2013 SLP Admissions Thread!

Hi - I've been obsessively checking this thread so I figured it was only fair that I contribute :)  I'm switching careers - attorney to SLP.  I am just finishing my pre-reqs through an online post-bacc program at SUNY New Paltz.

I got an email from NYU saying that they are working to get decisions letters out "near the end of February." 

Let the waiting begin!

APPLIED:  Columbia, NYU, Vanderbilt, UNC Chapel Hill, Brooklyn College, Hunter College, Queens College, SUNY New Paltz

I just had my interview with Nova for (potentially) Fall 2013 or Winter 2014, depending on seats available.  I am waiting to hear from USC (online), USF, LaSalle (my alma mater), U of Southern Miss, Loyola, Towson, Chapman, Pacific, JMU, Longwood, and Mercy. Phew.  Has anyone heard back from any of these schools yet? I am expecting we will hear back within the next few weeks, but just wanted to ask.

The explanation given was that they want candidates who KNOW that they want to go to SC, so when they get their acceptance letter, it's easy to respond. Oh, and $500 is also due with your response to the acceptance letter! From what I can tell, if we don't hear from them for the first cycle until mid-March, and I hear from the rest of my universities as they have done in the past, I should have heard something from almost everyone by the time I hear from SC. At least, that is my hope. The only catch would be if I get wait listed anywhere.

I hate to say this because S. Carolina is my alma mater (Anthropology), I love that darn school, and I might want to do my PhD there in the future... but it seems a little arrogant to say they only want candidates who "know" they want to go there. It seems like that policy might indavertently exclude top-tier candidates who expect they may get a funded offer elsewhere. But, I suppose it works if they send out their decisions later than other schools.

However, I'm sure they know what they're doing.  :)

I hate to say this because S. Carolina is my alma mater (Anthropology), I love that darn school, and I might want to do my PhD there in the future... but it seems a little arrogant to say they only want candidates who "know" they want to go there. It seems like that policy might indavertently exclude top-tier candidates who expect they may get a funded offer elsewhere. But, I suppose it works if they send out their decisions later than other schools.

However, I'm sure they know what they're doing.  :)

It's interesting, though, because it seems like some schools have not fully adjusted their admissions procedures to accommodate the influx of SLP applicants. If you read the results board for last year, UCF didn't notify top applicants until two weeks after the national deadline!

California checking in! Am I the only one?!

Not the only one! My husband's applications were confirmed received by SDSU and CSU East Bay ... looking at last year, it seems we have a 3 week wait for SDSU and another month and a half for CSUEB.  <_<

SO unnerving -- got a "large" envelope in the mailbox today ... and got my hopes up as I was skipping back down the driveway (literally... I know, it's weird).  I got in the house and... wait for it ...

it was JUNK MAIL about car insurance.  :-( 

Talk about disappointing!  I know I'm pretty much waiting until the end of February/end of March, but was secretly hoping it would be sooner... 

Not the only one! My husband's applications were confirmed received by SDSU and CSU East Bay ... looking at last year, it seems we have a 3 week wait for SDSU and another month and a half for CSUEB.  <_<

I applied to CSUEB and UoP. I believe we're in for a long wait...  :ph34r:

I just had my interview with Nova for (potentially) Fall 2013 or Winter 2014, depending on seats available.  I am waiting to hear from USC (online), USF, LaSalle (my alma mater), U of Southern Miss, Loyola, Towson, Chapman, Pacific, JMU, Longwood, and Mercy. Phew.  Has anyone heard back from any of these schools yet? I am expecting we will hear back within the next few weeks, but just wanted to ask.

How was the interview? My interview was pretty intense because my grades sucked. It was with the actual head of the department.

Edited by Umami

Hey everyone - so I'm new to this website and anxiously awaiting to hear from all of the schools I applied to. It's amazing seeing so much positive energy on here though. I hope everyone finds a spot somewhere. I've applied to LIU CW Post, Hofstra, Adelphi, New York Medical College, Mercy, Newpaltz, Columbia, and NOVA and I've been invited for an interview with LIU and NYMC. Good luck to everyone!!!!!

Hi fellow New Yorker lol! We applied to some of the same schools, waiting is really killing me! I feel like the East Coast is sooo slow with responses compared to the rest of the country.... good luck!

I'm anxiously waiting as well! I have a phone interview with University of New Mexico (UNM) on Thursday! I'm so glad to see a glimmer of hope. Second year applying (this time to 11 schools instead of 2...). 2.9 Undergrad GPA; 4.0 2nd Bachelors in CSD at USF; 156V 144Q 4.5AW. Work experience as a SLP-A at a speech office, front desk at an audiology office, and now at a Parkinson's Disease center. I'm staying hopeful! Good luck everyone :)

Edited by fsustar83

I'm anxiously waiting as well! I have a phone interview with University of New Mexico (UNM) on Thursday! I'm so glad to see a glimmer of hope. Second year applying (this time to 11 schools instead of 2...). 2.9 Undergrad GPA; 4.0 2nd Bachelors in CSD at USF; 156V 144Q 4.5AW. Work experience as a SLP-A at a speech office, front desk at an audiology office, and now at a Parkinson's Disease center. I'm staying hopeful! Good luck everyone :)

Wow, sounds like your stats are awesome!! And congrats on the interview-- how exciting :D I'm sure you will ace it!

Hey everyone - so I'm new to this website and anxiously awaiting to hear from all of the schools I applied to. It's amazing seeing so much positive energy on here though. I hope everyone finds a spot somewhere. I've applied to LIU CW Post, Hofstra, Adelphi, New York Medical College, Mercy, Newpaltz, Columbia, and NOVA and I've been invited for an interview with LIU and NYMC. Good luck to everyone!!!!!

Hi fellow New Yorker lol! We applied to some of the same schools, waiting is really killing me! I feel like the East Coast is sooo slow with responses compared to the rest of the country.... good luck!

I am from New York as well! :) Unfortunately, though, I'm an out of field applicant so that kept me from applying to most of the NY schools. But I did apply to 3! Hoping to hear sometime soon...good luck to both of you!

I am from New York as well! :) Unfortunately, though, I'm an out of field applicant so that kept me from applying to most of the NY schools. But I did apply to 3! Hoping to hear sometime soon...good luck to both of you!

I think we will start hearing back within the next 2-3 weeks. I have an interview tomorrow and I am so nervous about it, hopefully it goes well! What schools did you apply to in NY??

How was the interview? My interview was pretty intense because my grades sucked. It was with the actual head of the department.

It went well.  I spoke with Dr. Fisher.  I was a little nervous because I haven't had an interview for anything other than my current job over a year and a half ago.  I am really looking forward to hearing back in April.  It would be awesome to continue working, while my current job pays for a certain number of credits. LaSalle was super expensive so I'm looking to spend as little as possible on my grad degree.  I know a few graduates from the Nova program and regardless of what anyone says about it being online, they definitely know their stuff and are excellent SLPs.

Did they give you an approximate start date?

I think we will start hearing back within the next 2-3 weeks. I have an interview tomorrow and I am so nervous about it, hopefully it goes well! What schools did you apply to in NY??

i applied to columbia, nyu, and nymc. well, actually i technically applied to st johns as well. I shadowed an SLP there this summer and she said I should apply even though I didn't have the prereqs, but after i submitted my app, i got a call from the director of admissions saying that they couldn't accept my application for this cycle. so i'm not really sure whats happening with that!

where is your interview tomorrow? good luck, you'll be great!!!

i applied to columbia, nyu, and nymc. well, actually i technically applied to st johns as well. I shadowed an SLP there this summer and she said I should apply even though I didn't have the prereqs, but after i submitted my app, i got a call from the director of admissions saying that they couldn't accept my application for this cycle. so i'm not really sure whats happening with that!

where is your interview tomorrow? good luck, you'll be great!!!

My interview is at NYMC, thanks for the well wishes! I applied to St. John's as well, did they give you a reason why they could not accept your application this cycle?

My interview is at NYMC, thanks for the well wishes! I applied to St. John's as well, did they give you a reason why they could not accept your application this cycle?

oh awesome, good luck!! i have my NYMC interview in a couple weeks. i went to their open house back in december and i was very impressed by the program.

St. Johns told me they couldn't accept my app because they don't accept applications from students who haven't taken the prerequisite courses. I knew this before I applied, but the SLP I shadowed told me to apply anyway. It was worth a shot, but didn't pan out! i think they're deferring my application to the spring 2014 pool (so i could take prereqs this coming fall), but I wouldn't have wanted to do that unless it was my only option

Edited by speech310

oh awesome, good luck!! i have my NYMC interview in a couple weeks. i went to their open house back in december and i was very impressed by the program.

St. Johns told me they couldn't accept my app because they don't accept applications from students who haven't taken the prerequisite courses. I knew this before I applied, but the SLP I shadowed told me to apply anyway. It was worth a shot, but didn't pan out! i think they're deferring my application to the spring 2014 pool (so i could take prereqs this coming fall), but I wouldn't have wanted to do that unless it was my only option

I went to NYMC's open house last year and loved it! I am really looking for a program with a medical emphasis, my goal is to work in a NICU someday...one can dream lol! I spent a lot of time in two hospitals over the summer shadowing/undegrad volunteer program (basically like an internship)- I loved every second! Fingers crossed we both get good news in the next few weeks, good luck!!!

I totally agree, I feel like a crazy person leaving my email open at all moments during work just hoping I'll get a good news email or running to my mailbox at home although I've basically come to accept that we're not going to hear anything until at least March. I hope the time flies  :)

Good luck to you as well!!!

I went to NYMC's open house last year and loved it! I am really looking for a program with a medical emphasis, my goal is to work in a NICU someday...one can dream lol! I spent a lot of time in two hospitals over the summer shadowing/undegrad volunteer program (basically like an internship)- I loved every second! Fingers crossed we both get good news in the next few weeks, good luck!!!

I have my NYMC interview on March 6 - I'm very interested in their program. Speech310, is that when your interview is as well? 

Good luck hopefullslp, I'm sure you're going to do great! Sending positive energy your way.

Edited by jcspeech