Ok, so NOW I'm worried...

RinseRepeat

Hey everyone! I'm new to this site, and have gone through about a million posts in the last few hours. I applied to 6 Psychology PhD programs (Behavioral/Cognitive Neuroscience) and have been semi-nervously and obliviously waiting for some sort of contact. I did get a rejection from the school I expected to get rejected from (you know, the big stretch/dream program) 2 weeks ago, but figured everything was just annoyingly slow.  

Then I come on here....and I see all kinds of talk about people receiving interview invites and even offers. I have this sinking feeling now that this silence isn't a good sign. I have held the firm belief (throughout the entire application process) that less contact with the department regarding deadlines is better because it not only makes them think you need your hand held, but also because most deadlines and info were on the website. However, when they are going to contact people for interviews or any sort of dates regarding this phase, are not available online.

Can anyone offer any insight that might ease the (hopefully) premature sinking feeling in my gut right now? The main schools I'm curious about are UCI, Berkeley, UCLA, and UC Santa Cruz (all schools I had very positive correspondence with the professors I hope to work with....even a few specifically saying they were going to be looking for my application). Anyone have any info on if they've sent out interview invites or decisions for anyone? I couldn't find anything in the forums here (yet). 

Thanks!! Anyone who can give me information leading to increased hope will get cake. 

(Note: the cake is a lie...sorry)

You should go to the "results" search portion of this website and look up when your schools start sending out interview invites. I'm not sure about and of your programs, but every school has a different timeline. Sorry, I dont have any more specific information to give you.

P.S: The main reason I posted is because I went to UCSC for undergrad. You're probably familiar with the school because from your list of schools I think you must be from California. Anyhow, I just wanted to say that its a great campus. If you want to know anything about the city or school in general send me a message! I don't know anything about youre graduate program, but I love to chat up Santa Cruz.

It depends on the program and school.  Some places I applied sent invites in early Dec. and others in late jan.  I know of other programs that sometimes don't notify anyone until a the first few weeks of Feb.  Like the others here have said checking the results section is the best way to see if anyone has heard back from your specific programs.  You can also always send an email to the program asking if they have any update on your application status or when you might hear back from them.  Many programs seem to respond quickly with a "we have already sent out invites" or "we are still reviewing applications.  I also applied to UCLA (behavioral neuroscience area, psych dept.) but have heard nothing back either.   Sorry I can't provide any more specific information but it is definitely not time to lose hope yet.

Edited by hippo74

I've also applied to six Psychology (Cognitive Neuroscience) PhD programs in California (Berkeley, Santa Barbara, Davis, San Diego, Irvine, Riverside) and have only heard back from one (UCSD - declined). There's still hope. Just remember to keep breathing.

Hey everyone! I'm new to this site, and have gone through about a million posts in the last few hours. I applied to 6 Psychology PhD programs (Behavioral/Cognitive Neuroscience) and have been semi-nervously and obliviously waiting for some sort of contact. I did get a rejection from the school I expected to get rejected from (you know, the big stretch/dream program) 2 weeks ago, but figured everything was just annoyingly slow.  

Then I come on here....and I see all kinds of talk about people receiving interview invites and even offers. I have this sinking feeling now that this silence isn't a good sign. I have held the firm belief (throughout the entire application process) that less contact with the department regarding deadlines is better because it not only makes them think you need your hand held, but also because most deadlines and info were on the website. However, when they are going to contact people for interviews or any sort of dates regarding this phase, are not available online.

Can anyone offer any insight that might ease the (hopefully) premature sinking feeling in my gut right now? The main schools I'm curious about are UCI, Berkeley, UCLA, and UC Santa Cruz (all schools I had very positive correspondence with the professors I hope to work with....even a few specifically saying they were going to be looking for my application). Anyone have any info on if they've sent out interview invites or decisions for anyone? I couldn't find anything in the forums here (yet). 

Thanks!! Anyone who can give me information leading to increased hope will get cake. 

(Note: the cake is a lie...sorry)

I am in the same boat as you. I haven't heard much of anything and visiting the forum everyday doesn't make me feel much better about it. I tried to email the secretary of one school but she didn't respond, and my advisor said to only email professors if you have something concrete to share. It is terrible, but I think we just have to wait it out!

Good luck to you!

Look back at past results to see when others heard from the specific program. Even within a university, each department moves at a different pace through the process, and some are notoriously, painfully slow. 

Hello.  My handle is wemayet, and I am a GradCafe "search results" junkie.

It all started in the fall, when I was looking for application advice.  I figured a little wouldn't hurt, you know?  It didn't take long before I was spending most, then all, of my spare time reading forums.  It didn't seem like a bad trade off for all the good feelings I was getting from what I was taking in.  I grew to rely upon it.  I needed it to get through applications.  But even when applications were over, I still needed.  I tried to quit cold turkey, but found myself going back for more.  I think on purpose at some level, I had even lost my login for a while, hoping I'd forget.  Then one day, I saw it.  The first indication that someone from one of my schools had gotten an interview.  That taste brought me back.  Worse than before.  A great hunger inside of me, I needed the information.  On my tower, on my ipad, on my laptop... all browsers had a GradCafe tab.  I'd hit that refresh button... dozens of times... sometime dozens of times in one hour.  When I wake up, I reach for the nearest computerized device and hit refresh again and again.  I'm hoping to make it an hour without, for this first attempt to stop.

My handle is wemayet, and I am a GradCafe "search results" junkie. 

It all started in the fall, when I was looking for application advice.  I figured a little wouldn't hurt, you know?  It didn't take long before I was spending most, then all, of my spare time reading forums.  It didn't seem like a bad trade off for all the good feelings I was getting from what I was taking in.  I grew to rely upon it.  I needed it to get through applications.  But even when applications were over, I still needed.  I tried to quit cold turkey, but found myself going back for more.  I think on purpose at some level, I had even lost my login for a while, hoping I'd forget.  Then one day, I saw it.  The first indication that someone from one of my schools had gotten an interview.  That taste brought me back.  Worse than before.  A great hunger inside of me, I needed the information.  On my tower, on my ipad, on my laptop... all browsers had a GradCafe tab.  I'd hit that refresh button... dozens of times... sometime dozens of times in one hour.  When I wake up, I reach for the nearest computerized device and hit refresh again and again.  I'm hoping to make it an hour without, for this first attempt to stop.

Hahahahaha.. this sounds eerily familiar!

Also keep in mind that not all departments do post application invites and interviews. For instance my program at all three schools I applied to(see sig) specifically state no interviews will take place and that you just submit your application and the next thing you hear is your decision. I even looked back a few years on the search to see if interviews happened. Dunno if that's your case but something to think about.

Bah! I'm in a very similar situation as well. I applied to UCLA (Cognitive), Boulder (Cognitive), NYU (Cognition & Perception), and Harvard (Cognition). Haven't heard back from any of the schools. I do know that UCLA doesn't interview for the cognitive area (only clinical and social, I believe), so I wouldn't be too worried about that.

NYU is my top choice, so I'm definitely in freak-out/GradCafe junkie mode. If anyone has heard anything related to the schools above, I'd love to know. But you're not alone, @RinseRepeat. I feel like I'm going insane. But I guess we won't know until we know.  <_<

Edited by sitah89

Thanks for the replies everyone! Sapcezeppelin: In my mad fit of insomnia last night (which really hurt this morning at work btw) I finally thought to log in at the my.ucsc.edu page I was emailed when I submitted my ucsc app. On there it stated correspondence would be in march, so it made me feel a bit better. If I do end up getting in, I definitely wouldn't mind speaking with you about a few things if you're willing! Rubybright: thanks for that link. I kept seeing the results page referenced, but couldn't seem to find it! That being said, it looks as though I've missed the decline date of most of my schools, but also missed the interview date. Does this mean I'm most likely still in the running, but at the bottom of the list? I know this probably means there is still hope, but realistically, how seriously should I be thinking about my plan B? Hippo74: You said you haven't heard back from ucla, but in your school list in your sig you have it listed as interview. This site seems like a great support. I wish I had found it earlier in the process! To everyone who posted they are in the same/similar position as me, good luck! I really hope things work out for all of us.

Bah! I'm in a very similar situation as well. I applied to UCLA (Cognitive), Boulder (Cognitive), NYU (Cognition & Perception), and Harvard (Cognition). Haven't heard back from any of the schools. I do know that UCLA doesn't interview for the cognitive area (only clinical and social, I believe), so I wouldn't be too worried about that.   NYU is my top choice, so I'm definitely in freak-out/GradCafe junkie mode. If anyone has heard anything related to the schools above, I'd love to know. But you're not alone, @RinseRepeat. I feel like I'm going insane. But I guess we won't know until we know.  <_<
Thanks for the info on ucla! That makes me feel a tad better. The part of all this that bugs me the most are the schools where I was in contact with my POIs before applying, sent them my CV, research background, etc, and they told me they were not only taking new students but also would be looking out for my app because I was a good fit for their lab. I felt like I had a decent chance at an interview at least. This silence feels cruel. ;)

I am applying to MS programs in Natural Resources.  One deadline was January 15th, two February 1st, and one is March 1st.  I realize that I should have applied much earlier, but all of the professers I talked to didn't see any issues with my application dates.  Some programs said it may be a while before they decide on students, so I guess it just depends. 

Edited by weymiller

I know Berkeley interview invites went out for SP students, not sure about your program. Also I think I saw UCSB psych on the results page. Did you ever get around to checking?

it looks as though I've missed the decline date of most of my schools, but also missed the interview date. Does this mean I'm most likely still in the running, but at the bottom of the list?

From what I understand no flat-out rejection or acceptance means you're on the waiting list. So if an accepted student turns down the school they may decide to accept you. Unfortunately most of the time this just messes with your head. If they do decide to accept you they usually get back to you very late and in the meantime you're in limbo.

I have checked the list on here, but haven't called any schools yet. I'm just going to stay in waiting mode. I know calling wont help. I guess I just have to wait it out and hope I'm not in as bad of a spot as my gut tells me I am.

Hippo74: You said you haven't heard back from ucla, but in your school list in your sig you have it listed as interview.

When I posted first, I had not heard from them but yesterday I received an email from my POI saying (informally) I had been accepted for an interview.  They only met to make their decisions on Tuesday and have not sent the formal invites yet.  From what I heard it sounds like the invitations will be sent out today or in the next few days.  Good luck!

So, it looks like I may have been mistaken about the interviews at UCLA. I could have sworn I read something about there being no interview process for Cognitive applicants. Anyways, the recruitment/interview schedule is on this site:

http://www.psych.ucla.edu/graduate/prospective-students/application-instructions

It states the following:

Behavioral Neuroscience, Cognitive, and Learning and Behavior Areas: March 1 & 2, 2013

Also, the site says that applicants will be notified at least 2 weeks beforehand, so basically if we don't get an interview invite by February 15th, we'll know...

I'v

I obsessed for a bit, but I've forced myself to stop looking at search results. I realized that absolutely no good could come of it. At best I won't learn anything, but I'm likely to see that other people had gotten accepted or gotten interviews to my schools and it would just ruin my day. The experience that forced me to stop was that I had been obsessively checking results and after seeing one of my schools had sent out a bunch of interviews, I got seriously depressed for about a week. I had completely written the school off, as well as my chances at any other school. Then out of the blue I got a phone interview request from this school, and now I'm invited to visit. Yeah, I don't want to have that experience again. Having the information is not worth the anxiety. I'll find out when they've made MY decision.

I obsessed for a bit, but I've forced myself to stop looking at search results. I realized that absolutely no good could come of it. At best I won't learn anything, but I'm likely to see that other people had gotten accepted or gotten interviews to my schools and it would just ruin my day. The experience that forced me to stop was that I had been obsessively checking results and after seeing one of my schools had sent out a bunch of interviews, I got seriously depressed for about a week. I had completely written the school off, as well as my chances at any other school. Then out of the blue I got a phone interview request from this school, and now I'm invited to visit. Yeah, I don't want to have that experience again. Having the information is not worth the anxiety. I'll find out when they've made MY decision.

I'm slowly coming around to that way of thinking. I have an idea of when I might hear from places - does it really help to obsessively check if other people have heard today, or yesterday? I know it doesn't, but I'm still doing it anyway.  :rolleyes: Like I said, I'm slowly coming around to the idea.

I'm slowly coming around to that way of thinking. I have an idea of when I might hear from places - does it really help to obsessively check if other people have heard today, or yesterday? I know it doesn't, but I'm still doing it anyway.  :rolleyes: Like I said, I'm slowly coming around to the idea.

Haha, I'll confess that I sometimes still check. It can be a bit difficult not to. But I don't check it 20 times a day like I was for a while. Maybe every few days. 

So, it looks like I may have been mistaken about the interviews at UCLA. I could have sworn I read something about there being no interview process for Cognitive applicants. Anyways, the recruitment/interview schedule is on this site:   http://www.psych.ucla.edu/graduate/prospective-students/application-instructions'>http://www.psych.ucla.edu/graduate/prospective-students/application-instructions   It states the following:   Behavioral Neuroscience, Cognitive, and Learning and Behavior Areas: March 1 & 2, 2013   Also, the site says that applicants will be notified at least 2 weeks beforehand, so basically if we don't get an interview invite by February 15th, we'll know...
Thanks for this. From what I can tell, I'm still in the "on time" range for 3 of my schools, and the others have already sent out interview invites and denials. I guess I'm in the acceptance stage of dealing with this, but secretly hoping Feb 1st is a day some schools are waiting for to send out their interview notices. ;)

This site has given me solace. I just joined days ago, and I already feel like I am a part of a community of people who are trying to better their lives and become successful. It feels good to know that all of my anxiety is because I truly care about and love what I do. Yeah, I've been a little obsessive on this site lately, but it has helped overall.

I only had 2 schools that do interviews, and I received rejections from them earlier this week, so now I just have to wait it out for the rest.

I feel the same way CPM. (I am also jealous of all the people who got accepted and/or interviews a month ago....I thought my chances were good considering my GPA and research experience!) But yeah, I wish I had come across this site earlier. Good luck! Hope you hear good news soon!!