So what age are the ages of all you grad school hopefuls this year?

Biostat_Assistant_Prof

24 turning 25 in Dec. :) I wouldn't feel weird about being "too young" - there's not that much of a difference between 21 and 24 (aside from degrees of liver damage, I can't think of much! ;) ) Anyhow, the average age of US gradute students is 28 nowadays!

@gradschoolmom "If you have the credentials, you have a chance!"

Really? Here are my credentials:

12 conference publications, 2 journal articles and 1 book chapter. 1 patent, 1 award nomination, countless review committees, program committees, invited talks, panels, etc. 16+ years science experience with a prestigious neurosurgery journal article (12 reviewers). Undergrad GPA: 3.82, Current Grad GPA: 3.62. h-index: 7.

I just got rejected from the PhD program where my advisor instead picked someone who has ZERO first author publications and only about 2 years of experience. However, this person is about 15 years younger than me.

Five years off after high school, graduated undergrad at 26, 1 year off after undergrad, 1 year in a masters program before switching to the 'right' one, two years there.  Should I be accepted I'll have just turned 31.

I actually think age isn't a big factor.  In education (my field) there were 50-somethings with full careers working on Ed.Ds and Ph.Ds, as well as 22-24 year olds in the same program.  I was slightly on the higher end, but not significantly so.  Every age and type of background offers something.

In response to PanicMode, I don't think schools intend to mold individuals.  That seems cynical.  I like to think if you find the right program/POI, then you're okay.  Best of luck to you...and in agreement with a previous post, the field you're in dramatically alters the average age, such as education.  Not many principals returning for doctorates who are in their 20s.

@gradschoolmom "If you have the credentials, you have a chance!"

Really? Here are my credentials:

12 conference publications, 2 journal articles and 1 book chapter. 1 patent, 1 award nomination, countless review committees, program committees, invited talks, panels, etc. 16+ years science experience with a prestigious neurosurgery journal article (12 reviewers). Undergrad GPA: 3.82, Current Grad GPA: 3.62. h-index: 7.

I just got rejected from the PhD program where my advisor instead picked someone who has ZERO first author publications and only about 2 years of experience. However, this person is about 15 years younger than me.

That would tick me off too.

Will be 25 when I start grad school. I've spent a year working full-time in industry and living abroad, so I feel like I've acquired "life experience" and maybe even a bit of maturity. 

Don't think the age of my cohorts matter too much - I look forward all to their youthful energy! :P

i just turned 27 and i graduated with my part-time MA last year

When i first considered applying to PhD programs, i thought I might be too old

but the more i read online and the more i talk to my professors, the more i realize mid-late 20s tend to be a pretty good age to embark on a PhD program because we have certain life experiences and we have a better idea of what we really want having been in the "real world" for a while

I'm 40. Have a LOT of various work/life experience & 2 undergrad degrees (BA & BSc) with high grades. I'm not really worried & I seriously don't think my age will be a deterrent. Maybe it depends on which program you're applying to? I've applied for MLIS. The impression I've gotten from faculty, students, etc is that they actually prefer people who have interesting backgrounds vs cookie cutter fresh-out-of-undergrad types. Maybe I'm wrong and like I said, it probably has a lot to do with which program you're applying for (and, of course, masters vs PhD).

I'm 26, will be 27 when I start school. I expect a good chunk of people in my program will be straight out of undergrad. And I also expect that they will probably have more direct experience than I will, so I'll be happy to learn from their experiences.

Looks like I am the oldest of the bunch, at 43!  

I think my chances are just as bad as all our chances here.  Lots of people wanting very few spots and limited funding.  Having the credentials doesn't always get you in and lacking the credentials doesn't always keep you out.  Good luck to everyone reaching for the gold ring... unless you are applying to my top choice!!  LOL!

I am 28 and except for the idea of moving now that I already own a condo, I feel it's the perfect time to start.  For me, personally, if I hadn't worked for a few years first, I wouldn't have known exactly what I wanted to pursue.  I don't think age is what matters.  It's knowing what you want to go for and having the passion to do well at it.  No one knows exactly what each school is looking for.   I am hoping to meet a lot of people at varying degrees of experience in my program - it is that kind of diversity that makes for the best learning environment.  

Any thoughts on whether young students are taken seriously? I'll be starting quite young and I've been wondering how this could affect how I'm viewed as a student within the program.

All of my friends who went to grad school went straight out of undergrad and were 21 or 22. None of them seemed to have any problems or had any concerns over their age. If the program didn't take you seriously, then they wouldn't accept you, and once you're in, I assume their opinion of you is going to be based on your own performance.