or not.

Nice gifts I've received include highly local food specialties or novelty items from the place my guests live. I've also had small gifts that were only meaningful in context of how I interacted with my guests. For example, a couple Germans commented that there were American flags everywhere, but we didn't have one. So at the end of their trip they bought us little American flag window stickers--these cost all of a dollar but were much appreciated because there was a memorable story behind the gift, and I still think of our guests when I see the stickers!

Edited by Usmivka

• 2 weeks later...

For interview weekends, most of my programs assigned a current student to pick me up from the airport, show me around the city/campus, and in some cases host me overnight.

Is any sort of gift customary?

I hosted undergrad students that were top scholarship finalists, and the nicest things were either covering my portion of a meal out or getting me a coffee - things like that. Wine or a small package of good coffee grounds (maybe from a good shop where you are from) works well too!

Not needed, IMO. I don't expect it from people we pick up and take around.

One thing I do really appreciate, however, is hearing from prospectives after they leave. Even if they decide to go elsewhere, it's nice to hear.

I've never expected anything more than a thank you from the students I host, but I have occasionally gotten some small gifts like coffee, chocolates or a bookmark from a student's home country/city and that's also great. It's also nice to know what someone I hosted decided to do, just because I'm that kind of curious.

For interview weekends, most of my programs assigned a current student to pick me up from the airport, show me around the city/campus, and in some cases host me overnight.

Is any sort of gift customary?

This is required of students by many programs. You do not need to supply them a gift. I would send them a thank you email

I think that most students enjoyed this. They get free food and alcohol, and they appreciate this aspect of it. We had unofficial contests to see who could get the most recruits to matriculate into the program too.

I gave some small chocolates to those who hosted me and drove me to and from the airport. One thing I forgot to consider, though: one of my hosts was a vegan! So perhaps that is something to keep in mind in the future. :) I also sent thank you emails after the fact. The grad students seemed surprised but pleased, which is not a bad reaction. Regardless of whether they enjoy it or are getting reimbursed, I think it's just polite to give something when anyone lets you into the privacy of their home; I know whenever I have company I feel the need to straighten up, vacuum, wash towels, etc, so it's reciprocity for that extra bit of work.

Edited by Linelei