2013 SLP Admissions Thread!

if they were to notify us thru the website, where would it be? what is the website? ughh

If they did, it would be ApplyYourself, the website where you submitted your app. But so far, they have been notifying via phone.

I haven't heard anything from UNC CH. I'm still not sure if they notified all admits yet. It doesn't seem it, though I'm not too optimistic.

I doubt they have notified everyone yet unless they're doing it differently from the last few years--still crossing my fingers for you!

I haven't heard from UNC yet - hadn't been able to get on this page before now.  I also work in an area where my cell phone is out of range of any cell towers, so they'd likely leave a voicemail, which I don't have yet.  Even though I did my undergrad (out of field) and first master's degree at UNC Chapel Hill ... the SLP program is probably a reach for my stats ... realistically not holding my breath but it would be cool to be accepted there for a third degree program!  

Best of luck to KatieLiz and any others who are getting your acceptances!!  Congratulations!!!!! 

I'm not even sure which is my first choice school after visiting.  I'd be super happy to go to either, so at least there's that...

Honestly, me too! Not to sound like a Pollyanna, but I think most of the programs around the country sound pretty great, and I will truly feel grateful to attend either of my programs if I'm lucky enough to get in.

I know that from a professional SLP perspective, everyone here will be just fine as long as they get in somewhere, but it's hard when you have your hopes set on a particular place.

Honestly, me too! Not to sound like a Pollyanna, but I think most of the programs around the country sound pretty great, and I will truly feel grateful to attend either of my programs if I'm lucky enough to get in.

I know that from a professional SLP perspective, everyone here will be just fine as long as they get in somewhere, but it's hard when you have your hopes set on a particular place.

I don't even have my hopes set on a particular place! I'm not sure why, but since my applications have been submitted/I've been waiting/posting on here, I doubt my ability to get in anywhere. It's really scary now. 

I don't even have my hopes set on a particular place! I'm not sure why, but since my applications have been submitted/I've been waiting/posting on here, I doubt my ability to get in anywhere. It's really scary now. 

Girl, your stats and experience are awesome, and you rock!

I know you won't feel relaxed until you have an acceptance somewhere, and I know I'm probably annoying and repetitive, but I think you need some cheerleading because you are a strong applicant. Don't let this process get you down.

I just want to get into a program, if I wind up having choices that would be awesome...but just to hear or read the words "you have been accepted.."- thats my goal lol

I just want to get into a program, if I wind up having choices that would be awesome...but just to hear or read the words "you have been accepted.."- thats my goal lol

With two interviews lined up and a lot of schools to hear from, I think you're well on your way!

Girl, your stats and experience are awesome, and you rock!

I know you won't feel relaxed until you have an acceptance somewhere, and I know I'm probably annoying and repetitive, but I think you need some cheerleading because you are a strong applicant. Don't let this process get you down.

Ugh you are really a great person. Thanks so much for being encouraging- I think we all need it. 

With two interviews lined up and a lot of schools to hear from, I think you're well on your way!

I really hope so!! This is my second year applying so it's extra nerve wracking! I feel like I can write a book about the application process...lol

I really hope so!! This is my second year applying so it's extra nerve wracking! I feel like I can write a book about the application process...lol

Oh, good for you for going for it again!

Did you apply to any of the same schools as last year?

Definitely, midnight streetlight - I know that a message from you was the first time I felt really welcomed (and it seems like you've done the same for almost everyone in this SLP forum).  Coming from out of field & not knowing anyone else in a similar situation - it meant a lot.  If you're ever in Minnesota, I owe you a cup of coffee.

I still have two people in my head - one who is sure I'll never get in anywhere & one who is tentatively hopeful I'll be starting my career as an SLP in August.  But I'm with you guys - the waiting is the worst, especially now that plenty of results are rolling in.  At least it should be done (for the most part) in a month.  Then the good stuff starts.

Oh, good for you for going for it again!

Did you apply to any of the same schools as last year?

Yea, I applied to Hunter, LIU, New York Medical College, and UW-MEDSLP last year. I guess scoring an interview at NYMC this year was definitely a shock to me, but attests to the fact that I didn't give up and how things can turn around in a year! After my last rejection last year, I was like what can I do to stand out?? I sought out an undegrad speech volunteer program at a local hospital where I spent 100 hours shadowing and assisting SLP's- I loved it! I was able to learn more about dysphagia ( my area of interest)- I was able to watch and prep for VES, I also participated in 1:1 and group feeds. After my program ended, I shadowed an SLP in a NYC hospital where I saw LSVT for the first time and loved that! This past November, I started a new job as a 1:1 in a preschool for kids with disabilities and autism and I am currently enrolled in a graduate certificate program in Autism Spectrum Disorders. It has been a long road, but it was worth it- this past year I have learned more about our field outside of a classroom then in one lol....

Yea, I applied to Hunter, LIU, New York Medical College, and UW-MEDSLP last year. I guess scoring an interview at NYMC this year was definitely a shock to me, but attests to the fact that I didn't give up and how things can turn around in a year! After my last rejection last year, I was like what can I do to stand out?? I sought out an undegrad speech volunteer program at a local hospital where I spent 100 hours shadowing and assisting SLP's- I loved it! I was able to learn more about dysphagia ( my area of interest)- I was able to watch and prep for VES, I also participated in 1:1 and group feeds. After my program ended, I shadowed an SLP in a NYC hospital where I saw LSVT for the first time and loved that! This past November, I started a new job as a 1:1 in a preschool for kids with disabilities and autism and I am currently enrolled in a graduate certificate program in Autism Spectrum Disorders. It has been a long road, but it was worth it- this past year I have learned more about our field outside of a classroom then in one lol....

That is phenomenal. Your perseverance and new experiences will really pay off, I'm 100% sure of it.

I was toying with the idea of doing an autism post-bacc program here in my hometown. If I don't get in anywhere, I may go for it.

hahah the worst is when someone else has found out and you havent heard either way. i'm in that boat for NYU now...good luck!!

I agree. That is happening with one of my schools. I see a slew of rejection letters went out and I got nothing. Also, a number of people have updated stating they are on the wait list. Again, nothing for me. I hope this means good news.

I've been trying really hard to not get too psyched up about any one option until I hear back from places. It's difficult! I'll be happy at any of the schools I applied to though, so it may ultimately come down to cost if I get multiple acceptances. I'm really hoping for some funding options.

Congrats to those who are hearing from places this week! It's exciting to see so much activity on the results page.

Edited by tuckerma

That is phenomenal. Your perseverance and new experiences will really pay off, I'm 100% sure of it.

I was toying with the idea of doing an autism post-bacc program here in my hometown. If I don't get in anywhere, I may go for it.

I love the ASD program I am in! Its grad level speech/education course and my professors really know their stuff! The class is a mix of teachers, speech pathologists, and those of us who just graduated with our B.A.'s in Speech,Education,or Psych. The reason I enrolled was to become familiar with the population in which I will most likely be working with at some point as an SLP. These classes have already proved to be invaluable resources for me as a 1:1. Thank you for your kind words- I definitely feel that perseverance has gotten me through this past year as well as support from family and friends! It is comforting to know that people on this forum know how it feels to wait and be rational one minute and irrational the next! lol Most of friends and family don't get it and think I'm crazy!

I actually am feeling that same way too -- I'd be honored and happy to get accepted anywhere.  The standards for SLP programs are very high, so anywhere I could even possibly dream of getting accepted would be a great honor.  We are geographically limited, because we just can't move too far, plus I am out-of-field, so the fewest pre-reqs possible to get accepted has kind of placed some programs higher up on our mental list of preferences than others, but I am confident in the academics of all of the programs where I applied, and enjoyed my visits.  

GAH ... just hoping to hear something, anything, soon.  I am reasonably sure I will get at least 2 rejections if not more...  Hence the number of apps I filled out! 

Edited by kcald716

I agree. That is happening with one of my schools. I see a slew of rejection letters went out and I got nothing. Also, a number of people have updated stating they are on the wait list. Again, nothing for me. I hope this means good news.

Hi Travelnguy, I applied to ENMU as well. How did you answer that weird essay question about being stranded on an island with a carpenter, doctor, priest, etc... I have no clue how they're going to score that haha. 

Hi Travelnguy, I applied to ENMU as well. How did you answer that weird essay question about being stranded on an island with a carpenter, doctor, priest, etc... I have no clue how they're going to score that haha. 

WHAT? That sounds like the beginning of a bad, tasteless joke! :lol: