Master's SSHRC 2013

GradSchoolLove

I have been very hopeful lately! And I started following SSHRC too!

But that may be more due to the fact that I just, just found out what being A-listed by my university actually meant. All this time I thought being A-listed meant that you made it to the next round of competition, which was very nice, but in competing with the rest of the country I figured I didn't have a chance. Just recently did I bother researching the evaluation process to find out that every university is allocated a certain number of awards.

I'm still pinching myself! Although... I'm very afraid that at this point I'll become that 1% of people who don't get it because of budget cuts, or because of some fine print that makes me not eligible... I hope we find out soon!

Does anybody know how Western University deals with external awards? I know my funding package will change, but I can't find anything on their "clawback/top-up" policy, if they have one at all. So if anyone has experience with such things at Western, I would really appreciate hearing about your experience!

I will be attending Western for my MA in Classics in Sept. Their funding offer does change considerably when you win a SSHRC/OGS. My original offer was $18,000 (which included a few grand in entrance scholarships, ta ships, and general funding), then when I was awarded an OGS which is $15,000, it went up to $24,000 ($15,000 plus roughly $9,000 TAship). I was told if i win a SSHRC my total funding would go up to $28,000.  I think Western's Factulty of Graduate Studies has a fairly standardized funding package, so yours should be something similar.

It obviously goes up quite a bit, but they do 'clawback' some of the funding. I'm pinching myself too! $28,000 to stay in school? YES PLEASE!

My application made it out of the school, but I never recieved a letter from SSHRC saying they recieved it. So I have no clue what is going on.  Has anyone gotten a positive yes yet? I am a bit paranoid as my summer work takes me out into the bush where the postman never goes. I am hoping to get an email response as that would be the simplest form of communication.

Hi Kris,

Thanks for providing some answers to folks. I received this message a few weeks ago when I inquired about the quota and process:

"Our office is not able to release the rankings of individual students but that does not affect you at the national level.  We send the list of applicants forwarded alphabetically so that SSHRC does not know the internal ranking of each applicant.  Results from SSHRC will be announced anytime between May – June and all students will be notified before the university"

That seems to indicate that internal rankings don't actually impact SSHRC results. I understand someone else was told that there is no evaluation at the national level; however, there must be if rankings are not made clear to SSHRC?

Really?! That is interesting, I was not told that at all.  But it makes sense why there's a 99% approval rate, maybe the 1% doesn't have to do with rank, it has to actually do with SSHRC does not approve? I have no idea but that is interesting news thank you for sharing :) 

Is it Mid-May yet? I have a friend that found out on May 13th last year. It would be really nice to know since if I don't get the SSHRC I'll be able to look for non-RA contract jobs that are more than 10 hours a week...something I've sort of been delaying because I don't want to be that jerk that accepts a job offer then declines later on. 

I'm getting so antsy about this! I really want to find out whether or not I'm getting this grant. Not only because it would be very exciting to get it, but also because I really need to know what my financial situation will be when I start in September. I'm in the process of looking for apartments near my university and don't even know what my price range is! I just want to know one way or the other already...

Getting a bit antsy now. When I emailed SSHRC earlier this month about an information change, they said it's best to wait til results are out. On this same email from May 1, they said "Results of the Master’s competition will be sent by regular mail later this month."

I'm in Vancouver. Friend last year said she heard in early June, which is just awful. I mean, they've had our applications for about 104 years, and the doctoral SSHRCs are already adjudicated!

Getting a bit antsy now. When I emailed SSHRC earlier this month about an information change, they said it's best to wait til results are out. On this same email from May 1, they said "Results of the Master’s competition will be sent by regular mail later this month."

I'm in Vancouver. Friend last year said she heard in early June, which is just awful. I mean, they've had our applications for about 104 years, and the doctoral SSHRCs are already adjudicated!

I know. I hope they send them out by Friday. According to twitter, they did reply to someone who asked, and said mid may. 

It's "mid May" by anyone's standards. I'm watching the twitter feed like a hawk. However, I'm rural so I know it will be a while even after they are mailed. Everyone please post when you get your letter!

So Concordia just let the cat out of the bag! I got it!

STATS

Applied in first year of Masters' on basis of undergraduate grades

GPA: 3.9

RAships: 1

Awards: 5

Uh...dunno what other info to provide!

Yes Concordia did! I am SO happy!

Just finished B.A. Honours Religious Studies, Minor Poli Sci

Cumulative GPA: 4.11

RA-ships: 1.

Also not sure what else to include.

Will post SSHRC scores as soon as I receive them.

Congrats to everyone!

For those of you who have heard, have you received your letters in the mail or have you found out through your school? I haven't seen anything on the twitter feed about the results being announced but am getting too anxious for my own good. A big congratulations to those of you who were successful, by the way!!

Same scenario as Jekawrites (and same school).

My GPD told me to expect an official letter to my mailing address in the near future.

Yes Concordia did! I am SO happy!

Just finished B.A. Honours Religious Studies, Minor Poli Sci

Cumulative GPA: 4.11

RA-ships: 1.

Also not sure what else to include.

Will post SSHRC scores as soon as I receive them.

Congrats to everyone!

Congratulations! Did you hear from your undergraduate university that you applied through, or the school at which you indicated you wanted to pursue graduate studies? 

I received a congratulations notice from my supervisor a week ago, but no official word from my university or SSHRC yet.

My department at McGill says they received notice of the winners from the graduate studies office, but that students should be receiving notice from SSHRC. In other words, they know, but aren't allowed to tell me. :P

Well, I'm sure the letters are on their way by now. Probably another week or so and most people will have their letters!