So what age are the ages of all you grad school hopefuls this year?

Biostat_Assistant_Prof

I'm 23, just finishing up a Masters and will pursue a PhD. I'm one of the youngest people in my program here, but I interviewed with someone at another school who was only 19. She was insanely smart!

I'm 40 and I have very little chance of getting in. The reason is that faculty are looking for kids they can mold and shape into what they think are good copies of themselves. Also when you're younger you're less competition and not much of a threat. I think you have an excellent chance.

Don't give up hope -- I'm a 2nd year PhD student and older than you are :-)

Edited by emmm

Do you really think that? I see many "older" grad students.  I am 39 and I definitely don't think I have "little" chance.  I have a lot of life background and great grades. I also have an insatiable desire that sometimes isn't present at younger ages.  Don't sell yourself short.  If you have the credentials, you have a chance!

I would say that in programs like social work, older applicants are more common, and in the sciences it's still somewhat unusual. However, we do exist. I agree with PanicMode, however, that it is a bit of a battle to get accepted.

Edited by emmm

Any thoughts on whether young students are taken seriously? I'll be starting quite young and I've been wondering how this could affect how I'm viewed as a student within the program.

Unless you make a big deal of it when you start your program, I doubt anyone will give it a second thought. To us old folk, you all look like babies ;-) -- and yes, (most) profs count as old folks (and the young ones will be too stressed and busy to notice you).

Edited by emmm

Your "age" really isn't tied to a number, but your physical and social development.

I knew a person who started college at 22, another who at 17. But nobody really treated them any differently because they were both the same "social age", young college student. I currently fit in perfectly with my coworker friends, who are all 3-4 years older than me.

If you're "treated like a child", it won't be because of your biological age, but your mental maturity.

People get accepted/rejected for all sorts of reasons. Have you spoken with your advisor and asked specifically why you were rejected? You clearly seem to be someone with strong credentials but sometimes it isn't about credentials as much as it is about 'fit'. Dont get me wrong, I would be very upset too. But at the same time, you are not privy to the decision-making process and are really taking a 'best guess' at why they went with someone else. This other person could have brought something to the table that you are not aware of. If I was you, I would try my best to find out where I can improve and try again next year.

@gradschoolmom "If you have the credentials, you have a chance!"

Really? Here are my credentials:

12 conference publications, 2 journal articles and 1 book chapter. 1 patent, 1 award nomination, countless review committees, program committees, invited talks, panels, etc. 16+ years science experience with a prestigious neurosurgery journal article (12 reviewers). Undergrad GPA: 3.82, Current Grad GPA: 3.62. h-index: 7.

I just got rejected from the PhD program where my advisor instead picked someone who has ZERO first author publications and only about 2 years of experience. However, this person is about 15 years younger than me.

23, will be turning 24 this summer.  Did I read correctly when someone said mid-teens lol?  In any case, younger or older everyone brings something interesting and different to the table.

Yep. Anyone else here under 18?

Edited by dat_nerd

I'm 22 and will be 23 when I start. I'm going into an MPP program so I have a feeling many people will be older than me. Thats okay, I don't think it really matters all that much.

That being said...I'd be surprised if anyone was under 18 and applying to graduate school. You would essentially have to be a child genius to finish high school and college that quickly. I guess it does happen though!

I'll be days away from 24 if/when I start this year.  Agree with comments above -- age is just a number!  You gotta do what you love, no matter how long it took for you to pull the trigger.

Best wishes!

I'm 39 and I just had an interview at Princeton. Three published books, lots of work experience, but I still don't know what are my chances. But there were two other "older" guys at the same time...

I'm 32, and I have no idea if age matters in admissions.

I'll be honest: I'm worried that my somewhat bumpy nontraditional path may be a deterrent; however, I can't go back 10 years and live my life over again, so I have to look forward, not backward.

I'm 32, and I have no idea if age matters in admissions.

I'll be honest: I'm worried that my somewhat bumpy nontraditional path may be a deterrent; however, I can't go back 10 years and live my life over again, so I have to look forward, not backward.

I'm a bumpy non-traditional too.  I posted it about it and these are the responses I got:

I don't think age alone is a major factor, if the rest of your application is strong.  People go to grad school in their 50s and 60s, so.

i'm 22, and will be when i start my MA program. i'm using this year to work so i won't feel so green going into it- most people assumed i'm taking time off because i would be relatively young (21 isn't the youngest, but it's on the young side of the spectrum), but it's because i knew that i'd be surrounded by students who had a lot more professional experience than i did, and life experience in general, so i didn't want to be totally clueless. 

I've always thought it'd be depressing to finally graduate from school at the ripe age of 26 or 27, but I guess I'm just a young blood here. I wonder if the tight job market is causing people to go back to school.

I've always thought it'd be depressing to finally graduate from school at the ripe age of 26 or 27, but I guess I'm just a young blood here. I wonder if the tight job market is causing people to go back to school.

:mellow: :mellow:.... depressing is a strong word....

Edited by epsilon