So what age are the ages of all you grad school hopefuls this year?

Biostat_Assistant_Prof

it's inspired by a phd comic I saw where the girl in the red sweater (stacy?) meets her colleague, who is now successful, married, and happy. Meanwhile, Stacy is "sitll in school". In that sense, it's depressing.

I'm married and happy, and it's always good to keep growing and learning even if you've "made it." Also, I earned my BA at 27, but for me, I think it was better to be a bit older and wiser.

I don't really care if I'm older than my classmates; I'm just worried about getting in!

I'm a bumpy non-traditional too.  I posted it about it and these are the responses I got:

I don't think age alone is a major factor, if the rest of your application is strong.  People go to grad school in their 50s and 60s, so.

Thanks for sharing your story, margaret!

Are you currently in a program or applying for fall 2013?

@emmm

Just got fucked in the ass by two depts of which I know the faculty well. In fact I know all of the committee members personally and my research statement was designed to help most faculty and their research. At least now I know that qualifications don't matter, which at least means I don't have to work to write more publications.

I know the committees so well that I know who got my spot, someone with no first author publications and almost no research experience.

Good luck on anyone over 35 who got in, must be some fucking magic you're using.

@emmm

Just got fucked in the ass by two depts of which I know the faculty well. In fact I know all of the committee members personally and my research statement was designed to help most faculty and their research. At least now I know that qualifications don't matter, which at least means I don't have to work to write more publications.

I know the committees so well that I know who got my spot, someone with no first author publications and almost no research experience.

Good luck on anyone over 35 who got in, must be some fucking magic you're using.

I'm sorry you didn't get in, but it is presumptuous and dismissive of the other applicants to say it's "your spot". There are any number of reasons you might not have gotten in, and age certainly and unfortunately, is a factor, as unfair as that may be. I know your post is hyperbolic because of your frustration, but there are always things you can improve in your app or even your choice of schools. Qualifications do matter, but so do things like the statement, which really does make or break applications. 

@emmm

Panic Mode, I'm sorry to hear about your rejections.

However, I have to wonder if your grad GPA of 3.6 is part of the issue, not your age or experience.

Edited by midnight streetlight

*sigh* ok why don't I make this really clear. The people who got in are good friends of mine. I know their academic records I know their standing I know what grades they got because they were in the same courses I took (so I know who got in with Cs). I know for a fact that people were admitted with much less of a GPA or academic track record than me.

*sigh* ok why don't I make this really clear. The people who got in are good friends of mine. I know their academic records I know their standing I know what grades they got because they were in the same courses I took (so I know who got in with Cs). I know for a fact that people were admitted with much less of a GPA or academic track record than me.

Sounds like a crappy and disappointing situation. Since you know the ad coms well, perhaps you should ask them why you didn't get in. More tactfully of course, but along the lines of how you can improve your application for next year. 

That does sound incredibly frustrating.

Are you still waiting to hear from other schools?

Nope, which was a big mistake. Next year I will apply to lots more schools. Although not CMU.

Well, good luck! Your CV is certainly impressive, and I think if you cast your net wide next year, you may be pleasantly surprised.

PanicMode, I have seen similar situations play out in the non-academia workplace more times than I can count.  Often people chalk it up to "politics", but that's just another word for favouritism, cronyism, etc.  My guess is that it's a factor in your case as well.  Who knows what the real issues were - many workplaces have the same dynamics as dysfunctional families, where the #1 rule is "pretend everything is OK".  And there's a reason why academia is known as a vipers' nest.

Given the circumstances, it sounds like the adcomm knew you had only applied to their program.  Maybe they interpreted that as hubris, like you thought it was a slam-dunk?  I'm just speculating, but I've seen that kind of toxic "take down tall poppies"  thinking amongst so-called professionals before.

Whatever the reason, it REALLY sucks.  I hope your next round of apps get you a much better result.

So I've got chocolate, hugs and spiced wine for the really young applicants and the older ones because I've been there (or am there - sort of).

I was 20 when I entered my MPP program, and didn't turn 21 until November (this was a year out of undergrad).

Now after after an entire life upheaval that has left me feeling more 35 than 25, if I'm so lucky as to get into a PhD program, I'll turn 26 shortly after the beginning of the year. 

For the older students: bunches of students with life experience get into graduate school - from what I've heard the trouble comes with med school (or dentistry etc...) that said, I've known one person over 40 who was accepted into a top pre-med program and someone in his mid 50s that just received his MD. Point: the only two exceptions I've run across are the only two older people I've known to apply.

For the younger bunch: age doesn't matter. Seriously.

20.  I have gotten weird looks cause people think I'm a teenager, and the not being able to drink thing is also awkward, as others have noted.   

Yeah...it's even more awkward when your newfound friends try to sneak you into graduate social events ; )

I'm 23 and will be 24 by the time I start my PhD. program. I was 22 when I started my MA. I went straight from college to grad school. When I started my MA, I could not wait to finally get done with school. Somewhere along the way that changed; now all I want to do is continue school and my research. 

I am so impressed by the academic drive in you 'kids'! :P  When I was 23 all I could think of was graduating and getting as far away from my university as possible. Honestly, good for you! I hope you do amazing in your studies.

I'm 23 and will be 24 by the time I start my PhD. program. I was 22 when I started my MA. I went straight from college to grad school. When I started my MA, I could not wait to finally get done with school. Somewhere along the way that changed; now all I want to do is continue school and my research.