LSA Institute 2013

busbus

I am looking at the fellowships available for participants of this summer's LSA Institute.  For the most part, they say they cover tuition. I suppose your mileage may vary and I plan on asking mine if I do get one, but for now, I'd like to know - do departments help cover funding as well?

I think I could get travel funding from my university; it would come out of the same funding students are allocated for conference/fieldwork travel. Normally it's possible to used that money to get accommodations reimbursed, too. Mind you, I asked around two years ago but ended up not going, and I'm also not going now, so I could be mistaken.

I can imagine this depends a lot on your department. I'm applying and my department can't cover my additional costs, but I'm told there are other strings to be pulled when the time comes. We'll see. I recently put in my fellowship application, too... fingers crossed. Good luck! :)

Edited by LinguisticMystic

Hey! Would it be appropriate to mention the program I've been accepted to already (but haven't yet begun) on my LSA Institute SoP, since it's germane to the courses I'd want to take?

Edited by mylime

Also, what are the odds that my department--once again, one I won't have had classes in yet (how's that for some conditionals?)--would contribute to any of the costs associated?

You could mention attending X university next year, assuming you've officially decided to go there (you don't want someone finding out you are accepting/declining an admissions offer through your fellowship application). I doubt that you could get travel funding from the university, however, because you are not a registered student there at the moment. You might be able to apply for reimbursement in the fall, once you're officially a full-time student, but honestly it's odd to ask a school to reimburse expenses you incurred before you started attending that school; I'd ask around discreetly before making an official request.

I haven't decided whether or not I'm going there--waiting to hear back from others--so your point is well-received; I hadn't thought about who would be actually reviewing my fellowship app, but of course it could very well be someone who is/knows someone from that program. As far as funding goes, figured as much. Thank you!

• 3 weeks later...

On a similar line, I've noticed that you have to be subscribed to the LSA to attend the institute, the price for afiliation is diferent if you are a student or an independant, If have already graduated from my past program and will be begining my Ph.D in august-september, would I count as a student for the years subscription or will I have to pay extra for being in between programs? 

Hey have any of the fellowship applicants heard back from LSA? My friend has received an email from the fellowing committee asking for a conversation (interview?).

Has anyone been interviewed before or will anyone be interviewed? Is it normal for them to ask for an interview?

Many thanks for your help!

Hey have any of the fellowship applicants heard back from LSA?

I haven't.

My friend has received an email from the fellowing committee asking for a conversation (interview?).

Good for him/her!

Has anyone been interviewed before or will anyone be interviewed? Is it normal for them to ask for an interview?

I have no idea.

Thanks for the reply Omnium. He said he's applying for McCawley Fellowship so that might be a bit different from other fellowships. I have applied but heard nothing too. Best wishes to your application!

He said he's applying for McCawley Fellowship so that might be a bit different from other fellowships. 

Oh, snap. I'm applying for the McCawley Fellowship as well.  :(

I have applied but heard nothing too. Best wishes to your application!

I would like to offer you my best wishes as well.  :)

Meanwhile, I'm having a blast in Toronto (at UToronto's undergraduate conference). They seem to have a great department (and people) here.

Meanwhile, I'm having a blast in Toronto (at UToronto's undergraduate conference). They seem to have a great department (and people) here.

:) :)! I'm currently doing my MA at University of Toronto (and used to organize the conference when I was in undergrad); I'm glad you're having a great time!!

:) :)! I'm currently doing my MA at University of Toronto (and used to organize the conference when I was in undergrad); I'm glad you're having a great time!!

That's amazing! I'll be giving a talk tomorrow morning at 10:30 on semantics stuff. If you're going to be around, do come check out!

I also didn't get in. Had high hopes but the previous post said it best, only slightly less competitive than a PhD. I'll give it another whack in 2015. Chicago is more fun than Ann Arbor anyway :)

Just got the results back and found that I got accepted. Does anyone know if the Bloch fellowship has been announced too? I applied for that in addition to the standard fellowship, but the email I received had nothing to say about it.

Just got the results back and found that I got accepted. Does anyone know if the Bloch fellowship has been announced too? I applied for that in addition to the standard fellowship, but the email I received had nothing to say about it.

Good question. I got awarded a fellowship as well but no news about the Bloch fellowship either. We'll see I suppose. Either way, I'm definitely set on going now.

Same here. Have you thought any about housing? I'll be keeping an eye peeled for sublet opportunities, since the $48 per day minimum for the university housing is pretty unappealing, particularly since I'll be coming from a college town where I pay $450 per month for my own one-room apartment.

A sublet would definitely be ideal, but the dates are kind of funky, so I'm not sure that'd be likely to work out. I would just camp the whole time, but then I wouldn't have wifi. Maybe live in my car?

Stay in touch/message me if you'd be interested in going in on something together (this applies to anyone planning on attending!).

• 4 weeks later...

To those who are attending the institute, how are you choosing your courses? I've been to several summer schools in linguistics and related areas before, but they were of shorter duration, meaning that they seemed more like long presentations than classes, and so I would choose a broad palate of courses rather blithely and just sit, trying to absorb as much as I could, but not really worrying if a thing or two went over my head.

The month-long duration of the LSA's institute, however, makes me wonder if I shouldn't change my approach. In particular, I am considering whether to take all my courses in one area, or to take courses in several subfields? I suppose for those who are more advanced in their studies and have already specialized quite narrowly, this is a no-brainer, but I have not specialized so narrowly yet. On the one hand, I am still trying to get exposure to a lot of ideas in disparate areas of linguistics, on the other hand, maybe it would be best to focus on an area I am uncomfortable with and learn it as well as I can for the month.

Thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...

I think the Institute is a good opportunity to take courses that would not be available at your home institution. They look like they have a fair amount of intro courses, but if you can handle more cutting edge material it would be worth it to take the opportunity to jump into any advanced courses you find interesting but would not otherwise have access to.